Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jamie Carragher: Spitting and suspension from Sky

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Go to bed and stop embarrassing yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Please stop saying faux outrage while being faux outraged at everyone

Faux ception.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I blame Suarez and his introducing Merseyside to different cultures, greetings and terms of endearment. Maybe in some cultures spitting on kids is a greeting.

Seeing as you went there. It is actually a sign of approval.

Spits and nasal discharged are really interesting as depending
    For example most here would find it repugnant for someone to blow their noses directly their pavement while walking. The same people who find that acceptable could not fathom why you'd blow your nose into a handkerchief and then place that hanky into your pocket - to them that is disgusting!

Disgust is largely a cultural thing.

In Carraghers culture spitting is revolting - and the key thing is he damn well knew this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Go to bed and stop embarrassing yourself.
    Deflection doesn’t distract from your behavior.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Deflection doesn’t distract from your behavior.

Good man.

Good man.

Thank you.
    Now get to bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

garra wrote: »
    Morrissey would love to meet a hot-headed knacker like Carra

Don't bring greatness into this conversation! Lol!

Mod:

Munster and will I amnt either cut out the crap or stop posting in the thread.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Seeing as you went there. It is actually a sign of approval.

Spits and nasal discharged are really interesting as depending
    For example most here would find it repugnant for someone to blow their noses directly their pavement while walking. The same people who find that acceptable could not fathom why you'd blow your nose into a handkerchief and then place that hanky into your pocket - to them that is disgusting!

Disgust is largely a cultural thing.

In Carraghers culture spitting is revolting - and the key thing is he damn well knew this!

I blow my nose into my hands and pat people on the back. :)

My post was in jest,we won't go any further down that road.

• Advertisement

I blow my nose into my hands and pat people on the back. :)

My post was in jest,we won't go any further down that road.

I know it was. But you know cultures, humans, they're interesting folk. :) it's actually a fun road to explore.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Mod:

Munster and will I amnt either cut out the crap or stop posting in the thread.

I’m finished. Just don’t like being called scummy by strangers on the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,655 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I presume there's a good chance that's the end of him as a big time pundit. Whatever led up to it, it doesn't look that good.

Arghus wrote: »
    I presume there's a good chance that's the end of him as a big time pundit. Whatever led up to it, it doesn't look that good.
    Could be very hard to come back from it. It could have led to a very serious road rage incident.
    Sky has plenty of options for analysts, so an easy decision if they want to go that way.

• I've shared some thoughts on this already in the Utd thread as have others and to be fair most have been fairly level headed responses.

As I've said such utter stupidity from Carragher, disgusting behaviour.

Even if this irresponsible idiot with his child in the back seat goading him is on his phone, you just shouldn't react like that when you are someone in a position of influence and are publicly known.
    He's surely got to use common sense, he's knows this stuff will always happen in the public domain.

I think he's ruined his career.

As for lads making this a willy waving contest by dragging Utd into the thread when it has absolutely nothing got to do with the incident. Cop on. And stop trying to twist it by completely negating what Carragher did. Jesus it's as bad as the lads a few weeks back defending the racial abuse of Evra and defending John Arne Resse for kicking it all off.

I'm not sure what the thread has to do with soccer. It's just provoking childish tribal behaviours.

If it was done by a retired accountant would this be in Business and Finance?

As it is a TV person, why is it not in TV?

It entirely looks like a cheap shooting posted thread to abuse another club made by a Man U fan.

• Advertisement

Mick I heard a rumor it was you in the car?

The Lucas Neill challenge was brought up in an earlier post.Carragher said he'd rather be spat at than have a leg breaker of a challenge on him when doing an article on the Evans/Cisse incident,he went on to call spitting at anyone "disgusting and vile". Years later,he spits at a kid.

I'm not sure what the thread has to do with soccer. It's just provoking childish tribal behaviours.

It entirely looks like a cheap shooting posted thread to abuse another club made by a Man U fan.

He's an ex player who we all know and who makes his living talking about football on the TV, seems plenty relevant.

• Mick I heard a rumor it was you in the car?

Haha, I wouldn't be surprised if I got the blame!! :)

• I'm not sure what the thread has to do with soccer. It's just provoking childish tribal behaviours.

I'd agree it probably didn't warrant a thread but it's completely relative to Football. We have had plenty of threads about various ****ty incidents that haven't involved players from Utd or Liverpool so this should be no different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Why even try defend it, he's a scumbag for doing it.

Sure we all know football is basically a soap opera really, this is just the latest juicy storyline.

I posted this in the United thread.

https://twitter.com/_AndyHa/status/972956261695279104

• Arghus wrote: »
    Sure we all know football is basically a soap opera really, this is just the latest juicy storyline.

It's a shame though. Neville and Carragher was decent enough entertainment all the same even if 50% of the time they ramble alot.
    Sky will roll in someone else I suspect but they lose that bit appeal to the majority fanbase that is Utd & Liverpool.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    It's a shame though. Neville and Carragher was decent enough entertainment all the same even if 50% of the time they ramble alot.
    Sky will roll in someone else I suspect but they lose that bit appeal to the majority fanbase that is Utd & Liverpool.

Carragher putting Souness in his box was a thing of beauty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Spitting is scummy etc etc etc.

I must say though, I bet it would really stick in the throat having to apologise to that bellend father, you just know the scumbag would be all self righteous and smug about it.

Anyway, from a selfish point of view I always preferred Monday night football before Carragher came along, it was better when Neville had more time to expand on points so I'll be happy enough if he gets sidelined for a while.

Thats about as much concern I have about a millionaire spitting on a dickhead.

Carragher was a player not really known for his technique and befitting that his spray of phlegmatic spew seems rather argicultural in delivery.

I'd say if it had been the likes of Messi or the original Ronaldo, back in his pomp, you'd wonder if they'd finesse the spray right down the throat of the aggravating motorist with precision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Ah its grand Jamie Redknapp can take his place!

Oh god........

Oh god........

His analysis of the incident.

"And it's an early shower for you young one".

If Carragher goes I'd see them bringing in Frank or Henry (please no), tbh I'd prefer them to keep him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,446 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

He spat as a sign of disrespect to the idiot harassing him. He did not walk up to a 14 year old and spit in her face.
    And I doubt it hit her face. Larger pieces blew past in wind, and by the laws of physics the smaller pieces could not have hit her. Video shows it all blowing by 1 foot from Carragher, must have been 10-12 feet to other car and in a head wind. Simply not possible to hit her, he's not Superman. Great story though that it hit her.
    Not defending him, but no way he hit her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Pretty sure you can get done for assault on that, he could end up with a major legal headache out of all this. That said, yer man recording it would drop himself in the **** by doing so given he's basically driving dangerously himself.

I reckon a suspension is incoming from sky, docking of wages and a grovelling apology, but i wouldn't like to see him off the screen, him and Neville are quality. Still dirty knacker behaviour that should be punished though

Oh god........

Keys and Grays partner in crime who somehow wiggled out of it.

He spat as a sign of disrespect to the idiot harassing him. He did not walk up to a 14 year old and spit in her face.
    And I doubt it hit her face. Larger pieces blew past in wind, and by the laws of physics the smaller pieces could not have hit her. Video shows it all blowing by 1 foot from Carragher, must have been 10-12 feet to other car and in a head wind. Simply not possible to hit her, he's not Superman. Great story though that it hit her.

If Sky ever have an opening for a spit analyst you should really consider it.

Somehow you've outdone that '70% possession...13 corners...14 shots...they won on the day but Barca, PSG, Real and Liverpool would be embarrassed to play the way United do' post you put up yesterday.

Are you honestly trying to get the moral victory out of this incident as well?

'Not like he walked up to a 14 year old and spat in her face'.

Good, cause then it would have been bad, right?

Keys and Grays partner in crime who somehow wiggled out of it.

I'd say a Redknapp spit would be fairly watery and bland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,494 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

It’s sad but not surprising to see fans of a certain team in here foaming at the mouth (pun very much intended) at what Carragher did. It was the height of scumbaggery without a doubt, but there’s a vocal majority using the incident to score points over another set of fans, and that’s just a little bit desperate.

Keep at it anyway lads, not like you’ve ever defended players who assaulted fans. Sure one of ye is even named after such a man. :rolleyes:

Wrong thing to do, but I doubt he'd have done it had he been standing in front of that guy. He done it knowing it was an act of disrespect, not because he wanted to spit in his face or kids face. He knew it was a shot to nothing.

Simply not possible to cover half the distance to the other car let alone hit anyone in it. It was purely an act of disrespect. Do I think he'd walk up to a kid and spit in her face, no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,572 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I know people are giving out about this thread being opened an all, but where are we supposed to discuss it? It’s not relevant to the superthreads, if you go by allegiance it would probably need to be discussed in the Liverpool thread, but would ye be happy with that?

Maybe close this up and use the General PL thread? But that’s more for matches and the like.. it’s a breaking news story with one of the main sports presenters at the centre of it. Of course it’s going to be discussed at length and imo it’s better keeping it allyo one thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Some of the responses in this thread are pathetic and embarrassing tbh.

Far too much "It was wrong but..."

Just omit the last word and leave it at that.

astradave wrote: »
    I know people are giving out about this thread being opened an all, but where are we supposed todiscuss it? It’s not relevant to the superthreads, if you go by allegiance it would probably need to be discussed in the Liverpool thread, but would ye be happy with that?

Maybe close this up and use the General PL thread? But that’s more for matches and the like.. it’s a breaking news story with one of the main sports presenters at the centre of it. Of course it’s going to be discussed at length and imo it’s better keeping it allyo one thread.

I agree, absolutely it should be discussed in here, it’s just that some people are using it as an opportunity to take shots at another team rather than simply condemn Jamie Carragher. Not many Liverpool fans had too much respect for him as a person before this, there isn’t (or shouldn’t) be anyone defending what he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I also think it’s a scummy thing to do.
    Inciting road rage is also scummy.
    Your faux outrage (in one direction) just to take a shot, also scummy in my book.

I think we can all agree that by far and away the scummiest behaviour in the entire incident was the guy who spat in the childs face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,207 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

martyos121 wrote: »
    I agree, absolutely it should be discussed in here, it’s just that some people are using it as an opportunity to take shots at another team rather than simply condemn Jamie Carragher. Not many Liverpool fans had too much respect for him as a person before this, there isn’t (or shouldn’t) be anyone defending what he did.

Which people are using it as an opportunity to take shots at Liverpool?

What Carragher did was idiotic and scummy. He is not a Liverpool player, he is not a Liverpool coach (that I am aware of) He is an ex pro, analyst for Sky. Sky being Sky they will probably ditch him or at least give him a nice long summer holiday for this.

The only people posting idiotic ****e are the likes of munster who is attempting to turn this into a witch hunt/faux outrage piece of **** fantasy with an us v them mentality. It doesn't matter one bit which team you support, everybody is able to critically look at that video and say Carragher was wrong for what he did.

Rather then deflect or try to mitigate it, wouldn't it be much simpler to take it as read that the father is an idiot, the daughter is unfortunately caught up in the video because of her asshole father and unanimously agree that Jamie Carragher, not Liverpool football club was incredibly stupid and disgusting?

Some people have been making a show of themselves alright, but I would be interested to see who has been using it to take a pop at a club rather then an individual.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Everybody in that video is doing something wrong (besides the girl). Carragher should be done for assault, and the dad banned from driving.

Which people are using it as an opportunity to take shots at Liverpool?

Your question answered:
    Waterproof t shirts being printed on Merseyside as we speak.
    He's a toffee now. They've disowned him. ;)
    Some Liverpool fans making a show of themselves here. Can’t say I’m surprised given what I’ve read on this forum over the years.
    I blame Suarez and his introducing Merseyside to different cultures, greetings and terms of endearment. Maybe in some cultures spitting on kids is a greeting.
    Remember El Hadji Diouf spitting at Celtic fans when playing for Liverpool. Just a little something for those who like dragging up the past.;)

I apologise for miswording it though, turns out it’s mainly the one poster at it. Even funnier when he’s chosen his username in tribute to a player who has history abusing fans. The irony is lost on him I imagine.

So there’s the evidence you were after. I can predict how things will go from here in relation to my post, so I’m waiting to see that materialise, be back in the morning for a look. It’ll involve the word “obsessed” and a lot of thanking.

As for the rest of your post, I agree with a couple of paragraphs. The one immediately following your question and the penultimate one. What he did was scummy, Sky should rightly let him go and nobody should deflect the attention from that (I’m merely raising a point in addition to it). An incident like this brings out the worst in a lot of people, from all sets of fans to be clear, and it came at a really bad time for the soccer forum with the match on Saturday. The bitterness between the two clubs involved in that match seems to have peaked with this and hopefully it can only improve from this point forward.

Just a disclaimer, I’m not saying I’m not involved or completely innocent in any of that, just that I hope it deflates soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Very dissapointed in Carragher. Spitting at some is very low, and with a young girl in the car? He should have thicker skin then to get so riled up by some idiotic fan. Won't be surprised if he's cost himself his job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Some of the responses in this thread are pathetic and embarrassing tbh.

Far too much "It was wrong but..."

Just omit the last word and leave it at that.

Everything should be taken in context. Is it fair that because Carragher is famous someone can act the b****x, drive dangerously, incite a reaction, tape it, edit it whatever way they like, publish it, purposely try to destroy a person and then we can only discuss what the famous person did wrong?

Yeah I know Carragher was an idiot and the red mist descended. I don’t know how I would react, although I know I wouldn’t spit because it’s not my habit to even spit on the ground so if I tried to spit at someone I’m sure it’d end up on my jumper. I’d probably get the licence plate and decide what to do after, probably report it to the police.

But even as bad as spitting is, the other guy is far lower in my estimation, not because of the goading exactly, but because he’s an instigator and a rat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I hope he doesn't lose his job over this, yes it was scummy but people get overly sensitive these days. He was goaded for God knows how long and he over-reacted and has since apologized. There is no story here.

And I think the 14 year old will be ok. She is already acting 2 years older than her father and can go for a tetanus shot if she's afraid she might catch something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Hopefully he gets what he deserves out of it. Away from the Sky studios where I’m sure he’s kept well in check it doesn’t take long for the true ‘Carra’ to show his face.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Your question answered:

I apologise for miswording it though, turns out it’s mainly the one poster at it. Even funnier when he’s chosen his username in tribute to a player who has history abusing fans. The irony is lost on him I imagine.

So there’s the evidence you were after. I can predict how things will go from here in relation to my post, so I’m waiting to see that materialise, be back in the morning for a look. It’ll involve the word “obsessed” and a lot of thanking.

As for the rest of your post, I agree with a couple of paragraphs. The one immediately following your question and the penultimate one. What he did was scummy, Sky should rightly let him go and nobody should deflect the attention from that (I’m merely raising a point in addition to it). An incident like this brings out the worst in a lot of people, from all sets of fans to be clear, and it came at a really bad time for the soccer forum with the match on Saturday. The bitterness between the two clubs involved in that match seems to have peaked with this and hopefully it can only improve from this point forward.

Just a disclaimer, I’m not saying I’m not involved or completely innocent in any of that, just that I hope it deflates soon.

Is there an element of schadenfreude because of who it is? Yes, and I simply don’t care. It’s still a scummy act, it genuinely disgusted me and I’m entitled to voice my opinion.

The “It’s disgusting but...” brigade or the “Whabou Cantona” crew would want to take a look in the mirror before having a go at anyone else. It’s just disgusting... no buts... no whataboutery.

• Advertisement
Advertisement