Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Michael D IS running again!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,739 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Even though they specifically say that they were against the idea of a 'coronation'?

Irony of ironies coming from SF who didn't allow anyone to run against Mary Lou or Michelle

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Deadest campaign in decades.

Gallagher a FF bagman, Ní Riada who doesn't seem interested and a smattering of also rans who'll do well to keep deposits.

Higgins on the first count and he'll get 80% in some places.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Just wondering why are party politics prevalent in presidential elections. Gallagher is clearly getting the Fianna Fail vote for the most part. But it's not like he can dictate policy or change anything so why is it political at all?

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Just wondering why are party politics prevalent in presidential elections. Gallagher is clearly getting the Fianna Fail vote for the most part. But it's not like he can dictate policy or change anything so why is it political at all?

Its a bit of a boost for any party to have their person in the highest office irregardless of how limited the position actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,251 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Even though they specifically say that they were against the idea of a 'coronation'?

They were against the idea of a "coronation", because FG and FF were proposing one, that is the nature of opposition for oppositions sake. No real principle involved.

They also believed that they would have a clear run. Young female attractive candidate versus old worn-out traditional politician. Hasn't worked out like that, but you can see how they were thinking.

By throwing four other hats into the ring, the councils have messed that up. The boys in FG and FF must be laughing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67,099 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

VinLieger wrote: »
    Irony of ironies coming from SF who didn't allow anyone to run against Mary Lou or Michelle

I wish people would inform themselves before coming out with that old stchick.
    We had a SF member on here a while back who explained their process and while it isn't the same as other party's it seems perfectly democratic and transparent to me.
    Personally I am delighted that the FFFG franchise wasn't extended into controlling the presidential election process. The two of them look like fools now, and so they should.

blanch152 wrote: »
    They were against the idea of a "coronation", because FG and FF were proposing one, that is the nature of opposition for oppositions sake. No real principle involved.

They also believed that they would have a clear run. Young female attractive candidate versus old worn-out traditional politician. Hasn't worked out like that, but you can see how they were thinking.

By throwing four other hats into the ring, the councils have messed that up. The boys in FG and FF must be laughing.

A clear run against an incumbent who has 70% of the polls? A lead most people with any political insight could see a long time ago without the aid of polls which I am sure all of them have access to privately.

Nah blanch, I would say they ran because they think it is important to face down the merger that isn't a merger.

A clear run against an incumbent who has 70% of the polls? A lead most people with any political insight could see a long time ago without the aid of polls which I am sure all of them have access to privately.

Nah blanch, I would say they ran because they think it is important to face down the merger that isn't a merger.

Ah come on, nobody believes that blather.

The attraction was establishing SF as a normal party regularly contesting Presidential elections and being the single challenger to the establishment. Carving out a place for SF in the political landscape, in other words. It has backfired so far, with a pathetic result in the polls, but it might come good if Liadh can up her game.

FG learned their lesson from the Gay Mitchell debacle and stepped outside the process. FF don't have any clean credible candidate. Political opportunism on their side as well, but with the poll results to date, it seems they called it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I don't think any party viewed Higgins as likely to win by anything less than 25%.

It works for FG not to run, especially after the Gay Mitchell train wreck. They at least have the top job.

FF are going to lose out, not being in the race is a quitter move and all their members aren't pleased. It marks how far they have fallen.

SF aren't putting effort in, hardly any posters, no election leaflets.

Even Gallagher knows Higgins will walk it, he is doing it for brand awareness.

The public are even more apathetic than the parties and candidates.

Ah come on, nobody believes that blather.

The attraction was establishing SF as a normal party regularly contesting Presidential elections and being the single challenger to the establishment. Carving out a place for SF in the political landscape, in other words. It has backfired so far, with a pathetic result in the polls, but it might come good if Liadh can up her game.

FG learned their lesson from the Gay Mitchell debacle and stepped outside the process. FF don't have any clean credible candidate. Political opportunism on their side as well, but with the poll results to date, it seems they called it right.

Running scared is not 'calling it right' blanch, it is 'running scared'.

When you have the two main parties more or less coalescing to keep a third out, I think that 3rd party can be deemed to have 'carved out their place'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Personally I am delighted that the FFFG franchise wasn't extended into controlling the presidential election process. The two of them look like fools now

I don't see that. Of the 70% backing MDH in the polls, I would say the vast majority would have been happy to see him waved through for a second term without the hassle of an election.

FF and FG were making a judgement call in the circumstances, as were SF. Obviously FF and FG don't gain a lot from sitting out the election, but I don't see how they lose much either. SF only gain significantly if they win or come a strong second, which hardly looks likely at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

alaimacerc wrote: »
    If she gets 6%, SF won't see it as a disaster

They should. Freeman passed her in the polls between Sept and Oct, so only the two Dragon fake candidates are lower.

We have been hearing for years that SF would transition from Gerry and Martin, ballot boxes and armalites, to a regular peacetime party with friendly non-terrorist type candidates.

But McGuinness, IRA Chief of Staff when the IRA was at its proxy-bombing worst, got 13.7% of first prefs and finished 3rd. If NI Riada running for the new Sinn Féin can only land half that and finishes 4th, that says that the new cuddly SF does not have the appeal that the old terrorist one had, bad news for Mary Lou & co.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Danzy wrote: »

SF aren't putting effort in, hardly any posters, no election leaflets.

Actually the only posters I have seen are of LNR and then only because she lives fairly locally to where I do. I have not seen a single poster of any of the others.

Actually the only posters I have seen are for LNR and then only because she lives fairly locally to where I do. I have not seen a single poster for any of the others.

No posters in Dublin, but I have seen LNR posters widely elsewhere.

Actually the only posters I have seen are for LNR and then only because she lives fairly locally to where I do. I have not seen a single poster for any of the others.

I'm in Mayo, there are plenty of LNR posters here, no-one else as far as I can see. IF LNR does flop as badly as it looks she will, hopefully that will be seen as evidence that postering is a pointless exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Personally I am delighted that the FFFG franchise wasn't extended into controlling the presidential election process. The two of them look like fools now, and so they should.

They look like fools because they thought keeping the incumbent was the best idea and 70% of the voters agree with them?

I think the fools are the folks who thought a campaign would be a good image builder, who all look like getting humiliated.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

With your user name I don't know how you've missed them, they're all over Dublin 15.

Ive actually seen quite a few in south dublin over the weekend

Are they against presidential 'coronations' in principle? Did they object to mary macaleese being waved through for a second term by the political establishment? Genuinely asking, don't know the answer.

Are they against presidential 'coronations' in principle? Did they object to mary macaleese being waved through for a second term by the political establishment? Genuinely asking, don't know the answer.

To be fair to SF, they were too small to have enough TDs to make a nomination then.

The principle of an election is a good one, but that wasn't the reason driving Sinn Fein.

• Advertisement

To be fair to SF, they were too small to have enough TDs to make a nomination then.

I know that, but they could have voiced their objections if they were against the process in principle.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,152 ✭✭✭✭Water John

O'Riada posters all over Cork. They have been to the doors in the city too.

Hurrache wrote: »
    With your user name I don't know how you've missed them, they're all over Dublin 15.

Why sir, ah do believe you are making unwarrranted assumptions regarding the origins of Blanch(e)'s username.

66170-004-A81F1013.jpg

Hurrache wrote: »

Haven't noticed them to be honest, but wasn't out and about much over the weekend.

I don't know is the honest answer. I remember Labour shouting about allowing her a second term without an election though, and saying they were going to run Higgins.

They look like fools because they thought keeping the incumbent was the best idea and 70% of the voters agree with them?

I think the fools are the folks who thought a campaign would be a good image builder, who all look like getting humiliated.

Yeh they do actually. When we all know that Gallagher is a FF stooge and that FG councillors were tripping over themselves to defy the whip to nominate Duffy.

Egg on chin moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

They should. Freeman passed her in the polls between Sept and Oct, so only the two Dragon fake candidates are lower.
    OK, they won't admit it, if you're happier with that.
    But McGuinness, IRA Chief of Staff when the IRA was at its proxy-bombing worst, got 13.7% of first prefs and finished 3rd. If NI Riada running for the new Sinn Féin can only land half that and finishes 4th, that says that the new cuddly SF does not have the appeal that the old terrorist one had, bad news for Mary Lou & co.

I think you have to factor in the incumbency factor, for even moderate fairness. 20% of the "Bar Higgins" vote still isn't great, but that's a more understandable context to see it in.

That she's polling on par with Freeman and well behind Gallagher, both IMO objectively terrible and not even superficially appealing candidates, OK, not a great result.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

We had a SF member on here a while back who explained their process and while it isn't the same as other party's it seems perfectly democratic and transparent to me.

"As a studiously neutral and non-partisan observer, I wish to make the shock, surprise announcement that I just happen to agree with the SF policy, process, or other matter concerned in this case. Anything else would surely be utterly wrong, indeed."

Our jaws are practically hitting the floor. Though we may be losing count of how often at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

alaimacerc wrote: »

That she's polling on par with Freeman and well behind Gallagher, both IMO objectively terrible and not even superficially appealing candidates, OK, not a great result.
    How is Freeman not even superficially appealing? Surely she is very superficially appealing.

• Advertisement

Yeh they do actually. When we all know that Gallagher is a FF stooge and that FG councillors were tripping over themselves to defy the whip to nominate Duffy.

Egg on chin moments.

The general public don't see it that way. They see one popular incumbent, one party candidate, and four council candidates.

The views on here are from people interested in politics.

Advertisement