Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2018/19

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Eod100 wrote: »
    I don't see how insults were ever going to sway him if he was having doubts. Surely it would only reinforce his decision?

Fair enough, he played underage all the way up but he was born in UK. Flipside of chasing UK-born players is them declaring for their country of birth. If players are insulted for doing that, don't think it will do much to convince the next UK born player to declare for Ireland.

Hopefully they don't and they aren't in our system from any age at all. We need to start developing our own some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

And the wide range of abusive comments he received from Irish fans when news first broke that he was having second thoughts...

That won't happen playing with England anyway :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

yabadabado wrote: »
    I'd expect him to get plenty,not a whole lot there ahead of him currently.I think he will have a decent England career but he could have been a 100 caps player for us.

Not a whole lot currently, but England’s underaged teams are flying recently. Mason Mount, Ben Foden etc are all coming through. Rice will get less than 30 caps for England.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

No. He didn't. Halfwits calling some young lad of 19 a c*nt, etc.. FFS

I never did. I didn't call him that. I said he was a mercenary and probably worse than Grealish in that regard. Who called him that?

I never said you did? Did you see the abusive comments he received on Twitter at the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Patww79 wrote: »
    And the wide range of abusive comments he received from Irish fans when news first broke that he was having second thoughts...

That he deserved.

How so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

I never said you did? Did you see the abusive comments he received on Twitter at the time?

Cant say i saw anyone calling him a cxxt.

How so?

Because he's not playing for us. I'm not one for that "look at how modern and progressive I am by loving England", I just give a **** about us and he shouldn't ever have played for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

yabadabado wrote: »
    I'd expect him to get plenty,not a whole lot there ahead of him currently.I think he will have a decent England career but he could have been a 100 caps player for us.

Not a whole lot currently, but England’s underaged teams are flying recently. Mason Mount, Ben Foden etc are all coming through. Rice will get less than 30 caps for England.

That’s an extremely big call. Pretty much impossible to make at this stage with any degree of accuracy so I wouldn’t be putting much store in it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Feels like a bitter loss, he was one player I thought could drag us into a tournament or two over the next 15 years or so. I don't give up hope just yet until I hear it from his mouth, twas only a report from a rag. I can hardly blame the lad though, country of birth and world Cup semi finalists v country with one decent player, that Welsh fans called a s**t northern Ireland, while their team minus all their decent players beat us. I hope the loi underage leagues will produce players to stop the reliance on English born players.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

No. He didn't. Halfwits calling some young lad of 19 a c*nt, etc.. FFS

Yerra, maybe he is.

I wouldn't use that word myself. But footballers are possibly in the wrong business if they are sensitive to abuse, from the sidelines or indeed online. They always have the option to stay off Twitter and Instagram, they can't dictate that everyone be nice on the www.

• Advertisement

Yerra, maybe he is.

I wouldn't use that word myself. But footballers are possibly in the wrong business if they are sensitive to abuse, from the sidelines or indeed online. They always have the option to stay off Twitter and Instagram, they can't dictate that everyone be nice on the www.

Exactly. Just wait until he is on twitter saying he always felt like an English boy and it was the hardest decision of his life ****e.

This is about money and a lucrative English contract and also the fact southgate and co were aggressive in their pursuit of him. We had our assistant boss RK calling one of our English born players a wanker lately.

That had to have a influence here also.

More damage done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

You are very angry Smelly Sock!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Rice is a defensive midfielder or CB who is already getting games at a high level.Mount and Foden(Phil I presume) both look like good prospects as well but neither are likely to be in direct competition for a place with Rice.

Rice could get no caps but what I'd expect from what Iv seen so far he is more than capable of winning plenty of caps for England if he chooses them.

You are very angry Smelly Sock!

I am TB. I am.

PHIL Foden and Mount play in very different positions to Rice and the evidence before us is that Rice is ahead of both in terms of development and quality at the moment in their respective positions. They are attacking midfielders, he is a DM, CB.

Noone can predict with accuracy how many caps he will earn but evidence suggests he has a very good future. Evidence on the pitch is clearly the only variable available to us to make such predictions. As well as lack of competition coming through in this position.

PHIL Foden and Mount play in very different positions to Rice and the evidence before us is that Rice is ahead of both in terms of development and quality at the moment in their respective positions. They are attacking midfielders, he is a DM, CB.

Noone can predict with accuracy how many caps he will earn but evidence suggests he has a very good future. Evidence on the pitch is clearly the only variable available to us to make such predictions. As well as lack of competition coming through in this position.

He'll be a main stay for them sooner rather than later lads. I mean Eric Dier is limited big time. Who else is there in that position? Henderson can probably do a job there. Its a massive loss for us. Never mind all of this "id rather a lad playing for his local pub team who is committed" and all of that ****e. This is a huge blow and i believe questions should be asked as to how this has happened. Money is a factor but i think MONs hands off approach and RK calling and English born player a wanker has something to do with it too. Am i right in saying rice was present when that happened?

This isnt like Grealish. Rice has played 3 times for our seniors.

A cluster fxxk from all in the FAI as far as I can see.

Or else................. just a wee conspiracy theory................. an English born player who grew up supporting the national team as a young lad just watched them almost reach a WC final and has been convinced he is capable of being a big part of the future in the English squad, a young English squad and knows he will have plenty more financial benefits of playing for England. And chances to progress far in tournaments..........actually even qualify for tournaments, something which is a formality for England.

The FAI has no control of any of those factors.

Or else................. just a wee conspiracy theory................. an English born player who grew up supporting the national team as a young lad just watched them almost reach a WC final and has been convinced he is capable of being a big part of the future in the English squad, a young English squad and knows he will have plenty more financial benefits of playing for England. And chances to progress far in tournaments..........actually even qualify for tournaments, something which is a formality for England.

Then he shouldn't have played three senior games for another country.

He played 3 senior internationals. He could have and should have been tied down by now.

• Advertisement

Paidie Oconnor on loan at blackpool scored against Arsenal.

He played 3 senior internationals. He could have and should have been tied down by now.

Against who?? Denmark? Wales? Serbia? The Georgia game where we barely secured a draw? The Moldova game where he wasn't in the squad (which was understandable at the time? )

Rice only emerged at the start of last season. Noone foreseen he would become such a good prospect and at the time I don't recall anyone fearing the prospect he might revert to England. I doubt he had any thoughts of it himself at the time,

Hindsight is brilliant, everyone is an expert when they use it.

Patww79 wrote: »

Then he shouldn't have played three senior games for another country.

Why not?, not against the rules.

The problem are the rules maybe but even then I’m not sure they are. If the rules were still the same as they were five years ago then Rice would be stuck playing for his second choice. This way the most important person (the player) has time to decide who he wants to play for.

The talking bread is correct. There’s nothing the FAI or O’Neill can do with this; call him and persuade him to play? Why would he listen? England is the right choice for a lad who was born in england, whose parents were born in england and who is good enough to play for england.

He exploited the system but so do the likes of Liam Lawerence or maybe Cyrus Christie who are english but had an irish lad or lady somewhere in the blood and took advantage of it to play for Ireland.

We are not competition to England for players born in england. There’s nothing the FAI could have done this year. O’Neill could have capped him last year and if you want to go down that road you’re welcome to it. I still say we should pick teams on merit, not on locking them to the jersey. Otherwise the rest of the squad will kick off at lads getting picked ahead of them who are only in the team because we don’t want to lose them.

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Why not?, not against the rules.

The problem are the rules maybe but even then I’m not sure they are. If the rules were still the same as they were five years ago then Rice would be stuck playing for his second choice. This way the most important person (the player) has time to decide who he wants to play for.

The talking bread is correct. There’s nothing the FAI or O’Neill can do with this; call him and persuade him to play? Why would he listen? England is the right choice for a lad who was born in england, whose parents were born in england and who is good enough to play for england.

He exploited the system but so do the likes of Liam Lawerence or maybe Cyrus Christie who are english but had an irish lad or lady somewhere in the blood and took advantage of it to play for Ireland.

We are not competition to England for players born in england. There’s nothing the FAI could have done this year. O’Neill could have capped him last year and if you want to go down that road you’re welcome to it. I still say we should pick teams on merit, not on locking them to the jersey. Otherwise the rest of the squad will kick off at lads getting picked ahead of them who are only in the team because we don’t want to lose them.

Yeah you're right, he can do it. But we don't have to like him for it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭pgj2015

rice is not exactly messi is he? so what if the irish team is $hit at the moment, we will improve at some stage.

its the Irish inferiority complex that has some people crying over his likely decision to choose england, like have some dignity and im not a martin o neil fan but he can not be blamed for this, rice will make up his own mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

He fecked off. It's his decision. I'm tired of the whingeing about this. Particularly since we were happy to take on board the likes of Duffy and Clark when they switched allegiance to us.

That's the way it goes. You win some, you lose some.

We don't need to go on some Irish purity drive where we only pick native-born lads, and we don't need to whore out caps to every promising youngster in a pathetic act of panic.

We just need to take it on the chin and move on.

• Advertisement

Once again MON and the FAI can do no wrong in the eyes of some. FFS why bother having a team at all if lads just want us to stay ****.

Once again MON and the FAI can do no wrong in the eyes of some. FFS why bother having a team at all if lads just want us to stay ****.

That’s it. You absolutely nailed it.

I don't see anyone here defending MON or FAI............ You are paranoid as fk and this post makes no sense with regard this particular line of conversation.

Just because people don;t agree with your sentiments doesn't mean people are defending FAI or MON. They are merely an outlier on why Rice decided to switch allegiance.

MON will be gone soon enough, do you honestly think a 19 year old Rice would have abandoned a 15/16 year future with Ireland just because he is the manager?? And, no. Rice not being capped during the last few games of WC qualifying is not a reason to bash MON with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,498 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Paidie Oconnor on loan at blackpool scored against Arsenal.

Cap him immediately, if not sooner. Wales would have arranged a game for tomorrow just to cap him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,497 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Happy to criticise MON and RK but not over Rice.

His decision.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

O’ Neill and Keane could not be trusted with a takeaway .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,821 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

blinding wrote: »
    O’ Neill and Keane could not be trusted with a takeaway .

Well they won't be getting one with Rice anyways.. :p

fullstop wrote: »
    Cap him immediately, if not sooner. Wales would have arranged a game for tomorrow just to cap him.

Bollix and you know it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,392 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Bollix and you know it.

Christ you are angry aren't you?

Can't even react to a joke properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Christ you are angry aren't you?

Can't even react to a joke properly.

When you hope that a 13/14 year old kid doesn't make it as a professional then you know you've got issues

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

They should of tied him down and capped him for 5 mins somewhere just like Grealish a mistake from O Neill-Learn the lessons and cap these plastic paddys for 5 mins before they change their minds

This is not MON fault. There is a hell of a lot of issues with MON but it's stupid and cheap to batter him with this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,498 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

This is not MON fault. There is a hell of a lot of issues with MON but it's stupid and cheap to batter him with this

He pulled out of the first squad that would have meant he was tied to us but sure it's someone else's fault :rolleyes:

He'd have done the exact same if they tried to cap him earlier.

fullstop wrote: »
    He pulled out of the first squad that would have meant he was tied to us but sure it's someone else's fault :rolleyes:

He'd have done the exact same if they tried to cap him earlier.

We really dont know that.

He wasn't pulled out. He didn't make the cut against the other experienced international 8 or 9 midfielders who had been with us for the last few years. Perfectly reasonabless that an 18 year old with a few (albeit impressive ) PL games under his belt going into the final few games of a tight campaign doesn't make the cut. Let alone be thrown in at the deep end.

Especially when there was no soundings that he may defect.

Show me the posts or reports at the time saying MON was playing with fire here.

Edit: I misread what you said Fullstop. I wrongfully assumed you meant he was pulled out of the qualifying squad last Autumn where people are now saying MON is to blame for not giving him his "lock him in" cameo, using the hindsight method.

I do think he would not have pulled out of the squad last Autumn as I don't believe he was considering defecting then. So it's a pity but MON had every right and can't be hounded for not including him in the final 23, never mind playing him in those crucial games.

A lot has happened in the interim to change his allegiance to the WC semi finalists. ..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Three players who had a history with Irish teams have turned us down publically under the “management” of MON and Keane, including one with 3 international caps.

Has even one turned us down previously?? And I’m talking about those who came up via underage system, not Mark Noble etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,821 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Three players who had a history with Irish teams have turned us down publically under the “management” of MON and Keane, including one with 3 international caps.

Has even one turned us down previously?? And I’m talking about those who came up via underage system, not Mark Noble etc.

Yeh nothing to see here though. All factors MON the FAI and RK could not have influenced. RK calling and English born player a wanker in front of Rice defo didnt influence his decision. Nope.

MON has always said he was giving the player plenty of space and time to make his mind up. Based on reports Southgate hasnt done the same and has been aggressive in his recruiting.

Martin pick up the phone and get an answer once and for all. Do your job.

MON has always said he was giving the player plenty of space and time to make his mind up. Based on reports Southgate hasnt done the same and has been aggressive in his recruiting.

Martin pick up the phone and get an answer once and for all. Do your job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Yeh nothing to see here though. All factors MON the FAI and RK could not have influenced. RK calling and English born player a wanker in front of Rice defo didnt influence his decision. Nope.
    Some people just cannot see the wood for the trees.

The problem isn't that Rice chose to play for England. The problem is that the set up in this country made it easy for him to decide.

England are a country on the up, they have an excellent young set up, they have a young manager who promotes younger players and some real quality coming through the ranks (demonstrated by their u-20 World Cup win last year). When you have such optimism, is it any wonder that Rice had his head turned when Southgate sat him down and went to such trouble to explain how much he wanted the player, and where he saw him in his plans? Can you imagine Martin or Roy doing anything similar?

Some people just cannot see the wood for the trees.

The problem isn't that Rice chose to play for England. The problem is that the set up in this country made it easy for him to decide.

England are a country on the up, they have an excellent young set up, they have a young manager who promotes younger players and some real quality coming through the ranks (demonstrated by their u-20 World Cup win last year). When you have such optimism, is it any wonder that Rice had his head turned when Southgate sat him down and went to such trouble to explain how much he wanted the player, and where he saw him in his plans? Can you imagine Martin or Roy doing anything similar?

There’s no evidence to suggest this has been an easy process so I don’t know where you got that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Eod100 wrote: »

Those born in 2000, currently anyone who qualifies for our u19s team will be underage for this tournament if we qualify as hosts. Even more reason imo to give Noel King the boot and let Tom Mohan work with those who'll be underage for the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

The fact is this, it's never been easier to get capped for England. The premiership has slowly but surely dwindled their talent pool of English players.

I wouldn't blame MON, but there has been a perfect storm of factors that's brought us to where we are now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,132 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

If Rice decided to play for England because the bad man say mean things he can't have been that interested in playing for Ireland in the first place. If thats enough to cause him to flake out wouldn't want to be relying on him in big games.

God help the poor dear with some of the chants he'll hear in England.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement