Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wenger to leave Arsenal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,735 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    5th favorite from what I’m seeing

Vieira, Low, Tuchel, Ancelloti then Rodgers.

5th now.

Was 1st.

I'd imagine it'll be a rapidly changing market over the next few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Conte will probably be looking for a job in the next few weeks.

Could be an outside bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭brevity

SlickRic wrote: »
    I'm biased, but Arsenal could do worse than Rafa Benitez.

Was going to say something similar. He could do great things at Arsenal.

They need to go for experience. Someone who has won things and managed at a high level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Conte will probably be looking for a job in the next few weeks.

Could be an outside bet.

Think he’ll be heading back to Italy. Probably the national team.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Think he’ll be heading back to Italy. Probably the national team.

Depends if and where Allegri goes, he could end up back at Juventus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Simeone would be my first choice, he'd whip that squad into shape!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

brevity wrote: »
    They need to go for experience. Someone who has won things and managed at a high level.
    Sure we already had that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,025 ✭✭✭duffman13

Constantly changing odds, Jogi Low just flew up the betting :) I'd be surprised if there is someone already selected as I couldn't see the bookies having the shortest odds at 8-1 if Viera was already signed. It'll be an interesting time for Arsenal, the transition to new manager won't be anywhere near as bad compared to Fergie leaving considering what Wenger is leaving behind in terms of league position etc

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/arsenal/next-permanent-manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I’d want Tuchel if I was an Arsenal fan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

John Delaney has been on to him

Carrying him for a few pints :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,800 ✭✭✭irelandrover

duffman13 wrote: »
    Constantly changing odds, Jogi Low just flew up the betting :) I'd be surprised if there is someone already selected as I couldn't see the bookies having the shortest odds at 8-1 if Viera was already signed. It'll be an interesting time for Arsenal, the transition to new manager won't be anywhere near as bad compared to Fergie leaving considering what Wenger is leaving behind in terms of league position etc

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/arsenal/next-permanent-manager

Id agree with that. United had an aging squad that needed a huge overhaul. Arsenal have a good quality squad that has appeared terribly coached this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭brevity

Nixonbot wrote: »
    Sure we already had that :D

Wenger in!

Arsenal need to be very carefull who they sign. Its a very exciting opportunity for a manager. Lots of good players, time and money and a good location.

Don't give it to someone green. Or Rodgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

RIP AFTV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,206 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

End of an Era stuff for Arsenal and the Premier League.

Radically changed the game in England, one of the best managers the league has seen even with his flaws. Sadly I feel he hung on a bit too long and has begun to hurt the club he undoubtedly loves. He did earn the right to go out on his own terms I just feel he misjudged the timing, his unwillingness to adapt over the last few years or spend the money needed to keep Arsenal up there with the elite of European football has set them back and it may take a while to right that.

Then again, who am I to judge him. The United/Arsenal rivalry of the late 90's/early 00's was excellent and it would not have happened without Arsene Wenger.

In time the last couple of seasons will be forgotten and his overall legacy will be remembered with the respect and appreciation it deserves.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

It had to happen eventually, and they have been standing still for the past few years.

But with a new manager, especially if it is a 'top level' manager, we will see just how much of that failure to progress was down to Wenger himself, and how much was not.

I don't really know whay they would go for somebody as unproven as Vieira - they are an attractive job for all but a handful of managers in the world, I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,206 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

gandalf wrote: »
    Simeone would be my first choice, he'd whip that squad into shape!

Be one hell of a culture shock for the fans and the squad to go from attacking football to safety first workmanlike defensive tactics. Could work out if given the time and resources but it would be a huge change.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I can't see them going for Simone, completely the wrong fit. Something like that is probably needed but I don't think the board will go for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Lucas Hood wrote:
    I’d want Tuchel if I was an Arsenal fan.

Given that he's all been but confirmed for PSG I doubt he'd go. Sven Mislintat is at arsenal so it's a no goer. Ancelotti is probably the most realistic atm. Loew maybe too but like Enrique they have better squads to work with than what they'll arrive to Arsenal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,774 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

You have to feel kind of disgusted with how Arsenal fans have treated Wenger, he has been practically hounded out of the club. Is there any loyalty left in football, even for a legend like Wenger?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

You have to feel kind of disgusted with how Arsenal fans have treated Wenger, he has been practically hounded out of the club. Is there any loyalty left in football, even for a legend like Wenger?

At the same time most big clubs around would have sacked Wenger years ago as a Barcelona, Bayern, Juve or Madrid wouldn't wipe their asses with domestic cups or just qualifying for the champions league

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

It's way too soon for Vieira to be getting the job so I hope he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

He ruined English football when he banned chips and ketchup in the cafeteria

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Great manager in his day but that day in fairness has gone now, time and tide as they say.

Arsenal are a huge club and will be more competitive next season so really will be pool 4 from 6 for CL, could make it interesting at least as this season has been over for the important places at the top for the past few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Carlo Ancelotti would be a great fit for the club if they were willing to give him a few years to develop his own squad and game.

Until the a successor is officially announced you'll hear everyone linked to the job.

I reckon Arsenal have all but agreed a deal with someone, they wouldn't have pulled the trigger on Wenger before the summer otherwise, IMO.

Carlo Ancelotti would be a great fit for the club if they were willing to give him a few years to develop his own squad and game.

His training methods leave a lot to be desired, if you believe Bayern players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,025 ✭✭✭duffman13

Couldn't agree less, the mark of respect he received is that it's been about 10 years since he competed at the top table. Arsenal have been an also ran for a number of years, good run of fo rm followed by a relative implosion.

There were periods of time under Fergie where United fans lost faith etc but Ferguson always recovered after a season or two to build another title winning team. Wenger didn't and Arsenal fans are justified in wanting him gone IMO.

He will get a good deserved send off but this was a decision that if made 3 or 4 years would have been better for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Nixonbot wrote: »
    His training methods leave a lot to be desired, if you believe Bayern players.

That's on example in his illustrious career and that is prob more down to players getting too used to Peps teams. Carlo gives players more freedom on how to approach it, trusts seniors players judgement etc. Pep is dogmatic, my way or die

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,343 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Yes and they could do a lot better.

a little better maybe (i.e. Simeone or maybe Conte and Tuchel if they're gettable).

Rafa is not far off, whether you want to believe it or not.

duffman13 wrote: »
    Couldn't agree less, the mark of respect he received is that it's been about 10 years since he competed at the top table. Arsenal have been an also ran for a number of years, good run of fo rm followed by a relative implosion.

There were periods of time under Fergie where United fans lost faith etc but Ferguson always recovered after a season or two to build another title winning team. Wenger didn't and Arsenal fans are justified in wanting him gone IMO.

He will get a good deserved send off but this was a decision that if made 3 or 4 years would have been better for everyone

Arsenal still have a crack at winning the Europa League and securing a Champions League spot. Sacking the manager before then makes no sense to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Arsenal still have a crack at winning the Europa League and securing a Champions League spot. Sacking the manager before then makes no sense to me.

He wasn't sacked(officially).

He is still there to win it.

Securing a cl spot is not what Arsenal fans and management considers a success tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

When Wenger first arrived from Japan, he was mocked as 'Arsene Who?'. Pundits weren't so smug two years later.

I'm a United fan and I have the utmost of respect for him. He was a breath of fresh air.

He revolutionised a traditionally dogged English team into a cavalier Arsenal with skilful players in every position. Even Tony Adams became more cultured!!

His highlights are definitely the 1998 overhaul of Manchester United, when they kept winning and winning to overturn a seemingly unassailable lead. The icing on that cake was the win at Old Trafford.

The Invincibles in 2004..... 38 games unbeaten. It's unfathomable how a club can visit 19 away grounds and not lose any. That feat will be hard to repeat.

It's been 13 years since a league title and they've been parsimonious with the cash. Has he overstayed? Probably.

I'm not joking when I say I'd rather have Wenger at Old Trafford than Mourinho. He would understand the United way of rampaging wingers and attacking football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,401 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Meh, how much are fans supposed to take? The first decade of #wengerball was phenomenal, culminating in 10 men being within 15 minutes of the European Cup. The next maybe half decade was acceptable in the context of the club paying for an ambitious stadium investment and Wenger toying with philosophical purity in terms of tactical approach.

Seven seasons in a row losing in the round of 16 in the Champions League, until eventually not qualifying. Years in a row of squad after squad with similar structural deficiencies, similar tactical / mental flaws, and an avalanche of total and utter disingenuous rubbish in media appearances. I actually salute Arsenal fans for rationally accepting a baseline of acceptable performance (finishing in the top four) for so many seasons before becoming obviously discontent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Announcing it now allows arsenal fans to rally behind the team and give him a good send off by winning the Europa league.

Kinda obvious why they announced it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Lukker- wrote: »
    That's on example in his illustrious career and that is prob more down to players getting too used to Peps teams. Carlo gives players more freedom on how to approach it, trusts seniors players judgement etc. Pep is dogmatic, my way or die

I think he would be a disaster, too many senior players already coasting along

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Sad news and makes me feel a little older, just like the retirement of Fergie and Giggs.

Hopefully now his critics will stop the OTT vitriol and treating him as if he were the anti-Christ because of the fact he couldn't win the league, despite operating on a much less significant war chest to his rivals.

When judging his career as a whole I think he will be assessed in a hugely positive light, including the last couple of years and the FA Cup successes which will stand the test of time - unlike the top four finishes modern fans fetishize which mean jack sh*t after a couple of years (as Wenger himself could attest given how frequently he provided them and how little currency it gained him).

Best of luck to Arsene in the future - and indeed to Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,323 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I don't know.

Utd. fans hounded Moyes and Van Gaal out of their club before they had been given a chance. Liverpool fans did the same with a number of managers as well, longing for the glory days that weren't coming back. Chelsea fans have been saved by their board turning on a manager before they could. Wenger got plenty of time and space compared to all of those, in fact, apart from Utd under Ferguson, no group of fans have put up with a manager as long.

What is a little unsavoury are the people expressing joy and happiness at his departure. A little more respect would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

It's best for everyone, Arsenal has been like a sexless marriage for the last 6/7 years. Wenger should have headed for PSG long ago, only idiotic Arsenal fans will remember him with disdain.

Mr.H wrote: »
    Announcing it now allows arsenal fans to rally behind the team and give him a good send off by winning the Europa league.

Kinda obvious why they announced it now.
    The fans might rally around him, but the players certainly won't. Why bother playing for a manager who won't be there next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Whoever is manager he will still have same bunch of players. Time for club to be run like other clubs and not how clubs should be run money wise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭DvB

How long before the odious Piers Morgan changes his attitude & starts praising him, having been a poster boy for all the ignorant dispicable bile being thrown at AW for the last year or so... an utterly disgusting human being who will have no shame in taking credit for his leaving no dount & then be a hypocrite by lauding his achievements with the next breath..
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,401 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The fans might rally around him, but the players certainly won't. Why bother playing for a manager who won't be there next year.

The players should play hard in their remaining European games because they're three games away from a major trophy and qualification to the big show under a new regime. It just removes any tension with his approach, etc because everyone now knows where they stand. I expect this improves their chances as a group against Athletico.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,343 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

How about his best 11?

Seaman
    Lauren Adams Campbell Cole
    Sanchez Vieira Fabregas Pires
    Bergkamp
    Henry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭DvB

How about his best 11?

Seaman
    Bergkamp
    Henry

I'd have Petit in alongside Vieira ahead of Cesc. Those two were a real team in the middle of the pitch.

Overmars on the bench with Keown and RvP & mad Jens as back up to able bodied.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I expect this improves their chances as a group against Athletico.
    It won't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

I think the opposite applies to be honest.

A lot of that squad are how playing for the future. Whoever the new manager is will be getting rid of any dead weight. So the current crop are playing to either stay in the squad or to get attention in the transfer market. Then there is the fact he senior players or long term players will want to show wenger the respect he deserves.

This is a great time for arsenal fans now. A time of excitement. They should all get behind wenger and celebrate their best ever period in their clubs history. Don't focus on the bad, but talk up the amazing stuff wenger has done.

They do need an experienced manager though. If they want someone like Viera I would hope they make him assistant to someone like anchelloti. What is the story with simieone? Also Wagner coups be a good shout? I love Rafa but not a chance would arsenal fans accept him or would his football work for them. Rodgers would be a good fit but wouldn't get a chance either. Tuncl or Garcia? Must be exciting for you arsenal fans though.

Arsenal fans, who would you want as the next manager?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

I'm not sure I understand.

Do you think the players don't want Champions League next year?

How about his best 11?

Seaman
    Bergkamp
    Henry

Not far off. I think Sagna at his best was as good as Lauren, and I wouldn't be sure on Sanchez. Great player but not a great team player. Ljungberg maybe, or Overmars (although both Sanchez and Overmars both played on the left)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

How about his best 11?

Seaman
    Bergkamp
    Henry

I'd agree with them all besides Sanchez, hes not better than Parlour for me :pac:
    Wiltord has played on the wing, stick him in there or old Freddy even in recent years Ozil
    Forgot Overmars, hes easily ahead of Sanchez

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

I'm not sure I understand.

Do you think the players don't want Champions League next year?

and the sweet sweet bonuses that come with it

• Advertisement
Advertisement