Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

500m Poles and Overhead Wire Needed From Eir

• 06-08-2020 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭

Hi all,

I live in an area that has no overhead Eir cables. Nearest pole is 500m away and that feeds a house that can get 200b+ speeds on their fibre broadband. There is overhead poles along the 500m route, just no cables.

I have tried 3 times to sign up for broadband with eir. Each time we get sent out a modem and then are told that an engineer says we cannot get the service.

There is 3 houses in a row beside me and a 4th an extra 100m away that would avail.of the internet service if it was available.

My question is what advice would anyone give in how to try and get Eir to install a few more poles and the 500m of overhead cables to get the service to our house? And I'm assuming that because the house 500m away gets 200mb+ then we could reasonably expect speeds of 10mb+ which is all we need.

Thanks

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

Dats_rite wrote: »
    Hi all,

I live in an area that has no overhead Eir cables. Nearest pole is 500m away and that feeds a house that can get 200b+ speeds on their fibre broadband. There is overhead poles along the 500m route, just no cables.

I have tried 3 times to sign up for broadband with eir. Each time we get sent out a modem and then are told that an engineer says we cannot get the service.

There is 3 houses in a row beside me and a 4th an extra 100m away that would avail.of the internet service if it was available.

My question is what advice would anyone give in how to try and get Eir to install a few more poles and the 500m of overhead cables to get the service to our house? And I'm assuming that because the house 500m away gets 200mb+ then we could reasonably expect speeds of 10mb+ which is all we need.

Thanks

I'd look into getting Imagine 5G Broadband.. My brother who lives in the ar*e end of nowhere was getting next to nothing with fixed line broadband, after they got Imagine in they went up to 68mbps

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Dats_rite

conor_ie wrote: »
    I'd look into getting Imagine 5G Broadband.. My brother who lives in the ar*e end of nowhere was getting next to nothing with fixed line broadband, after they got Imagine in they went up to 68mbps

We currently have radio broadband but we have regular drop outs and we work from home so when on a call or a presentation its highly frustration. I'd guess that imagine is similarly unreliable as opposed to fixed line....I'm.open to correction though.

If my neighbour is getting 200mb+ 500m away then surely I can get 10mb+ in my house?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,636 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

If my neighbour is getting 200mb+ 500m away then surely I can get 10mb+ in my house?

Only over the old copper line depending on distance from the exchange and then only if eir will install one. Your neighbour has FTTH if they are getting 200+ Mbps, if eir or SIRO haven't extended the fibre as far as you in the initial rollout you'll have to wait for the government funded National Broadband Plan to supply you with fibre.

Enter your eircode here - https://nbi.ie/
    https://fibrerollout.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

If you have no other options, you could make a deal with your neighbour to have a new service dropped to their house and setup a wireless link between you/them on that dedicated internet service to get it to your place. Not easy but not super hard if you have line-of-sight to them and you are on good terms with them. Obviously the neighbour might not like the idea of a little antenna on their house and you'd need to cover the power costs (should be euros a year)...but needs must

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Dats_rite

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    If you have no other options, you could make a deal with your neighbour to have a new service dropped to their house and setup a wireless link between you/them on that dedicated internet service to get it to your place. Not easy but not super hard if you have line-of-sight to them and you are on good terms with them. Obviously the neighbour might not like the idea of a little antenna on their house and you'd need to cover the power costs (should be euros a year)...but needs must

Sadly no line of sight and no relationship with them! I was walking by and introduced myself and about 3 or 4 bits of small talk I dropped the bomb...."so hows your internet speeds"! Cousnt believe what they were getting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Sadly no line of sight and no relationship with them! I was walking by and introduced myself and about 3 or 4 bits of small talk I dropped the bomb...."so hows your internet speeds"! Cousnt believe what they were getting

Time to see if a business arrangement could be got if a pole for the extra height could get line of site so :) You'd be amazed what people might accept if you say 'I'll pay for your internet'.
    a handy LOS tool, not perfect but gives you an idea the lay of the land if its a longer hop

Advertisement