Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Numbers/Street names Census

Options
  • 08-09-2011 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

yet another question!

I've got my husbands GGP's marriage cert, which has their fathers names on it so makes it easy for census, they got married in march of 1911 but both appear seperately on the census, marriage doesn't appear to be registered until July of that year so may explain it!

Anyway, for both of them the addresses are different but only slightly

On one the address on the Marriage cert is 10 tower street, on the census it's 12 tower street, on the other it's 12 Rock Cottages for the marriage cert, but on census its 12 Rock Terrace, there is no 12 rock cottages on the census http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Cork/Cork_No__4_Urban__part_of_/Rock_Cottages/

I'm taking it that both of the addresses are right based on the census because the family names, fathers names etc are all right too.... but yet again something just niggled to see if this has come up before...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Sometimes streets were subdivided - e.g. there could be a terrace of houses, or a group of cottages that were part of a street and used the overall street numbers, but were listed separately on the census. I'm not very familiar with Cork City streets , but have come across this in Dublin

Do you know where these addresses are ?
    They might be shown on the 25" OSI Map

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭dido2

Yes I know where the addresses are and in both cases both are in the same place on the census as on the marriage cert, Rock terrace and Rock Cottages are more or less next to each other, I can't verify them on a map though, but I know where they are, the tower street one my husbands GGM is listed as 19, her marriage cert has her 20 in March 1911, when was the actual census done that year, was it April?? Can't figure out why they were married in March but it wasn't registed until July though....

1901 census was on Sunday the 31st March

1911 census was on Sunday 2nd April

Except for late registrations or mistakes, marriages should be registered in the quarter in which they took place.

Shane

p.s. when you say they both appear separately on the 1911 census - are they also listed as single, and the bride as her maiden name ?

I was thinking maybe someone filled in the census form ahead of time - but that would seem unlikely for two related households

Shane

Yeah both appear separately with the bride down as single, the groom has a more easy name to trace because it's not as common so I know it's the right family for him, the bride I think I'm right because the age is more or less right, address is more or less right, 2 houses out with no other family with the same name on the street, and her fathers name is right too.... looking at both 10 and 12 on the map there is just one house between them unless they did actually move house at that time... tis just another strange thing with the census...

• Advertisement

Was there anything to do with age in terms of marriage, the full age being 21??? their date of marriage is down as 9th March 1911, not registered until 25th July 1911

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I'd check the church record on that marriage - that seems a long time between the dates.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I was thinking that its the july date thats right rather than the march date, I think the church is ok about looking at records so must look in to it just to check the date....

dido2 wrote: »
    Was there anything to do with age in terms of marriage, the full age being 21??? their date of marriage is down as 9th March 1911, not registered until 25th July 1911

just wondering about this bit... how do you know the date of registration ?

any of the marriage certs I have from this time show just the date of marriage. Birth and death certs show date of of registration

S.

I'll upload a copy later, but on the left side of the copy there is a column with

Marriage No 107 Registered by me, this 25th day of July 1911 and a signature of the registrar underneath it and brackets to indicate it's the marriage

• Advertisement

maybe a late registration then... still doesn't explain them being single on the census..

S.

It's a very late registration and by now I'm kind of getting the feeling that the census's had their own funny little things going on as well then!!

forgot to mention ... sometimes the numbers shown on the census returns and transcript are site numbers used by the enumerator rather than actual postal addresses. This seems to be more common on the 1901 returns. To verify the house number, check the additional details on the Household form - it's shown as 'additional page : 2'

Part of this form show the 'street etc with No. of house' and also the number used by the enumerator as 'No. on Form B' - these can sometimes be different. Unfortunately this option is not available for the 1901 returns

Shane

I did check both of pages 2's on the census returns, and both have the same house numbers, on the rock cottages/rock terrace one though it looks like something else may have been wrote then changed http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai001867730/

I did find though that the tower street address is only around the corner from where my husbands GM was born, her mother was the one who lived in Tower street so I think it most likely is the right one...

I emailed the church in question about the marriage that was only registered in July, and I got an email back confirming that they did indeed get married on the 9th March 1911 and possibly given the turmoil the country was in at the time might be why it wasn't registered until later....

Advertisement