Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-07-2019, 17:06   #1
Stigura

Temperatures ...

Hundred and Three F?!?

I talk to a friend, in NZ, most nights. We're in the habit of exchanging temp's. Only, being in a stone cottage, I know my room temp's in no way reflect what's going on outside.

So, just for the amusement, I bought another, identical thermometer and put it on the wall, outside my window. Idea being I could peek out and report the outside temps.

Min / Max and Present, of course. Saturday hit 99.1F. Yesterday was a blistering 99.3F. Looked, today, and almost lost it! Maxed at 103F!!!

And this is Leitrim. You peeps down south alright ....?
Advertisement
15-07-2019, 17:51   #2
Srameen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stigura View Post
Hundred and Three F?!?

I talk to a friend, in NZ, most nights. We're in the habit of exchanging temp's. Only, being in a stone cottage, I know my room temp's in no way reflect what's going on outside.

So, just for the amusement, I bought another, identical thermometer and put it on the wall, outside my window. Idea being I could peek out and report the outside temps.

Min / Max and Present, of course. Saturday hit 99.1F. Yesterday was a blistering 99.3F. Looked, today, and almost lost it! Maxed at 103F!!!

That's 40c !!

Even allowing for the storage heater affect of the stone wall that's almost double the recorded temperature today. I'd put the thermometer somewhere less susceptible to interference. Or maybe buy a more accurate device.
15-07-2019, 17:53   #3
Fast Twitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stigura View Post
Hundred and Three F?!?

That's temperature in the sun. Nothing amazing. Weather air temperature is air in the shade. You're just measuring direct sunlight.
Thanks from:
15-07-2019, 17:54   #4
Srameen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Twitch View Post
That's temperature in the sun. Nothing amazing. Weather air temperature is air in the shade. You're just measuring direct sunlight.
And affixed to a stone wall.
Thanks from:
15-07-2019, 17:55   #5
Fast Twitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srameen View Post
And affixed to a stone wall.
What a bizarre thread!!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
15-07-2019, 18:02   #6
Srameen

Quote:
What a bizarre thread!!
Not if it was in the Weather Forum.
15-07-2019, 18:40   #7
OpenYourEyes

Mod Note: Moved to the Weather forum... note that local charter etc. applies!
Thanks from:
15-07-2019, 18:51   #8
Stigura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srameen View Post
That's 40c !!

I know! (Well, I Didn't know. But, I'll take ye word for it. Obviously though, it's Bloody Hot, isn't it?!)

Thing is; This is the Third of these thermo's I have. One in here. One in the kitchen. Now, this one outside. I lined them all up, in here. Side by side. Granted, there was a couple of degrees F variance between them. It's not like they're advertised as Scientific Instruments.

And, yes, fair point about the storage effect. And, yes; It's hung on the west side of a south facing window reveal. So, we're definitely talking absolute Maximum exposure to the sun here.

But, all the same ....! Must be F Hot out there!

Oh! Well, That's mad! Weather forecast, for town, gives a max 73F! Think I'll stick the kitchen one out there too. Somewhere more shaded 30F difference Is a bit much, isn't it?
15-07-2019, 18:55   #9
Stigura

Quote:
Ahh! Thanks! I hadn't seen ye post as I just came in on the alert. Showed me Srameen and I didn't realise there were other replies

Cool. I'll Definitely resite it now!

And thanks for the move too. I didn't know we Had a weather board
Thanks from:
Advertisement
15-07-2019, 18:56   #10
iamwhoiam

Does anyone use Fahrenheit anymore ?
15-07-2019, 18:59   #11
Srameen

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwhoiam View Post
Does anyone use Fahrenheit anymore ?
Outside of the US? Someone obviously does.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion