Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish newspaper archives

Options
  • 06-09-2011 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

I've come across the Irish Newspaper Archive and it looks like it could be pretty handy for some research I'm working on at the moment. It costs €350 for a years access, although you can also get daily, weekly & monthly rates. I reckon I could possibly get my moneys worth out of that, but my problem is that this is just one of the many subscription services out there that I could sign up to for genealogy resources. If I signed up to them all then I would end up spending a lot of money.

I'm not complaining about paying for resources - I know it costs money to scan, process, host, etc . . . all this content and the simple fact of having stuff available in an instant (compared to how it was back in the '90s when I started with visits to the archives, a lot of paper slips, a lot of waiting, etc . . .) is defintely worth money. But my problem is how to choose which services to pay for.

All very long winded - sorry.

What I'm getting to is - does anyone know whether the original microfilm copies of various newspapers are available in public libraries or other public locations ? In particular (at the moment) I'm thinking of the Anglo Celt, but I'm wondering about Irish papers in general.

Thanks,

z

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭hblock21

That website is available for free in most if not all libraries in Ireland. Have a think about that before registering for the whole year.

As for microfilm's, just speaking Tipperary papers, they are all held in Thurles library. I imagine that it is the same for all other counties i.e. microfilm copies held in main county / family history library.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

To be honest, it depends on what you expect to get out of it. I don't feel it's worth the money because it doesn't include the Irish Times, which I would consider a huge resource. I prefer to pay €10 or €15 for a day or two as I need it, which might only be twice or three times a year.

I would also go in to the Dublin City Archives on Pearse street (just around the corner from Pearse Station) quite a bit as they have it for free there, and The Irish Times! I know they have original copies of some of the newspapers but you'd be best to ring them to check which ones.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I agree with Alicat - but in general, newspaper access has served me better for college assignments and helping others than for my own ancestry. I had access to the IT, the one mentioned above and Jstor through my UCD connect account but I've finished the course now and there seems to be no way to retain that access, even for a fee, without doing another adult ed course.

The NLI has newspapers on microfilm and county libraries will usually be better on regional papers.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Thanks for the replies. I'll drop down to the local library tonight and see if I can access from there.

Pinky - if you're a member of UCD Alumni you can get a library card. I don't know if this grants the level of access you are looking for but it's worth checking it out.

http://www.ucd.ie/alumni/membership/

z

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Unfortunately it doesn't! I checked it out.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
Advertisement