Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Smartphone for 200-350

Options
  • 26-01-2019 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Looking for a smartphone with:

Great camera
    Metal Build
    Great Battery
    USB C
    Good processor
    NFC
    Latest Android Updates

Not missing any key features.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sesame

Not sure if you mean within contract, but I bought a Huewei P20 Pro a couple of weeks ago on an Eir contract and am very impressed. Camera is best feature, great shots.
    Came from Samsungs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

You'd be very hard pushed to find all that for that money for a straight purchase, especially the camera and updates. Like the poster above was saying, you'd have loads of options if it was 200-350 up front on a contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

That is very similar to my requirements. My current phone is a HTC M10, so I'm used to a quality feel...

I'm resigned to the fact that most phones have glass backs these days.

I just ordered a Nokia 8.1 SIM free €310:

Great camera. Camera gets good reviews but not on the same scale as top tier phones

Metal Build. It has metal frame of good quality, but a glass back. Not sure if metal phones are a current option.

Great Battery. 3500mhz, enough for a long day if not more. This is one of my main criteria

USB C. Yes, quickcharge.

Good processor. A good current gen, very capable, but not top end.

NFC. Yes

Latest Android Updates. Has Android One (latest version 9) monthly updates and guaranteed two new OS versions over three years (10 + 11) and it means zero bloatware, easier on processor and battery...

I'd get a Xiaomi Mi 8 if you can get it for near that money or a bit more

has all you're looking for

this site is excellent (price in usd) and will deliver in a few days with courier through europe. no customs worries

https://www.honorbuy.com/1496-xiaomi-mi-8-6gb-ram-64gb-rom-official-global-version-smartphone-black.html?search_query=mi+8&results=701

even with 18 usd delivery very near to your budget of 350 euro

mi 8 camera is very highly rated - scored very well on dxomark - flagship level

• Registered Users Posts: 16,505 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'd second the Mi8!
    I ordered one recently including EU/DHL delivery for @€;325.
    I was between that and the Mi2s and the amoled screen swung it for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭sleepysniper

banie01 wrote:
    I'd second the Mi8! I ordered one recently including EU/DHL delivery for ;‚¬325. I was between that and the Mi2s and the amoled screen swung it for me.

Where did you get it for E325? Cheapest I can find it for is ~E360.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

banie01 wrote: »
    I'd second the Mi8!
    I ordered one recently including EU/DHL delivery for @€;325.
    I was between that and the Mi2s and the amoled screen swung it for me.

Unfortunately no 3.5mm jack...:(

That's a deal breaker for me. Thanks anyway!

Hk Goldway on AliExpress.
    € 298,86 | Original Xiaomi Mi 8 Mi8 Mobile Phone 6GB RAM 64GB ROM Snapdragon 845 Octa Core 6.21" 18.7:9 Full Screen 20MP Front Camera NFC
    https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bfym4FNI

Hk Goldway on AliExpress.
    € 298,86 | Original Xiaomi Mi 8 Mi8 Mobile Phone 6GB RAM 64GB ROM Snapdragon 845 Octa Core 6.21" 18.7:9 Full Screen 20MP Front Camera NFC
    https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bfym4FNI
    Presumably not inclusive of vat & customs?

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Presumably not inclusive of vat & customs?

EU transhipped via DHL so none applicable.
    You can of course choose a different shipping option and roll the dice in customs.

• Advertisement

You can of course choose a different shipping option and roll the dice in customs.

Forgot to add...
    Bought via TopCashBack via AliExpress and got €14.50 cashback too so the total cost of the Mi8 delivered to me was actually @€;310 :)
    That was a nice surprise!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

That is very similar to my requirements. My current phone is a HTC M10, so I'm used to a quality feel...

Great camera. Camera gets good reviews but not on the same scale as top tier phones

Metal Build. It has metal frame of good quality, but a glass back. Not sure if metal phones are a current option.

Great Battery. 3500mhz, enough for a long day if not more. This is one of my main criteria

USB C. Yes, quickcharge.

NFC. Yes

Latest Android Updates. Has Android One (latest version 9) monthly updates and guaranteed two new OS versions over three years (10 + 11) and it means zero bloatware, easier on processor and battery...

Hi ya, looking at the same phone. Not to jump in on Ops thread but can I ask where you managed to get it for that price? Can't see it anywhere for under 400

alwaysadub wrote: »

USB C. Yes, quickcharge.

NFC. Yes

Hi ya, looking at the same phone. Not to jump in on Ops thread but can I ask where you managed to get it for that price? Can't see it anywhere for under 400
    eGlobal... They are reliable, but shipping info can be a bit inconsistent and can take time to arrive. But worth it if you are concerned with value over convenience. If you do go that route, sign up for their news letter, you'll get another discount...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

How long did delivery take with DHL? Definitely no customs with that shipping option?

Advertisement