Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Booms

Doesn't any picture containing a blue whale now have to have an Alan Davies as well, for scale?

PS: Absolutely brilliant thread. Many thanks to OP for starting it!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Even being wrong is fun here!

So to summarise the last page -

The new sarcophagus put on Chernobyl is 36000 tonnes, not 32000 as I said.

The International Space Station is 420 tonnes. So the Chernobyl sarcophagus is almost 100 times heavier - and of course they both have to shield from radiation.

That is one hell of a ship, and I'm glad to have been wrong to have learned about it!

I believe radiation sinks 1cm/year in Chernobyl, not 6cm/year as earlier stated - so it's now about a foot underground (a bit less as it would have to sink to the ground first). Safe for us - but means farming and construction are completely out of the question of course.

But - this is Radar Duga-1 -

1.jpg

It's one part of the USSR's old early warning system. This array was intended to detect signs that the US had fired a nuke at Moscow, who would then have maybe 30 minutes to return fire before being obliterated. This is just the receiver; there were two others elsewhere in Ukraine; a transmitter and a triangulator.

It's massive; about 500 yards long and 500 feet high.

It's about two miles from Chernobyl (which I think is in the background of the photo)

Like everything in the exclusion zone - the power plant and inhabited dwellings aside - it's not really being maintained, and is just rusting away.

If it falls, the crater it creates will be much more than 12 inches deep, and all the old buried radiation will be brought to the surface again...

The only reason it still exists is because, unlike the transmitter and triangulator, the receiver can't be blown up because of the same radiation issue.

(To conclude my bits on Chernobyl, it is very much worth a visit. You can even do multi-day tours, staying overnight in the Chernobyl town hotel)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

cdeb wrote: »
    I believe radiation sinks 1cm/year in Chernobyl, not 6cm/year as earlier stated - so it's now about a foot underground (a bit less as it would have to sink to the ground first). Safe for us - but means farming and construction are completely out of the question of course.

Radioactive rain would bring it to the ground pretty quickly, though, bringing with it whatever radioactive dust is floating in the air. Now, that ^^^ would also mean that radioactive material would keep being brought to the ground over a number of years, and taking into account that dust keeps getting lifted and scattered around, I'm wondering if we'll ever be free from it/ whether it'll ever get down to normal leve again (i.e., I'd love to get my hands on a Geiger counter).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

That's reassuring at least!

FWIW, geiger counter levels about 200 yards from the sarcophagus were 0.8 micro sieverts/hour.

Background radiation outside the zone was 0.12 by comparison.

Hotspots in the ground could easily go up to 10-15 micro sieverts/hour.

Of course, that's only what tourists are allowed access to. The Red Forest is off limits due to contamination. And that's before you go digging naturally

Those who died in Chernobyl got - very roughly - 6 sieverts of radiation. That's a lifetime's worth at a hot-spot I think

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

FWIW, geiger counter levels about 200 yards from the sarcophagus were 0.8 micro sieverts/hour.

Of course, that's only what tourists are allowed access to. The Red Forest is off limits due to contamination. And that's before you go digging naturally

Those who died in Chernobyl got - very roughly - 6 sieverts of radiation. That's a lifetime's worth at a hot-spot I think

Did you develop any superpowers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The nautical references above reminded me of a topic I found very interesting when on holiday in Stockholm last year.

We are familiar in today’s wold of tales of officials seeking grandeur and symbols of power and also of cases where, when something goes wrong, the finger is pointed in a direction where it might not be fair to those in that direction. This was evident in the story of the Titanic which was part of a trio of ships aimed to showcase the prowess of the White Star shipping company which ultimately sank with blame being apportioned to various parties. This might be the most famous case of a ship sinking on its maiden voyage but is not the only time it happened to a ship designed with such pomp and purpose.

In 1625, the Swedish king, Gustav II ordered the Dutch shipwright Henrik Hybertsson to build 4 new ships, one of which the Vasa was expected to be one of the most powerful warships in the world. Hybertsson designed the ship but due to illness (which resulted in his death before the ship was constructed) he was unable to supervise the construction of the ship. When completed, the ship is 69 meters long, 50 metres tall, and when fully outfitted with guns, ballast and sculptures weighed 1200 tonnes.

There were warning signs that something was amiss with the captain supervising the construction noticing that the ship was liable to roll excessively while it was still being built. The King put pressure on to proceed as he wanted his ship and some months later it set out on its maiden voyage.

Having travelled just 1300 Metres (less than 19 times the length of the ship :eek:) a gust of wind caused the ship to heel to its port side and the gun ports which were all open to showcase its armaments allowed water to rush in. The ship sank to the bottom of the harbour with thousands of Stockholm residents, ambassadors and dignitaries watching on. Thankfully the death toll was limited as many were able to swim to the shore although between 30 and 50 still lost their lives.

An inquest is launched. The King is said to have had signed off on all measurements which the ship was built to but understandably he was not found responsible. Blame ultimately landed on the shoulders of Hybertsson who was unable to defend himself (understandably due to him being dead :)).

However, the misfortune of that time resulted in future generations being able to observe the design and skills of those involved in the shipping industry in a way which is rarely possible. The ship was raised in 1961 which led to massive operation to preserve it including the use of polyethylene glycol, PEG, to replace the water in the wood.

In 1990, the ship is moved to its new and current, home of the Vasa Museum. This museum, is a wonderful example of the entire purpose of a building aimed to allow visitors to fully appreciate and educate themselves on its centre piece of attraction. Speaking from personal experience, when you walk in to the centre of the museum to see the prow of Vasa towering over you is jaw dropping. All available wooden sculptors have been returned to their original position, although they have not been painted in the manner in which they originally would have been done. All elements associated with the ship are showcased throughout the museums from the shipyard, the personnel who would have been working on the ship, representation of the bowels of the ship showing how tight for space and busy it would have been. Different floors of the museum built up around the ship allow visitors to observe it from virtually every angle and a scaled model of how the ship looked on the day it launched is shows just how complete the salvage operation of the ship was.

If the ship had survived to function as it was intended in 1628, we would not have such a stunning example of a practice which no longer exists.

Vasa in position in museum
    24229632684_99b616767f_b.jpg

NUda233.jpg

Scaled model with Vasa in background
    a-scale-model-of-the.jpg

Life in a Vasa type ship
    maqueta-de-la-vida-en.jpg

To anybody spending some time in Stockholm, I would strongly recommend paying a visit.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

If anyone wants to see it, this is the path the radioactive plume took according to the French. It starts at about 2 mins.

https://irsn.libcast.com/irsn-fr-en/the-chernobyl-plume/player

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Greybottle wrote: »
    There was a former professional footballer called Fitz Hall, he played for Crystal Palace, QPR and Newcastle Utd amongst others.

His nickname was 'One Size'.

As in "One Size Fitz Hall", or "One size fits all". :pac:

(That's my best fact about the name Fitz.)

:D

I remember him at Palace when Ian Dowie had them in the Premiership.

Think he was capped for one of the Caribbean nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,030 ✭✭✭✭Esel

New Home wrote: »
    If anyone wants to see it, this is the path the radioactive plume took according to the French. It starts at about 2 mins.

https://irsn.libcast.com/irsn-fr-en/the-chernobyl-plume/player

Looks like we were relatively lucky here?

Not your ornery onager

Well, yes, in a way, but I have no idea what happened to the cloud afterwards. Also, Fukushima had a much bigger cloud, and that went eeeeverywhere - I'll see if I can find something about that, too.

Does Homebase sell Geiger counters? I still want one...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Esel wrote: »
    Looks like we were relatively lucky here?
    I thought it as interesting when they said that concentrations were high in places but the sourcing of food from different geographical areas reduced the risk from a smaller proportions of contaminated foodstuffs in the diet because of the movement of foods into contaminated areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

On a physics related theme, bananas produce anti matter. I wonder if Ireland is in danger, seeing that we manufacture bananas.
    https://www.symmetrymagazine.org/article/april-2015/ten-things-you-might-not-know-about-antimatter

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

An inquest is launched. The King is said to have had signed off on all measurements which the ship was built to but understandably he was not found responsible. Blame ultimately landed on the shoulders of Hybertsson who was unable to defend himself (understandably due to him being dead :)).

About the measurements
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasa_(ship)
    The use of different measuring systems on either side of the vessel caused its mass to be distributed asymmetrically, heavier to port. During construction both Swedish feet and Amsterdam feet were in use by different teams. Archaeologists have found four rulers used by the workmen who built the ship. Two were calibrated in Swedish feet, which had 12 inches, while the other two measured Amsterdam feet, which had 11 inches.

It's one of the reasons why most of the world now uses metric. The Americans still have this sort of problem.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Methemoglobinemia is a rare disease that causes your skin to turn blue. The most famous sufferers of this condition were the Blue People of Kentucky or more commonly known as the "Blue Fugates."

Although born in France, Martin Fugate (orphaned as a child) settled in Hazard, Kentucky roughly around 1820. At this point in time there was quite a lot of intermarrying of blood relations in the immediate area. Both he and his wife Elizabeth Smith were carriers of methemoglobinemia. As the gene causing blue discolouration was recessive, there was a 25% chance with each pregnancy that the baby would be blue. Due to the isolated rural setting, Fugate descendants married other Fugate descendants and this concentrated the blue gene over decades. As a direct result of this, quite a lot of the Fugates descendants were born with methemoglobinemia.

Moving into the 20th century, descendants of the Fugates continued to live in the areas around Troublesome Creek and Ball Creek in Kentucky until their condition attracted the attention of Madison Cawein, a hematologist who made a detailed study of their condition and ancestry. Cawein treated the family with methylene blue to rid them of their blue skin. When injected at the correct dosage, methylene blue causes a reduces the heme group from methemoglobin to hemoglobin and it reduces the half life of methemoglobin from hours to minutes. The skin then starts to revert to its original colour. Interesting to note, when too much is injected, it reverses this process meaning a patient would turn blue (or bluer in the case of the Fugates descendants).

The last known descendant of the Fugates born with blue skin was called Benjamin Stacy in 1975, however as he aged he lost his blue skin tone.

There are theories that other suffers of methemoglobinemia may have been ancestors of the Fugates, however this has not been proven.

Below is a picture of Luna Fugate, the great-grandmother of Benjamin Stacy.

2-7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Ra-di-o-ac-tiv-i-ty
    Is in the air, for you and me.

I always thought the kraftwerk song was in response to Chernobyl, in fact it was released in 1975.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Ian drury from the blockheads was one of the first people to write an anti-charity song. Spasticus Autiscus. Written in defiance of the ‘national year for the disabled’ in 1981. Drury, who had polio himself was annoyed at repeated attempts to be a disabled drafted in as the face of the disabled.

Song was remixed and performed live at the opening ceremony of the 2012 paralympics.

It is a cracking tune though.
    https://g.co/kgs/qet91R

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

About the measurements
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasa_(ship)

It's one of the reasons why most of the world now uses metric. The Americans still have this sort of problem.

Here's another example of measurements going wrong, and yes, those wily Amsterdamers are involved again.

From earlier in the thread...

Red Kev wrote: »
    The Hochrheinbrucke is a 225m bridge linking Germany and Switzerland across the Rhine river in Laufenburg. It was built between 2002 and 2004. The construction was started from both sides simultaneously and was made slightly more complex as the Germans take their sea level point as that in Amsterdam (Amsterdam Ordnance Datum), but the Swiss use a point in Lake Geneva, which is based on the sea level in Marseille.

There is a 27cm difference between the two of them, this was known and taken into account. But instead of subtracting 27cm, a person in the office accidentally added 27cm at the start of the design phase, so half way through the construction of the bridge they noticed that the bridge was going to be 54cm higher one one side than the other.

It was corrected in time and the insurance for the engineering company paid for the extra costs. The total cost of the bridge was €6,000,000, how much the mistake cost was never publicised.

To make things more complex, Austria uses a sea level based on the Adriatic. The problem has hopefully been solved for the future using this system here: https://evrs.bkg.bund.de/Subsites/EVRS/EN/Home/home.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

joeguevara wrote: »
    Ian drury from the blockheads was one of the first people to write an anti-charity song. Spasticus Autiscus. Written in defiance of the ‘national year for the disabled’ in 1981. Drury, who had polio himself was annoyed at repeated attempts to be a disabled drafted in as the face of the disabled.

Song was remixed and performed live at the opening ceremony of the 2012 paralympics.

It is a cracking tune though.
    https://g.co/kgs/qet91R

Interesting, I was just listening to (the much maligned) Dara Ó Briain on the radio earlier and he was voicing his disquiet at condescending, 'cute' pictures with disabled that some well meaning people post. He thought that demanding dignity and equality in a real and practical way might be much more useful. I'm inclined to agree with him because I think the gift of respect elevates both the giver and the receiver.

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    Interesting, I was just listening to (the much maligned) Dara Ó Briain on the radio earlier and he was voicing his disquiet at condescending, 'cute' pictures with disabled that some well meaning people post. He thought that demanding dignity and equality in a real and practical way might be much more useful. I'm inclined to agree with him because I think the gift of respect elevates both the giver and the receiver.

He felt the establishment were condescending and attempts at trying to do the right things actually made disabled people more marginalized. Having a year for the disabled in his mind was absurd. And trying to get him to be the face of it was bizarre to him seeing as he would be someone that they normally abhor.

More interestingly tv and radio refused to play the song and it was withdrawn as they said it was in bad taste. They couldn’t see the whole point of the song and demonstrates how people get things wrong. You see the same today when awareness is usually pictured with soft or cute visuals but people are disgusted when real things appear.

Here is a great interview where Ian Drury explains.

https://youtu.be/LSo9OErEmM4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

He felt the establishment were condescending and attempts at trying to do the right things actually made disabled people more marginalized. Having a year for the disabled in his mind was absurd. And trying to get him to be the face of it was bizarre to him seeing as he would be someone that they normally abhor.

More interestingly tv and radio refused to play the song and it was withdrawn as they said it was in bad taste. They couldn’t see the whole point of the song and demonstrates how people get things wrong. You see the same today when awareness is usually pictured with soft or cute visuals but people are disgusted when real things appear.

Here is a great interview where Ian Drury explains.

https://youtu.be/LSo9OErEmM4

I strongly agree with his views.

But I think it's a bloody awful song - musically :D

• Advertisement

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    I strongly agree with his views.

But I think it's a bloody awful song - musically :D

There is something catchy about it and the bass is funky. As someone who suffers from epilepsy I love the expression on people’s faces when I break out singing this at parties.

But, it is no bohemian rhapsody!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Gotta agree with Are Am Eye, its a poor song.

But each to their own. Its only my opinion.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Gotta agree with Are Am Eye, its a poor song.

But each to their own. Its only my opinion.

I think if he had written a heartfelt and poignant song it wouldn’t have had the message he was trying to portray. Like fairytale in New York is considered a great Christmas song instead of being about a hero in addict alcoholic wife beater. The fact it has a great melody disguised the fact it’s an anti Christmas song.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

There was no escape here either.

The sudden spike in the amount of one kind of radioactive material over Ireland is visible here.

original?width=469&version=2730510

The level of caesium found in lamb across Ireland between May and June 1986, measured in Bqkg(-1).

original?width=360&version=2732416

http://www.thejournal.ie/chernobyl-disaster-effects-ireland-2727840-Apr2016/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Why was Monaghan so low compared to surrounding areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Might be a combination of topography and the way the wind was blowing on the day, or a machine that wasn't calibrated correctly. I'm going for the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭thesandeman

I can't link on mobile, but as a butter junkie I find this article interesting:

I like using snopes to fact check a lot of the posts on Facebook. Most are discredited for example entering PIN numbers backwards will alert police etc.

But this one I hoped was true. I saw a post about coloring rhino horns pink to make them useless to poaches.

It turned out to be half true. Pic on Facebook was digitally altered but they are dying horns and injecting something into the horns which is poisonous to humans. Hopefully it will decrease poaching. However they may not care what they sell is poisonous.

Very sad to see the last male white rhino died at weekend. Two females left. Hopefully frozen sperm may produce a baby.

Also, a crime gang from limerick tried to steal rhino horn from natural history museum in Dublin. It is now locked up. The horn ( which actually is keratin not ivory) is locked in a secure warehouse.

On a similar note, because of the crackdown on the ivory trade, a new industry has popped up in Russia, mining for extinct walrus that have been dead for thousands of years and buried under sheets of ice. Each horn is worth 30k and the average monthly wage of the miners in their usual jobs is 500 euro per month. They drink to excess to blank out boredom, cold and depression and is usual that mass brawls break out amongst the miners. Absolutely nuts, but at least not killing animals that alive. Most trade of all ivory and horns goes to China where it is ground down and used as an aphrodisiac. No evidence suggests it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I like using snopes to fact check a lot of the posts on Facebook. Most are discredited for example entering PIN numbers backwards will alert police etc.

But this one I hoped was true. I saw a post about coloring rhino horns pink to make them useless to poaches.

It turned out to be half true. Pic on Facebook was digitally altered but they are dying horns and injecting something into the horns which is poisonous to humans. Hopefully it will decrease poaching. However they may not care what they sell is poisonous.

Very sad to see the last male white rhino died at weekend. Two females left. Hopefully frozen sperm may produce a baby.

Also, a crime gang from limerick tried to steal rhino horn from natural history museum in Dublin. It is now locked up. The horn ( which actually is keratin not ivory) is locked in a secure warehouse.

On a similar note, because of the crackdown on the ivory trade, a new industry has popped up in Russia, mining for extinct walrus that have been dead for thousands of years and buried under sheets of ice. Each horn is worth 30k and the average monthly wage of the miners in their usual jobs is 500 euro per month. They drink to excess to blank out boredom, cold and depression and is usual that mass brawls break out amongst the miners. Absolutely nuts, but at least not killing animals that alive. Most trade of all ivory and horns goes to China where it is ground down and used as an aphrodisiac. No evidence suggests it works.

The rhino that died was the last Northern White Rhino not the last white rhino. The Northern white is a subspecies of the white rhino. White rhinos are not endangered. They are also not white.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

NIMAN wrote: »
    Why was Monaghan so low compared to surrounding areas?

Nothing likes going near Monaghan, not even radiation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement