Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

05-11-2016, 09:07   #1
kadman

Advice thread for Novice Woodturners.

As I,ve been constantly asked of late, so many woodturning questions for,

newbies, intermediate, and advanced, I think its time for the wealth of information among you all to be chimed in on this.

I suppose this thread could be broken into areas of, budget, spindle turning,
bowl turning, tools , chucks and methods. Plus loads more.

But hey folks, here's the ball, run with it.

To start,

My own needs orientate more to bowl turning and face plate work. So my main priority is stability of weight, first, then access to deep turning methods.
I,m not overly obsessed with turninng spindle length, as the timbers i use tend not to be available in long lengths.
Advertisement
05-11-2016, 16:56   #2
delaney001

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadman View Post
As I,ve been constantly asked of late, so many woodturning questions for,

newbies, intermediate, and advanced, I think its time for the wealth of information among you all to be chimed in on this.

I suppose this thread could be broken into areas of, budget, spindle turning,
bowl turning, tools , chucks and methods. Plus loads more.

But hey folks, here's the ball, run with it.

To start,

My own needs orientate more to bowl turning and face plate work. So my main priority is stability of weight, first, then access to deep turning methods.
I,m not overly obsessed with turninng spindle length, as the timbers i use tend not to be available in long lengths.
Good idea for a thread. No such thing as a stupid woodturning question!
05-11-2016, 18:30   #3
kadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by delaney001 View Post
Good idea for a thread. No such thing as a stupid woodturning question!

Ditto,

My own level of knowledge on woodturning, is equally matched by what i dont know about woodturning.

Both being on an equal par
Thanks from:
05-11-2016, 23:03   #4
woodturner

I've more books, mags and dvds on the craft and would know quite a lot about turning. Putting it into practice is a different kettle of fish. I'd like to be able to make various things, bowls, hollow forms, platters and spindle type items and not just turn the same way, faceplate or spindle, the whole time. Someone once said to me it's better to be a jack of all trades than a master of none so I'm always trying out different things whether it be woodturning, woodworking, carving, welding you name it.
25-11-2016, 08:41   #5
peter bermingham

Have one of the old blue record power DML 24 Lathe what would be a good quilt 4 jaw chuck to get. Thanks
Advertisement
25-11-2016, 10:09   #6
kadman

For a novice that wants to get stuck in on woodturning. Well not literally.

Choice of timber I,d go for would be holly.

It turns like butter, and will remove the initial fear factor of poking at a spinning piece

of wood with a ..................mostly blunt object at the outset. But your sharpening techniques

will improve with practice, and plenty of water.
25-11-2016, 14:33   #7
mayo.mick

Back making shavings on my lathe after being absent from it for a few years. Looking to get a white or blue wheel for my standard 6" bench grinder. The spindle on the grinder is 13mm. My usual online shop isn't much help (first time )
25-11-2016, 20:09   #8
kadman

You should be able to get plastic inserts to fit any wheel to accomodate

different spindle sizes.
Thanks from:
25-11-2016, 20:45   #9
woodturner

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter bermingham View Post
Have one of the old blue record power DML 24 Lathe what would be a good quilt 4 jaw chuck to get. Thanks
The Nova G3 would be a good light chuck for that lathe. The majority of Record lathes have a 3/4" X 16tpi spindle and the G3 comesdirectly threaded to suit. A heavier chuck on the spindle of that lathe would damage the bearings.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
25-11-2016, 20:46   #10
woodturner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo.mick View Post
Back making shavings on my lathe after being absent from it for a few years. Looking to get a white or blue wheel for my standard 6" bench grinder. The spindle on the grinder is 13mm. My usual online shop isn't much help (first time )
If you contact Peter Hemsley at The Tool Post in the UK he can advise on the best wheels to get and would also have bushings to fit.
Thanks from:
26-11-2016, 00:38   #11
Stanirish

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodturner View Post
The Nova G3 would be a good light chuck for that lathe. The majority of Record lathes have a 3/4" X 16tpi spindle and the G3 comesdirectly threaded to suit. A heavier chuck on the spindle of that lathe would damage the bearings.
https://www.whraitt.ie/p/rp_sc3_34x1...2572_face_plat

Special Offer this week end only !!
Thanks from:
26-11-2016, 00:40   #12
Stanirish

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodturner View Post
If you contact Peter Hemsley at The Tool Post in the UK he can advise on the best wheels to get and would also have bushings to fit.
https://www.whraitt.ie/p/rs_odonnell...eel_80_150x20_

Turn down a 20mm to 13mm wooden insert on the lathe ??
Thanks from:
26-11-2016, 10:33   #13
timfromtang

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadman View Post
For a novice that wants to get stuck in on woodturning. Well not literally.

Choice of timber I,d go for would be holly.

It turns like butter, and will remove the initial fear factor of poking at a spinning piece

of wood with a ..................mostly blunt object at the outset. But your sharpening techniques

will improve with practice, and plenty of water.

For a novice turner, i would suggest using ash in the round and fresh green.
Ash too cuts beautifully, it has prominent growth rings, easy to identify the correct direction to cut.
Ash is cheap and universally available to anyone with a bushman saw.
If you wish to buy really high quality Ash material really cheaply i'd suggest looking for a small farm forest parcel of Ash locally, and approaching the landowner.

a length of 4-8" diameter will provide loads of material,
split into quarters with an axe or froe or wedge for spindle work, the wood can be turned green for practice, these from quarters (containing no pith) will dry with some distortion but should not crack, and can of course be remounted between centres when dry and turned round again and finished, to dry the green pieces simply bring them inside your heated house for a few weeks/months depending on thickness.

a useful exercise when beginning bowls is to split a nice symmetrical regular round log in half, round corners with chainsaw, bandsaw, axe, what have you got handy? Then turn two bowls, one with the bowl hollowed on the bark side, the second (which can be larger) with the bowl hollowed from the center. This is very instructive in terms of how the grain will reveal itself in turning. the back of the bowls need not be finished and I'd suggest simply screwing the blanks to a faceplate to mount them, note for one of the bowls you will need to flatten off a section of the bark side to mount the faceplate, and on the other a portion of the split side.
tim
Thanks from:
26-11-2016, 10:39   #14
magicbastarder

one of the nicest woods i've turned (and i've not turned too many) was (according to the donor) from an apple tree. takes the cut nicely without much tearout, and easy to sand.

elm is one of the more difficult ones.
26-11-2016, 17:48   #15
mayo.mick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanirish View Post
https://www.whraitt.ie/p/rs_odonnell...eel_80_150x20_

Turn down a 20mm to 13mm wooden insert on the lathe ??
Cheers for that Stan! Will give them a shout.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion