Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No eircode, no broadband...please help!

• 05-08-2020 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

I'm moving into a new build and somehow the devloper forgot to add my house to the list for an eircode. All neighbours have one, we do not. Apparently they only issue 4 times a year and the next one will be November.

None of the broadband companies will place an order for broadband without an eircode, even though siro broadband is in the estate and we could have it straight away with an eircode.

. I am currently working from home due to covid and have to have wifi coverage. I also have teens that may actually expire without online xbox gaming.

Does anyone know a) of anyway to somehow get around the eircode business and get fibre broadband
    OR
    b) get another type of wifi that will be useable for my work laptop and online xbox gaming?

Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

If you have no eirecode the provider may not have capacity left for the property. I'd try get them to confirm that first.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭stinkbomb

If you have no eirecode the provider may not have capacity left for the property. I'd try get them to confirm that first.

I'm sorry I don't follow. Which provider? None of the broadband providers will even speak to me without an eircode, our house "doesn't exist" to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Deagol

I would think one of the fixed wireless providers wouldn't care about an Eircode. There's a couple of them who answer questions on this site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

1. You need to get your Eircode sorted one way or another. Get on to local TD's etc that may be able to help you there to speed it up.

2. You are likely going to have way more success/care given if you deal with the smaller Irish Providers such as Airwire, Digiweb and Lightnet. Dealing with Vodafone and Eir customer support will get you nowhere as you are usually speaking to someone outsourced just working off the usual template script.

3. If there is nothing that can be done but wait, in the mean time, check with the above listed companies to see if they can provide you Fixed Wireless Broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭Dublinandy3

An Internet dongle would be good enough to work with but not for Xbox or similar streaming.

• Advertisement

joe123 wrote: »
    1. You need to get your Eircode sorted one way or another. Get on to local TD's etc that may be able to help you there to speed it up.

2. You are likely going to have way more success/care given if you deal with the smaller Irish Providers such as Airwire, Digiweb and Lightnet. Dealing with Vodafone and Eir customer support will get you nowhere as you are usually speaking to someone outsourced just working off the usual template script.

3. If there is nothing that can be done but wait, in the mean time, check with the above listed companies to see if they can provide you Fixed Wireless Broadband.

I appreciate your reply, thank you.
    I've been on to Eircode, An Post and Comreg. Eircodes only issue quarterly and to be issued in August we needed to have applied for it by June. Developer didn't, and there is nothing that can be done apparently.

Airwire and Lightnet don't cover my area and Digiweb were very nice but couldn't help.

Does anyone know of a reliable fixed wireless company in Meath and how much it might cost?
    The other issue is I don't want a 12 or 18 month contract if I can get the eircode in 3 months?

An Internet dongle would be good enough to work with but not for Xbox or similar streaming.

What about this from Eir? https://www.eir.ie/store/mobile/mbbdevice/bill-pay/

Download speed @ 1Gbps
    Improved WiFi - Supports max 1600Mbps
    Improved design
    1xUSB 2.0, 1xSIM card slot (3FF),1x power interface
    LTE: B1/3/5/7/8/20/28/32/38/40/41/42/43
    WiFi 802.11 a/ac

It says "connect up to 64 devices". Would this be able to support online gaming?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Deagol

stinkbomb wrote: »
    What about this from Eir? https://www.eir.ie/store/mobile/mbbdevice/bill-pay/

Download speed @ 1Gbps
    Improved WiFi - Supports max 1600Mbps
    Improved design
    1xUSB 2.0, 1xSIM card slot (3FF),1x power interface
    LTE: B1/3/5/7/8/20/28/32/38/40/41/42/43
    WiFi 802.11 a/ac

It says "connect up to 64 devices". Would this be able to support online gaming?

That's a router for the broadband you can't get :)

Deagol wrote: »
    That's a router for the broadband you can't get :)

It's the router provided for Eir mobile broadband at 29.99 per month. I'm wondering if its good enough/fast enough to use for internet gaming as well as work purposes/netflix etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Zookey123

It's the router provided for Eir mobile broadband at 29.99 per month. I'm wondering if its good enough/fast enough to use for internet gaming as well as work purposes/netflix etc?
    You want to share a mobile hotspot for gaming? It will not be anywhere near fast enough however, for netflix and emails etc should be good i know its awkward but perhaps your kids can survive a few weeks without x-box? :/

• Advertisement

Zookey123 wrote: »
    You want to share a mobile hotspot for gaming? It will not be anywhere near fast enough however, for netflix and emails etc should be good i know its awkward but perhaps your kids can survive a few weeks without x-box? :/

I want to if it's possible, I don't know if it is, that's why I'm asking for advice.

A few weeks would be fine, but 4 months is a very long time for teenagers. And with so little for them to do during the current situation, and the prospect of further restrictions on their movements if the numbers get worse again....it's the only real way they get to be in contact with friends. That's important to teens.

What I really need to know is, is there any mobile broadband option that would allow for my work and xbox gaming? Any thoughts much appreciated, thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

I'm sorry I don't follow. Which provider? None of the broadband providers will even speak to me without an eircode, our house "doesn't exist" to them.

You won't have unlimited Internet providers outside your home and they ordinarily will design a drop per eirecode plus a small percentage. You need to find out if there is provision for your home on the network outside. If there isn't a port / drop / tap allocated getting an eirecode won't help.

I understand the situation and from experience of tethering to my moms phone it can be very slow at times as well as highly draining on the phones battery. Netflix and email will work but gaming will not. Weird suggestion but if you are friendly with the neighbours and agree to share costs perhaps they can let you use their WiFi for a few months since it is unlimited.

You won't have unlimited Internet providers outside your home and they ordinarily will design a drop per eircode plus a small percentage. You need to find out if there is provision for your home on the network outside. If there isn't a port / drop / tap allocated getting an eircode won't help.

I can't find that out as to them, the house doesn't exist without an eircode. So they can't check if there is provision for my home, as they treat it as if it is imaginary :rolleyes: All I know is that everyone else who has recently moved in or is doing so now can choose between Sky and Vodaphone at least.

We all lived a long time without eircodes, I can't understand how they are so essential for something like this?

I understand the situation and from experience of tethering to my moms phone it can be very slow at times as well as highly draining on the phones battery. Netflix and email will work but gaming will not. Weird suggestion but if you are friendly with the neighbours and agree to share costs perhaps they can let you use their WiFi for a few months since it is unlimited.

I understand that tethering to a phone won't work, but a proper mobile broadband set up with a proper router and alleged download speeds of up to 1Gbps.....will that work?

unfortunately we don't know any of the neighbours, everyone is only just moving in now. We wont be there for another 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 richbohs

I was in a very similar position, I went with Three Mobile Broadband. 30 euro a month with no contact. Did me fine for working from home, streaming and gaming. Might be an option if you are in an area with good mobile signal.

richbohs wrote: »
    I was in a very similar position, I went with Three Mobile Broadband. 30 euro a month with no contact. Did me fine for working from home, streaming and gaming. Might be an option if you are in an area with good mobile signal.

Thank you! Good to see someone used this option. I don't know how good my mobile signal is, I'm with gomo and have no real issues with calls or internet on my phone anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 richbohs

Thank you! Good to see someone used this option. I don't know how good my mobile signal is, I'm with gomo and have no real issues with calls or internet on my phone anyway.

Might be an option for you. You will also need a router, I think I paid around 90 euro. Got it from three also

Do you have a phone line? dial up could be an option some of my rural friends use it for gaming. Im not sure if it will work for all games such as FPS but should for the lower data usage games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

is virgin media available in the estate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

We all lived a long time without eircodes, I can't understand how they are so essential for something like this?
    It's not so much a lack of an Eircode is the problem it's the lack of an address entry in An Post's Geodirectory, Eircode is just a handy lookup for that. Though maybe the process has changed slightly since Eircode.

Do you have a phone line? dial up could be an option some of my rural friends use it for gaming. Im not sure if it will work for all games such as FPS but should for the lower data usage games.

No phone line, and can't get one as that also needs an eircode! Or at least they need to be able to find our address on their lookup....and it doesn't exist

TheChizler wrote: »
    It's not so much a lack of an Eircode is the problem it's the lack of an address entry in An Post's Geodirectory, Eircode is just a handy lookup for that. Though maybe the process has changed slightly since Eircode.

It's both. You have to apply to have your address entered on the geodirectory, they verify and pass on to eircode, who issue quarterly. Even when its on the geodirectory, it doesn't exist to providers until the eircode can be found on their system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

Only option so sounds like mobile broadband that vodafone, three and eir offer. Comreg have a coverage map that you can see here which will.give an indication of your area https://coveragemap.comreg.ie/map

Not ideal for online gaming, but if you're in a strong reception area you may be ok.

Imagine are another option but I've heard very mixed reports on them.

As for contract length, I doubt youl get one below 12 months but worth asking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭dam099

The device linked and described by the OP is a proper router for 4G mobile broadband so not comparable to a mobile hotspot or tethering in many respects.

It could be quite good if in an area with strong mobile coverage (or even marginal coverage when paired with an antenna) and a cell site that is not too contended with users or it could be virtually unusable if connecting to a heavily contended cell. Problem is you would need to try it and see and that device from Eir likely also comes with a minimum 12 month contract.

You could try PAYG SIMs in a phone (inside and outside) to see which mobile operator has the best signal/speeds and then go with them either on contract or PAYG (and stump out the cost of a good 4G router yourself)

Advertisement