Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-09-2019, 18:36   #1
Wackadoodle

GAMSAT March 2020

Hi folks,

I’m a nurse, currently working in emergency department. Graduated with a 1.1 in 2017

Am very interested in studying GEM. Hoping to sit GAMSAT in March 2020. Looking for advice and tips on study material to use to prepare. Particularly for the chemistry and physics as have no background of these at all.

Has anyone attended the gradmed prep courses held in Dublin?

Thanks
Advertisement
15-09-2019, 14:44   #2
APower79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wackadoodle View Post
Hi folks,

I’m a nurse, currently working in emergency department. Graduated with a 1.1 in 2017

Am very interested in studying GEM. Hoping to sit GAMSAT in March 2020. Looking for advice and tips on study material to use to prepare. Particularly for the chemistry and physics as have no background of these at all.

Has anyone attended the gradmed prep courses held in Dublin?

Thanks
Hi! I’m interested in doing it to but need to do a lot of study!! I’ve heard most people say the courses are overpriced and not necessary but I think I’d feel more confident after doing one
Thanks from:
15-09-2019, 20:40   #3
Wackadoodle

Hi APower,

After reading loads of threads here on the exam I’m going to try prepping without the course for now using khan academy and the ACER prep material. Hoping it will be enough, might review that decision in January if it’s still not making sense !
Worse case scenario I think March will be a practice run at the exam and will retry in September if necessary

What’s your background in?
16-09-2019, 22:32   #4
Scuid Mhór

Hello everyone,

Similar to you Wackadoodle, I'll be sitting this exam in March too, any personal recommendations as to what to study (materials, etc) and if any particular prep courses are helpful would be massively appreciated. I have a non-science background also.

Looking forward to discussing how things are going as we come closer to the day.
Thanks from:
21-09-2019, 18:03   #5
lucasmaximus

I have a gamsat of 59 from September 2018, just missed out on a place in UCD and wasn't in a position this year to move to Cork or Limerick. Gonna re-sit in March just to see if I can improve on it but have the 59 still valid for next year and can prepare for the costs of moving over the coming year.

I sat the gamsat in Setpember 2017 and got 54 so I had a marked improvement, having done next to no study for the first one, I spent around 3-4 hours most evenings for a month prior to the 2018 one watching the youtube Gold videos going through the published sample exams and found it very beneficial.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
08-10-2019, 09:39   #6
BeckiB

Hi I'll let you know my opinion of some of the materials I bought as I got quite a few, personally I wouldn't spend hundreds or even thousands on some of the courses advertised. I didn't do any personally but I know a couple of people who did and they were both disappointed.

As Lucas above said the Gold videos on Youtube are great for the science. The book wasn't quite as good but maybe worth getting if you struggle with the science. Another book that is great for all 3 sections is Griffiths Gamsat Review as it covers all three plus some pretty good general strategies for the test etc. I found it most useful for section 2.

The Des O Neill books are mainly good for lots of question practice but may be getting a bit out of date now as they're no longer in print but you can get second hand copies or PDF copies.

Those are the three most people use, there are some others I got but they weren't that good so I won't go into them.
09-10-2019, 11:08   #7
Washiwill

I agree with BeckiB above regarding the Gamsat Review book I found that enormously helpful. Also have a look for the Gold Standard videos on Youtube particularly for their worked answers to the ACER books. Also have a look at the Khan academy and TED talks for ideas for s.2
10-10-2019, 11:33   #8
DANCER97

I have a large amount of Gamsat material including practice tests and other material including des O’Neill etc. Selling for a reasonable price.
14-10-2019, 10:49   #9
Bee2019

All you need to ace the Gamsat !

Including books, 1000's of practice questions, over 10 exam papers, acer exam papers, and much more. Material from Gradmed and Goldstandard S3 courses also included.

ACE the gamsat bibles in pdf also included.

S1&2 material, sample essays, articles, notes and the meaning of things book also included.

You really do not require anything else to succeed.

PM if interested !

Wackadoodle- i also have the gradmed material included for a fraction of the price. Good luck with your study
Advertisement
Yesterday, 11:37   #10
somebodylikeme

Hello,

I am also planning to sit GAMSAT in March. I sat it once before during the worst time of my life and just missed out on the entry score by two points. I have not studied chemistry or physics before either so it is daunting.

I personally like to work through textbooks. I have two that I am flicking through for chemistry and one so far for physics. What I have found is that each textbook has a different way of presenting the information and phrasing concepts so having different books to consult has helped me get a better understanding of what I'm reading.

So far I have a really old chemistry book that I found for free (it's from about 1993) and then I use library books for the others.

I bought the Gold Standard book which to me was a waste of money, and I bought the AceGamsat guides. I think the latter are better for revision rather than for learning about topics one has no background in.

To supplement my learning I also use Khan Academy and Youtube videos as sometimes it's just really helpful to watch someone explaining and working through problems.

I have heard the prep courses are very expensive and not worth the money. Having never attended one I wouldn't really be able to say. I suppose it is a personal thing but I've decided not to waste that money and just to stick to learning the material myself!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion