Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow on Higher Ground

Options
  • 27-01-2014 12:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Rather than ask people whether there is any decent snow on Lug or Galtees or Carrauntoohill etc in some of the other winter/storm threads, can I suggest a thread where people can report on snow accumulations in the hills/mountains and maybe add some juicy pics. I know a lot of you head for higher ground during cold periods so it would be great to share where is good to go...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

a lot of low fog and cloud today,
    [IMG][/img]2zh34mx.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Stunning photo. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Anyone see any snow in the Connemara or Mayo mountains?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

What is causing this exceptional fall of 13cm snow on Galtymore on Friday night?

http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Galtymore/forecasts/917

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Red Pepper wrote: »
    What is causing this exceptional fall of 13cm snow on Galtymore on Friday night?

http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Galtymore/forecasts/917

Not a meteorologist ::

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2014021106/gfs-0-84.png?6?6

it must be something to do with the cold air and this low pressure system coming up from the south

• Advertisement

Any accumulations at The Hell Fire Club or Glencullen from the recent showers?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Yeah Donal i was up there from 11 , a nice dusting indeed , left at half 2 before those heavier showers so i say itll even a bit better :)

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Yeah Donal i was up there from 11 , a nice dusting indeed , left at half 2 before those heavier showers so i say itll even a bit better :)

Sweet! That Glencullen or the Hell Fire?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Curagh forest?... so closer to hellfire i guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

snowing off and on all afternoon since lunch time. one minute blowing snow everywhere, next sun comes out. there is a sprinkling that is sticking to the ground right now.

NW lusk 105m asl

cbaf171c933811e3b63212d269f676eb_8.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭Totofan99

Just made a lovely shower of graupel here in east Galway! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Unless you have a 4x4 I wouldn't venture up there now. I was tempted earlier to have a look around but seeing the pics posted at lower levels I decided it was a poor idea. The visibility would be fairly bad in blizzard conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

On the bus approaching the Galtees from Cork, they look incredible. Will try get a pic!

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

MiNdGaM3 wrote: »
    On the bus approaching the Galtees from Cork, they look incredible. Will try get a pic!

here's one from the other side,
    a quick photostitch 4 images
    [IMG][/img]12464258024_6ed4f48207_c.jpg
    galtee snow by James Reynolds tipp, on Flickr

here's one from the other side,
    a quick photostitch 4 images
    [IMG][/img]12464258024_6ed4f48207_c.jpg
    galtee snow by James Reynolds tipp, on Flickr

Nice one! The pics from the bus couldn't do them justice. If it wasn't for the storm tomorrow, I'd go hiking. Hopefully there'll be some snow left for the weekend though.

Pics from the Hell Fire Club this evening (copied from the cycling forum!), a few centimetres of snow at the top. Poor quality as I only had my camera phone.

6pLxPU.jpg

5xNeX6.jpg

7DymZy.jpg

7N48z6.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Will all this rain wash away all the lovely snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭rockdrummer4

Much snow around the Dublin / Wiclow mountains this weekend?

Anyone know how the Sally Gap/Kippure is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Dónal wrote: »
    Anyone know how the Sally Gap/Kippure is?

Remember its The Sally Gap Mountain Pass and Mount Kippure Peak which is in the Dublin / Wicklow Rockies

:D:D:D:D:D

If I was around I would have a few pics up. But alas im not....Damn :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Kippure wrote: »
    Remember its The Sally Gap Mountain Pass and Mount Kippure Peak which is in the Dublin / Wicklow Rockies

:D:D:D:D:D

If I was around I would have a few pics up. But alas im not....Damn :rolleyes:

Hah, Mount Kippure Peak it is!

Anyone know if it's a yes for snow?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Dónal wrote: »
    Hah, Mount Kippure Peak it is!

Anyone know if it's a yes for snow?

Was up there today and it was covered in snow. Once you go past lough bray it starts to get snowy/icy. The road to the gap looked pretty clear, but off the main road and it was a no go.

I was driving, and once I got to kippure I turned around for fear of binning my car up there!

Well it's worth checking the mountain forecast. This is the forecast for the elevation it's on 757m. http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Kippure/forecasts/757

It's 0c now with a windchill of -8c :eek:.

Still some snow up Mount Kippure Peak (and the surrounding Rockies) definitely!

6JVpZe_thumb.jpg

7iMYuS_thumb.jpg

6YbQ88_thumb.jpg

7BwWtG_thumb.jpg

So that was you leaving sparks behind you, with you're balls of steel. Fook me it's one thing going up in a car!

Took a cycle out to the black road and hiked up Galtymore yesterday.

Not much snow lower down due to the melt, and on the top due to the wind, but a decent covering on the east facing slope of Galtymore itself.

The view from the bottom of the black road.
    Z8ESco3.jpg?1

A little way up the path, passed the car park.
    6hXmIfS.jpg?1

View from the bottom of Galtybeg
    uHiK962.jpg?1

Some icicles between Galtybeg and Galtymore
    n9Nfybl.jpg?1

Galtymore itself
    NDIB2iR.jpg?1

Some of the snow cover on the east facing slope. Was generally around 8-10 inches deep, with pockets of up to 2 feet and drifts on around 1m.
    9bQLwp8.jpg?1

Looking south toward the Knockmealdowns
    8zzvAZ7.jpg?1

Below is a link 360 degree interactive panorama from the top of Galtymore itself, just click on the picture when it loads (might take a little while), and then use the first symbol to go full screen. From there you can zoom in and out and have a look around!
    http://www.360facil.com/eng/virtual-tour-online-creator-image-selected.php?image_id=2758

Advertisement