Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to NI from ROI

Options
  • 11-01-2018 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,
    The fiance and I are thinking about moving to Northern Ireland after the wedding, but can't find too much up to date info. I'm from Hungary but live in Ireland for the past 10 years. He is Irish. From what I read so far people are friendly, but there are certain areas that should be avoided? What are the main things that we should know before making a decision?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,847 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Leo23 wrote: »
    Hi,
    The fiance and I are thinking about moving to Northern Ireland after the wedding, but can't find too much up to date info. I'm from Hungary but live in Ireland for the past 10 years. He is Irish. From what I read so far people are friendly, but there are certain areas that should be avoided? What are the main things that we should know before making a decision?
    Thanks
    I am from Northern Ireland....its a fairly varied place.
    Are you thinking about somewhere urban or rural?
    There are certain areas in for example Belfast where I wouldnt feel particularly safe depending on your religion.
    Oh and Larne....avoid there!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Leo23

Thank you for your quick answer! :)
    Rural, most definitely! Grew up in a tiny village so big cities are a bit too much for me. We are both Catholic.

Leo23 wrote: »
    Thank you for your quick answer! :)
    Rural, most definitely! Grew up in a tiny village so big cities are a bit too much for me. We are both Catholic.
    Ah lovely stuff.
    I am originally from the glens of antrim so from a rural areas as well.
    Is there anywhere in particular you are thinking of?
    I love northern ireland and I think its a lot more settled the last 15 years really, when I go up to Belfast its choc full of really nice bars and restaurants. I find the people up the north in general hugely friendly especially in a more rural setting.

Well I heard wonderful things about fermanagh but to be completely honest no idea. We are planning to move our honey moon to NI to experience life there first hand ☺️
    I was also wondering about moving with pets. We have a dog, lots of fish, a turtle, an axolotl and a leopard gecko. Through forums I know plenty of people who keep reptiles there etc, but is it hard to find a place to rent that allows pets?

My sister lives near a place called the Moy in Tyrone which is quite a nice spot.
    She was previously in Warrenpoint in County Down which is a really nice place to live I thought.
    Maybe doing a honey moon tour might be a good way to go :)

I recently did a bit of a road trip with my partner and the dog along the Causeway Coast route and we had a brilliant time doing the usual tourist things, the rope bridge, giants causeway, dark hedges and lots of walks etc.

I am not sure about renting with pets etc to be honest, I havent rented in Northern Ireland for about 16 years.

• Advertisement

I just quickly googled Moy and Warrenpoint. They both seem lovely! Moy reminds me a bit to the village where we live now. :)
    Yes, a honeymoon tour would definitely be a great idea seen as neither of us have been to Northern Ireland before.
    It all sounds so amazing! The more we hear and research, the more we think it would be the right place for us. I do understand it's not all sunshine (just like everywhere else) but I think it would be the right place to start a new chapter in our life.
    Thank you so much for you help!

Advertisement