Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The hell that is Gorey

• 03-08-2004 11:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,610 ✭✭✭

Yesterday [ Bank Holiday Monday ] it took me from 2.30pm to 3.20pm to inch my way through Gorey going Northbound - it is a HELL HOLE of a town for traffic. I think it is despicable that the Gardai and Town Councillors there appear to make no effort to alleviate this problem while waiting for a bypass to be constructed.

On the Main St. there it appears that those who rule are the pedestrian and the guy who double parks while waiting for someone to come out of the shop. Its just crazy.

One or two people have mentioned to me that there is a way of avoiding Gorey when going in the Enniscorthy - Dublin route.

Can anyone help by providing a [ reasonably ] detailed description of how to bypass Gorey on that route ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭robo

Yep I had the same on Friday!!
    Drove from Rosslare and got caught going through Gorey for almost an hour!! It is main route from Wexford to Dublin, so it is busy, but the traffic through the town is crazy...
    I spent 2 and a half weeks driving through France and no traffic jams, less than an hour on Irish roads and bang...GOREY!!!
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭jd

eigrod wrote:

Can anyone help by providing a [ reasonably ] detailed description of how to bypass Gorey on that route ?

Thanks.

One way is to go to Dublin via Carlow or Tullow!
    Take a turn left a few miles after Enniscorthy.

To: Dublin,Dublin

Via: Tullow,Carlow

Total Distance: 94.4 miles
    Total Time: 2 hr 19 min

Acc Dist Route Directions

0.00 0.00 R730 Start out at Wexford,Wexford
    Follow signs Dublin R730 (former N11)
    2.70 2.70 N11 Junction with N11
    Turn right N11 (signposted Dublin, Enniscorthy)
    8.10 5.40 N11 Oilgate

14.10 6.00 N11 ENNISCORTHY
    Follow signs Dublin N11 In 1 mile at roundabout take 2nd exit
    17.30 3.20 N80 Junction with N80
    Turn left N80 (signposted Carlow)
    26.10 8.80 N80 Bunclody
    At crossroads forward
    29.10 3.00 N80 Kildavin

34.00 4.90 N81 Junction with N81
    Turn right N81 (signposted Tullow)
    39.10 5.10 N81 Arrive at Tullow

- - - Section time 0:57, Total time 0:57
    You have reached your destination.
    39.10 0.00 N81 Start out at Tullow,Carlow
    Follow signs Baltinglass N81
    45.20 6.10 N81 Rathvilly
    Turn left
    45.70 0.50 N81 Junction with R726
    Turn right
    49.80 4.10 R747 Baltinglass
    At crossroads turn left R747 (signposted Kildare) In 0.2 mile turn right then left In 4.2 miles turn left then right
    56.40 6.60 N9 Junction with N9
    Turn right N9 (signposted Dublin)
    65.50 9.10 M9 Junction with N78/M9
    Keep forward to join Motorway M9
    69.80 4.30 M7 Motorways merge M9/M7
    Keep forward M7
    76.90 7.10 N7 End of Motorway
    Keep forward N7
    88.40 11.50 N7 Newlands Cross ("Bewleys Hotel)
    At traffic signals forward (signposted City Centre, (M50)
    89.40 1.00 R110 Junction with M50
    At roundabout take 2nd exit R110 (signposted City Centre)
    90.10 0.70 R110 Fox and Geese
    At traffic signals forward
    90.50 0.40 R110 Royal Liver Assurance Retail Park (Junction with R112)
    91.70 1.20 R110 Inchicore
    At traffic signals forward In 0.2 mile at traffic signals turn left (signposted All Traffic)
    92.00 0.30 N4 Junction with N4
    At traffic signals turn right N4 (signposted City Centre)
    92.40 0.40 N4 Junction with R111
    92.90 0.50 N4 Heuston Railway Station (on left)
    Cross River Liffey and immediately turn right along North Quays to enter
    94.40 1.50 N4 Arrive at Dublin

- - - Section time 1:22, Total time 2:19
    You have reached your destination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Fudger

yea that place is a joke. I know a short cut when heading to wexford. Am sure you can head that way and then across to enniscorthy near the blackwater turn off.

Anyway to get around gorey on route to wexford just before you come to Gorey from the dublin direction there is a hotel on the left before the railway bridge. Swing a left into there and straight on to a small roundabout go straight through that and turn right just at the tesco. The turn comes up on you quickly. Keep on this road for around 2 miles till you come down a hill and turn right then staight on about 1/4 of a mile and then turn left back onto the r741 and you have by-passed the hole. you can turn right in Ballycanew to enniscorthy or else carry on the r741 a few more miles and then turn right onto the r744 at the turn for blackwater and enniscorthy is around 15 mins away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,610 ✭✭✭eigrod

Cheers guys & thanks for the trouble taken.

I'll print off this post and put it in the car for the next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

It's the punters from Dublin occupying caravans at Courttown that screw up Gorey every summer - it's not the natives. One tip is the caravaners don't get up early - I went through this morning at 09.30 with no delay at all.
    If you are actually in or close to the town trying to beat the traffic there are back roads (to the east going south and to the west if you are going north) which will get you past the worst of it.
    If you are going long distance - just plan to avoid the obvious rush hours - particularly on bank holidays.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Gorey I love it.......................to bits! Very small bits indeed.

I come at it from the south so can expect a tailback which, if bad will extend to beyond the "Welcome to Gorey" sign. So I now take a right about 4 miles earlier and cut across to the coast road and then left into Gorey which is far quicker if longer physically.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Fudger

vinnyfitz wrote:
    It's the punters from Dublin occupying caravans at Courttown that screw up Gorey every summer - it's not the natives. One tip is the caravaners don't get up early - I went through this morning at 09.30 with no delay at all.
    If you are actually in or close to the town trying to beat the traffic there are back roads (to the east going south and to the west if you are going north) which will get you past the worst of it.
    If you are going long distance - just plan to avoid the obvious rush hours - particularly on bank holidays.

true they don't surface till around mid day.

I went trough it at 6 this morning, at that time its a lovely place. What am i saying no no its a hell hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

vinnyfitz wrote:
    It's the punters from Dublin occupying caravans at Courttown that screw up Gorey every summer - it's not the natives.

The earlier comments in the thread about no law enforcement and the locals double parking reminds me very much of Loughrea.

While neither Loughrea nor Gorey can take the traffic it is fairly obvious that the locals can take the piss with their parking and that the guards wont do anything about it either.

Loughrea hired a traffic warden for a month in the late 1990s , he didnt last :D

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Muck wrote:
    The earlier comments in the thread about no law enforcement and the locals double parking reminds me very much of Loughrea.

While neither Loughrea nor Gorey can take the traffic it is fairly obvious that the locals can take the piss with their parking and that the guards wont do anything about it either.

Loughrea hired a traffic warden for a month in the late 1990s , he didnt last :D

M

Probably rotting away in some remote bog.

There are a few short-cuts using the backroads around Gorey, the one I used to take northbound was a one lane track on the left about 2 miles south of the town, it took about 4 or 5 turns but I used to come out over the railway about 4 miles north of the town 10 minutes later. I got a good OS map that showed all the little roads and it was fairly simple. For me the N81 is too much of a detour as I had to go over the mountains to get home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,107 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

got stuck going northbound thru gorey on saturday - after 30 minutes waiting on the southside of the town I had moved about 50 yards. TodayFM were saying the delays were an hour so I decided to head cross country.

as one of the previous posters mentioned there is a very small left hand turn about 2 miles south of the town that allows you to go around to the west but you need 2 of the discovery series maps to navigate the detour as Gorey is on the edge of 2 sheets.

I only had the bottom map so I navigated onto the Carnew road and came back Carnew-Aughrim-Rathdrum-Rathnew and then back onto the N11. The roads are reasonably good unless you get stuck behind a tractor. I have now decided NEVER to go through Gorey again unless its the middle of the night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

theres an article in todays indo about a funding shortfall at the NRA

apparently the Gorey bypass is one that will be put on hold (macroom & castleblaney are the others)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

If this report is true then the NRA should take up farming as they are now one of the biggest land owners in the Gorey area. They have already completed all the relevant CPOs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

loyatemu wrote:
    I have now decided NEVER to go through Gorey again unless its the middle of the night.

Its only ****e in the summer months and certain otherdays/times the rest of the year.

Mike.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Every town in France seems to have a bypass even if it is just a collection of roads that go around the town with that traffic having priority.. for example if that was applied in Charleville (coming from Cork) you could turn right, down past the NCT centre, along the road, around by the barracks and have priority to turn right back on to the Limerick road.. saves time, cuts down non-stoppers blocking parking spaces for the locals and only really needs signage so is fairly cheap...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

parsi wrote:
    Every town in France seems to have a bypass even if it is just a collection of roads that go around the town with that traffic having priority.. for example if that was applied in Charleville (coming from Cork) you could turn right, down past the NCT centre, along the road, around by the barracks and have priority to turn right back on to the Limerick road.. saves time, cuts down non-stoppers blocking parking spaces for the locals and only really needs signage so is fairly cheap...

Yes but in Ireland it would cost millions in compensation to the dozen people whose lives would be "ruined" by traffic passing by their driveways and more millions to the shopkeepers whose lives are "ruined" by the lack of passing trade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

John R wrote:
    Yes but in Ireland it would cost millions in compensation to the dozen people whose lives would be "ruined" by traffic passing by their driveways and more millions to the shopkeepers whose lives are "ruined" by the lack of passing trade.
    not to mention the "NIMBY's" who would object ot it anyway :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭jd

dmeehan wrote:
    not to mention the "NIMBY's" who would object ot it anyway :rolleyes:
    AFAIR a chip shop owner in Ashford objected to the early opening of the Rathnew/Ashford by-pass :(

Advertisement