Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ADSL2+ downgraded to G.dmt

• 24-06-2020 4:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭

At the moment I have 4 Mbps/384 Kbps G.dmt with Vodafone. We were having problems with the broadband (Random disconnects, ping spikes, and packet loss) so they put a limit on it, but that didn't help and eventually the problem mostly got sorted. But now they won't remove the limit.

I'm 99% sure we used to have ADSL2+ and speeds higher than 5 down 1 up. And according to the modem we should be able to get that, if not higher. Customer support says they can't increase it because it will slow down the neighbours internet.

Here are my line stats. Since the max upload is >1, I should still be on ADSL2+ right? Also, would changing from interleaved to fastpath help or worsen these problems

DSL synchronization status: Up
    Connection status: Showtime
    Upstream line rate (kbit/s): 384
    Downstream line rate (kbit/s): 4096
    Maximum upstream rate (kbit/s): 1288
    Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s): 6684 (varies between 5.5 to 7.1 Mbps)
    Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB): 28
    Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB): 15.8
    Upstream interleave depth: 64
    Downstream interleave depth: 2
    Line standard: ADSL_G.dmt
    Upstream line attenuation (dB): 29.5
    Downstream line attenuation (dB): 46.5
    Upstream output power (dBmV): 12.3
    Downstream output power (dBmV): 19.6
    Channel type: Interleaved
    Erroneous seconds: 0 days 0 hours 0 minutes 1 second
    DSL up time: 0 days 13 hours 12 minutes 35 seconds
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Any chance you're served by a RSU exchange(cabinet) in a small village? If they can't reprofile you at a click then I'd be suspicious that you're on an exchange that never got upgraded. There shouldn't be any left but it is OpenEir.

If there's a capacity limited radio link then limiting the sync is a workaround to stop you seeing the worst of the issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭butwhynot

I'm not sure how to find that out. If they were able to lower my speeds, surely they would be able to increase them fairly easily. One day the modem synced at 7 down 1.2 up but since then its been locked to 4. For the past year the Internet randomly drops from ~3.4 Mbps to 300 Kbps for up to 10 minutes and then goes back to normal, and I still get ping spikes from 42 -> 130ms. If It still happens after reprofiling, surely there's no harm going back. Instead of just reprofiling, why would they drop me down to G.dmt. I live ~<2km outside Wexford town if that gives you an idea on the cabinet.

Edit: i might be delusional but 1 day I thought I got 10 Mbps on speedtest, Probably just crazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Shoot me a PM with your eircode if you like. Might be able to shed some light on it (won't disclose anything identifying in thread).

Vodafone said the max speed available is 4down/0.384up. I checked Digiweb's website and it now says we can get 4down/1up. Vodafone still won't budge on the profile.
    When I asked about the constant drops in speed and ping spikes, they said it was because of peak usage during the evenings and because of Covid, despite telling them that it happens randomly during the day (I wouldn't call 5am peak hours).

The most annoying thing about this is that there's a FTTH DP ~80m down the road! Also what does it mean when 1 of my neighbours can get eir fibre but is also on the nbi map?

Thanks

https: // i . imgur . com / gl1i2TD.jpg

You can delete this this thread now since everything's sorted now. We're finally getting fibre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,627 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

butwhynot wrote: »
    You can delete this this thread now since everything's sorted now. We're finally getting fibre.

Enjoy.

Im on 1GB and my life has changed

Advertisement