Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

xtal191 wrote: »
    I doubt Dana/WME-IMG give a toss about how much people are paying to go over. It's looking like its gonna be a very poor card though especially if the rumored co main is Lewis vs Volkov. Unfortunately the people looking to go over cant exactly wait for the whole card to be announced.

Lewis fighting again with the perennial back injury :rolleyes:

Question - is it the NASC that states championship weight must be made for belt to be in contention? Wondering what would happen to fight if Khabib missed. Getting comfortable with my tinfoil hat on here...

There's no way McG would decline fight if Khabib missed weight - belt or no belt. And yes it'd hit Khabib in the pocket somewhat, but missing weight by a couple of pounds would equate to a serious advantage come fight night, one that would play to his strong-suit...

Ok, hat off...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Question - is it the NASC that states championship weight must be made for belt to be in contention? Wondering what would happen to fight if Khabib missed. Getting comfortable with my tinfoil hat on here...

There's no way McG would decline fight if Khabib missed weight - belt or no belt. And yes it'd hit Khabib in the pocket somewhat, but missing weight by a couple of pounds would equate to a serious advantage come fight night, one that would play to his strong-suit...

Ok, hat off...

Don't know the answer to the question but don't think it matters to be honest. Belts mean little these days. The fight is officially for the title but really it's about the two best lightweights in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Ok, hat off...

If Khabib misses weight the belt is still on the line but he will be hit in the pocket. If McGregor misses weight then no belt on the line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

So felice herrig v karate momma on same card as conor

Only a few days ago felice was slating ufc for not punishing conor , i think he should insist she is not on the card

He probably couldn't pick her out of a lineup, let alone care what she thinks of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

, i think he should insist she is not on the card

It's not his card the UFC decides whose on it not any fighter

Nate and Dustin are surely potential stand-ins. I know their fights are several weeks later but Nate has been begging to fight Conor and Dustin is not far from a title shot. I think if Conor or (more likely) Khabib pull out, UFC has these guys pegged to step in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,601 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Question - is it the NASC that states championship weight must be made for belt to be in contention?

Technically they do state that. But it's an hollow stipulation. The NSAC don't sanction the title. In the same way that WBO/WBA etc actually dictate the ins and out of boxing titles.
    If Khabib misses weight, the NSAC fines him, and the UFC still puts his title on the line. Conor misses weight, and it's not a title fight.
    Don't know the answer to the question but don't think it matters to be honest. Belts mean little these days. The fight is officially for the title but really it's about the two best lightweights in the world.

That's true in a sense. Titles have been diminished shed in recent years. The real story is Conor v Khabib. But in saying that, the title isn't meaningless. If Conor misses weight, but knocks him out. It takes a bit of a shine off the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Conor def has a say

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Ha. I guarantee if Conor did or didn't want someone on the card, Dana will make it happen.

Mellor wrote: »
    That's true in a sense. Titles have been diminished shed in recent years. The real story is Conor v Khabib. But in saying that, the title isn't meaningless. If Conor misses weight, but knocks him out. It takes a bit of a shine off the moment.

Yeah but to me that would be purely down to the missing weight aspect (assuming Khabib made weight of course) rather than the title not being on the line as a result of said missing weight, if you know what I mean.

McGregor is the lineal champ but took two years off with no indication of what his plans were. Khabib can reasonably be considered the best in the interim , perhaps along with Ferguson, so I don't hate his belt as much as some other interim ones. Whoever wins is, in my book, the best and the champ regardless of whether Dana walks up and pins a belt to them afterwards.

Yeah but to me that would be purely down to the missing weight aspect (assuming Khabib made weight of course) rather than the title not being on the line as a result of said missing weight, if you know what I mean.

McGregor is the lineal champ but took two years off with no indication of what his plans were. Khabib can reasonably be considered the best in the interim , perhaps along with Ferguson, so I don't hate his belt as much as some other interim ones. Whoever wins is, in my book, the best and the champ regardless of whether Dana walks up and pins a belt to them afterwards.

I suppose I was playing devil's advocate and posing the question 'is missing weight potentially advantageous versus the penalties/ inquisition it incurs?'

Disadvanatges
    - financial
    - perceived illegitimacy
    - Non-title

Advanatges
    - statistical win outcome
    - likely remain in title contention nevertheless (if win)
    - Can negate any immediate financial penalties eventually through points 1 and 2

All that said, I'm sure Khabib feels he doesn't need any extra lb's to get McG down

No one is going to aim to miss weight

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Was hoping Gunni might get added to the card. Wont he be back by then?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

Ha. I guarantee if Conor did or didn't want someone on the card, Dana will make it happen.

He got 3-1 Charlie Ward 2 UFC fights ffs.

While Conor isn't Mayweather levels of control of the card, the undercard budget is determined by him. For the revenues this is gonna bring, you'd want at least fighters you're interested in.

Israel Adesanya*, Costa* and O'Malley should be on here (similar to how they had cody on a Conor card) to raise their profile

* Know they're booked a month later. But superstar potential type fighters

• Advertisement

No one is going to aim to miss weight

Pretty sure Scott Quigg and Danny Jacobs have done this tactically in boxing. Not beyond the realms of possibility.

It's more not sapping energy than any weight advantage in the cage with MMA though.

And yeah Gunni in a decent fight would be a good idea. He's been so inactive

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭DK224

Ticket prices for 229 have just been reported. Tickets priced at $200, $250, $300, $350, $400, $550, $750, $1000, $1500, $2000 and $2500

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Pretty sure Scott Quigg and Danny Jacobs have done this tactically in boxing. Not beyond the realms of possibility.

It's more not sapping energy than any weight advantage in the cage with MMA though.

And yeah Gunni in a decent fight would be a good idea. He's been so inactive

Is gunni even linked to sbg anymore? I know he mainly only went there when preparing for a fight but you'd usually see the other sbg lads travel to Iceland etc, haven't seen any of that in a long time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I see Lina Lansberg is fighting. I’ll tune in so :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Very interesting. A Dutch McGregor clothes brand has won a court case against Adidas where Reebok McGregor clothes have to be removed from shelves across Europe. The Dutch brand who have McGregor TM on clothes worry that people will think the Reebok McGregor gear will be mistaken for theirs.

Dutch McGregor, who da **** is dat guy.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mcgregor-loses-his-shirt-in-bout-with-mcgregor-861525.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Very interesting. A Dutch McGregor clothes brand has won a court case against Adidas where Reebok McGregor clothes have to be removed from shelves across Europe. The Dutch brand who have McGregor TM on clothes worry that people will think the Reebok McGregor gear will be mistaken for theirs.

Dutch McGregor, who da **** is dat guy.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mcgregor-loses-his-shirt-in-bout-with-mcgregor-861525.html

I wouldn't have thought you could trademark a name or surname in that way, but there you go.

He can always make "Notorious" clothes in the meantime, which I would have thought would be more popular anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Paully D wrote: »

If you look at his twitter he is still like a lunatic arguing with people about it. He's an embarrassing man. Like a psychotic ex girlfriend

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Paulie argues with people full stop, he was very outspoken about everything when he fought.

He's actually a pretty good boxing analyst

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Sean O'Malley Vs. Alejandro Pérez @ 229.

https://twitter.com/SugaSeanMMA/status/1028769766159183872

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

what irish time wed are tickets on sale ?

it says 10 am pt online ? 3pm irish?

sc86 wrote: »
    what irish time wed are tickets on sale ?

it says 10 am pt online ? 3pm irish?

Pacific time is 8 hours behind Ireland.

thanks mate!

5pm it is

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

sc86 wrote: »
    thanks mate!

5pm it is

Wouldn't it be 6pm Irish time?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Yup its 6pm Irish time - not 5

• Advertisement

5pm it is so

just testing you ha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

No presser planned before tickets go on sale?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Anyone with a spare fight club pass happy to sort out a tshirt or fight programme in return.

dave1982 wrote: »
    No presser planned before tickets go on sale?

Wonder if media plans are determined by the way ticket sales pan out.

McGregors last two vegas fights didn't sell out, however both Diaz 2 and imparticular Mayweather had high ticket prices.

Would like at least one presser before fight week presser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Can't wait to see this fight,
    I don't think we know how good Khabib is and no idea what Conor being working on in the last 2 years if anything,
    Strangely Khabib take down accuracy is on;y 45 % is that enough to win against Conor ?
    He won't want to try over and over again with Conor's power,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Wonder if media plans are determined by the way ticket sales pan out.

McGregors last two vegas fights didn't sell out, however both Diaz 2 and imparticular Mayweather had high ticket prices.

Would like at least one presser before fight week presser
    I thought they used always do presser before release of ticket sales...maybe they confident they dont need one until fight week

dave1982 wrote: »
    I thought they used always do presser before release of ticket sales...maybe they confident they dont need one until fight week
    Conor is known to have pushed for less transatlantic interruptions to his fight camp. It's a big chunk out of your time to fly over and back.

Presser will be required for ppv sales and finish off venue sales for the higher price tickets. Hopefully quiet this week until we get sorted

• Advertisement

Conor is known to have pushed for less transatlantic interruptions to his fight camp. It's a big chunk out of your time to fly over and back.

They will be going to vegas soon according to interview with roddy last week. He will do some then

Putting my matchmaker hat on, I'd love to see Aldo go upto 155 to fight pettis on this card. His last weight cut for the Stephens fight was apparently horrific and he's got alot of miles on the clock, it's time to move up. Finish out the card with Lee vs Iaquinta and all of a sudden its a banger of an event. A boy can dream eh

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It's the same every time he fights, apart from the first Diaz fight ironically enough.

It's the same every time he fights, apart from the first Diaz fight ironically enough.

It's a who's who really in as far as the usual mma mouthpieces.

Interestingly, the narrative is exactly the same - Conor overwhelmed in clinch/ out-wrestled/ has puncher's chance/ has poor cardio/ at size disadvantage etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

I do wonder, if he beats Khabib, what else can people say. Probably that Khabib record is padded and he would never beat Tony.

• Advertisement

I do wonder, if he beats Khabib, what else can people say. Probably that Khabib record is padded and he would never beat Tony.

Exactly that. He's beaten RDA before he was RDA and Barboza whos never beaten a top 5 fighter. He won the belt off Ragin Al ffs. He fought emotional against Conor, the weight cut etc.

Conor starches Khabib and he's in the GOAT conversation IMO. He's fringes now.

Khabibs take downs aren't high percentage but when he gets them you stay down. Its just does Conor land when he comes in and does what lands effect Khabib like it did Eddie.

Haven't seen BT sport annouce this as a UK PPV - but GGG Canelo will be just before as BTs first forage into the market. As well as 2 other PPVs in September.

Gotta think Conor would sell better as a PPV if they're gonna do one, not that i wanna give them ideas. Even with the BT sport UFC deal coming to a close it makes them all money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,601 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If he beats Khabib, after beating Chad and Eddie, the wrestling thing is put to bed.
    But it would quickly become;
    ...jiu jitsu is his achilles heel. He beat Aldo and Brandao, two black belts but both chose to strike. The first time he went against a black belt, who used jiu jitsu, he got choked. All his losses are submissions...
    This leads right into the Tony beats him narrative.

Ticket day, if anyone has a presale code they willing to share happy to buy programme or tshirt etc as a thank you. Otherwise I'll buy one as part of the presale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

If he wins, people will talk up the next guy he hasn't beaten and so on and so on. And then, into his thirties, when he eventually loses to one of these guys it's "proof" that he was always overrated.

If he loses, then it's "proof" that he was always overrated.

I don't really doubt Khabib as his toughest challenge to date and I think you have to wonder about the effect of the last two years. All that money and fame and unnecessary distraction. I seriously doubt he's been training to the level of intensity the past two years that he was the previous two years. But the last thing I'd be doing is underestimating him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

I think it very well could go like the Alvarez fight. Khabib might be very surprised with the power and accuracy McGregor has.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement