Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General TV/Movie/VideoGame Thread-Use Spoiler Tags for Spoilers!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

watched the newest SHIELD ep and the same problem continues to be the case imo, the episode was again an improvement although a little by the numbers but the issue was the lack of character development. I'm sure they are saving some of that till special episodes based around the individual character being discussed but by then will it be too late.

For instance
    Coulson: what happened to him after he "Died" in the battle of New York aka The Avengers, or Melinda May: why she resigned from field work and her supposed legendary status previously, or Sky and her saying that people never believed in her before etc - I know they are trying to create intrigue with these points but to do so we have to care about the characters to begin with and so far they are still not giving us enough and when it looks like they might they stop themselves beforehand - Sky even mentioned how she didn't know much about coulson except that he likes old stuff which would have been an ideal time to highlight one of the old things he has and it's significance to him thus explaining more about his character but instead she just links into her own issue of people not valuing/trusting her and then again doesn't develop why
    not really spoilers about the episode just the show and characters in general thus far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,296 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

watched the newest SHIELD ep and the same problem continues to be the case imo, the episode was again an improvement although a little by the numbers but the issue was the lack of character development. I'm sure they are saving some of that till special episodes based around the individual character being discussed but by then will it be too late.

Though they did
    have the cyber eye doll ask what they did to Coulson. she must've seen something with her X-Ray vision. Hope Mai follows up on this

For the lads on here that bought the new Pokemon game.

My nephew wants it for his birthday (Hope I get a prolonged go though :D ). Just wondering can anyone tell me what the difference is between X and Y?

I remember with Red and blue that some pokemon were exclusive to one game and I presume its the same with the new games?

Basically what would be the best one to get for him? Thanks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Main difference is the pokemon available, yes. If you get Y, the Legendary pokemon in the game is Yveltal, in X it's Xerneas. Other exclusives are Mega Charizard and Mega Mewtwo. X has Mega Charizard X and Mewtwo X, and Y you can get Mega Charizard Y and Mega Mewtwo Y. There's no real difference in the storyline beyond maybe some small superficial changes to dialogue. There's old wild pokémon exclusives in the wild, but you can trade online to get them so it's not that big a deal.

Long story short, how I picked was which legendary I thought looked cooler, so I went with Y :pac:

Cheers for the reply. The Y exclusives do look better so Ill get him that :)

Thanks mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Enough with yer video game talk, King Fernando is back!

David James is anyway, this time he's white with Blonde hair. What a crap keeper he is.
    Anyone else get Batman?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Went to see Ender's Game today.

Quite enjoyed it, but two things bugged me. One was the incredibly predictable "twist" near the end of the film.

The other was the horrid pacing; the movie was 2 hours and could have been 4. It should have been split up over two movies and actually given time to develop the characters. Instead, it rockets through what should be years in the space of a few minutes.

Anyone know if the books go into more detail about Ender's development?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Are the movies The Call (with David Otunga) and/or Spring Breakers (with Jeff Jarrett) any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Charisteas wrote: »
    Are the movies The Call (with David Otunga) and/or Spring Breakers (with Jeff Jarrett) any good?

You can get the ENTIRE PLOT of the Call from the trailer. There's no need to watch it afterwards. Otunga's in it for like 20 seconds. It's not a bad film, it's fine.

Spring Breakers is better, if you care about teen girls getting messed up and doing bad things, give it a go. Here's Jarrett's entire scene I edited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭cena

GTR63 wrote: »
    David James is anyway, this time he's white with Blonde hair. What a crap keeper he is.
    Anyone else get Batman?

I wanted to get the game. But I can wait till Christmas. I have been watching a guy on youtube playing it. Not sure if I want to watch anymore as it well be spoiling the game on me

cena wrote: »
    I wanted to get the game. But I can wait till Christmas. I have been watching a guy on youtube playing it. Not sure if I want to watch anymore as it well be spoiling the game on me

Is it BatmanArkhamVideos your watching it on, love the easter egg videos they do.
    Still can't get past Deathstroke since like Saturday up to that everything was simples(except the Killer Craic boss fight where I forgot to throw Batarangs).

Anyone else get Batman?

I have it but I've only installed it on the PC. Made the mistake of watching a review but it also braced me for that it's extremely similar to the previous entry.

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I have it but I've only installed it on the PC. Made the mistake of watching a review but it also braced me for that it's extremely similar to the previous entry.

That was to be expected, its like a son borrowing his dads car, no risks taken and don't go anywhere you shouldn't.
    Some of the Assassins are a bit er who is he? I know a bit about Batman based on the animated series and that but hadn't a clue who The Electrocutioner or even Deathstroke were.
    Would of preferred Scarface with the Ventriloquist or Man-Bat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

Finished main story of Batman last night it's fun as usual but nearly exactly the same as the last one almost play for play

Moved the Batman/Pokemon chat to this thread. I hope Hush is in this game. Although seeing it's a prequel, probably not. Looking forward to more detective stuff in AO, I think there's some real gameplay diversity to be had in that direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,244 ✭✭✭✭Penn

That was to be expected, its like a son borrowing his dads car, no risks taken and don't go anywhere you shouldn't.
    Some of the Assassins are a bit er who is he? I know a bit about Batman based on the animated series and that but hadn't a clue who The Electrocutioner or even Deathstroke were.
    Would of preferred Scarface with the Ventriloquist or Man-Bat

Yeah, with the amount of major Batman villians in AC, I was worried they'd have to resort to minor villians for this one. Deathstroke is a pretty major DC baddie/anti-hero though, just not as exclusive to Batman as the others which is why he wouldn't show up in the animated series or anything.

AO is a fairly disappointing game. More of the same really, yet isn't handled as well. Camera is fairly bad. Game suffers from a lot of lag. Predator encounters are a lot easier. New gadgets are overpowered. Story isn't as good. I platinumed the previous two, but won't be going for it in this one, and not just because of the multiplayer trophies.

Deathstroke has been a pretty major character in DC with his own comic, son and daughter in te Teen Titans comics, he was in the Teen Titans series and he's in Arrow as well.

The pretty big bugs in the pc version are annoying but I enjoyed the game. Played it all day yesterday until I finished the story mode and gonna go back now to do the side missions that aren't hindered by the bugs.

Speaking of Deathstroke, Arrow is fast becoming one of my favorite shows. Tonight's episode...
    OMG Ra's El Ghul was name dropped! So psyched...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

Arrow is bubblegum tv but it's good fun and the women in it don't hurt either

Got past Deathstroke finally, quite easy once I figured out the patterns AND updated my armor which I think helped. Would still dread it replaying the game mind.
    Not saying Deathstroke is a nobody but I do not recall any reference of him in previous Arkham games and there are a LOT of characters mentioned.

• Advertisement

Is it BatmanArkhamVideos your watching it on, love the easter egg videos they do.
    Still can't get past Deathstroke since like Saturday up to that everything was simples(except the Killer Craic boss fight where I forgot to throw Batarangs).

No it is a different channel all together

EdK wrote: »
    Arrow is bubblegum tv but it's good fun and the women in it don't hurt either

I like it. Women in it are stunning.

I debate the idea Arrow is "bubblegum", but there's certainly not massive layers...yet.

But I just love trying to spot all the references. Case and point,
    Mommy Queen's lawyer tonight was Jean Loring, who is The Atom's main love interest in the comics
    . Apparently
    The Flash
    is set to appear in Episode 5 as well, which I can't wait for, plus we got a glimpse of
    Deathstroke's
    origin tonight :)

I debate the idea Arrow is "bubblegum", but there's certainly not massive layers...yet.

But I just love trying to spot all the references. Case and point,
    Mommy Queen's lawyer tonight was Jean Loring, who is The Atom's main love interest in the comics
    . Apparently
    The Flash
    is set to appear in Episode 5 as well, which I can't wait for, plus we got a glimpse of
    Deathstroke's
    origin tonight :)

About your second spoiler
    I heard mention of a particle accelerator in the first episode of the season on the news just before the news of Ollie's return. Maybe the Flash Origin?
    And I think the season 1 finale kinda got rid of any notion of this being bubblegum tv when
    Everything went wrong and a main character were killed off

Nice catch in the first episode.

Mainly looking forward to seeing if they actually go the superpower route, since they've avoided it so much thus far...

I would do anything to protect Clementine. :D So psyched for that...

Sorry lads another Nintendo related question :o

I asked last week about Pokemon but this week its about the 2ds.

My nephew is getting this for his birthday and my sister got Mario 3D land with it.

Looking up reviews though they say that the 3d function is needed for some parts of the game.

Is it possible to play the game without 3D or would it be too hard for him?

Thanks for any help.

There are only little rooms in 3D Land that you enter to get more time in the stage or a medal that need the 3D perspective. I am sure you could get through it, though it may be a little headwrecking to do so.

I'd generally agree with those who say South Park had not been as good in recent seasons (although all animated comedies - except Archer - seem to get that these days even Bobs Burgers that is only starting it's 4th season atm) but I did really like the most recent episode and would recommend it.

Somehow the episodes these days just seem shorter. They are the same lenght time wise I know but the stories seem less developed unless they are 2 & 3 parters which seem more common these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,533 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Love/Hate finale on Sunday, will Nidgey be offed :P the show is getting remade for the US

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I wonder what that'll be like. US remakes can be very hit (like The Office or Shameless) or miss (IT Crowd and Skins).

Remake is and cast Idris Elba, Dominic West, Lance Reddick, Andre Royo and Wendell Pierce. Maybe have Aidan Gillen join later?

I have to start the latest series of Love/Hate yet

I only started watching Sons of Anarchy last season with my bro. Enjoying this season. How would you rank all of the seasons in order?

Just a random Seinfeld vid. Remembered I felt the same way about a jacket Christian wore once on Smackdown.

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I only started watching Sons of Anarchy last season with my bro. Enjoying this season. How would you rank all of the seasons in order?

Tough one, as one thing you can say about SOA is that it's fairly consistent in terms of quality. Season 3 is definitely the worst, though has the best season finale (last 20 minutes or so of that episode is f*cking mega TV). If I had to rank them, maybe... 4, 5, 1, 2, 3. This season is shaping up to be pretty great but I'll withhold judgement.

Penn wrote: »
    Tough one, as one thing you can say about SOA is that it's fairly consistent in terms of quality. Season 3 is definitely the worst, though has the best season finale (last 20 minutes or so of that episode is f*cking mega TV). If I had to rank them, maybe... 4, 5, 1, 2, 3. This season is shaping up to be pretty great but I'll withhold judgement.

3rd is the worst for sure 4th the best imo

Actually, I'd probably switch 5 and 1. So 4, 1, 5, 2, and 3. That being said, 1, 5 and 2 are pretty close.

Lads, how is House of Cards? Since I paid for Netflix for the month to watch The Hunger Games, may as well see about getting the most out of it :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Lads, how is House of Cards? Since I paid for Netflix for the month to watch The Hunger Games, may as well see about getting the most out of it :P

I really liked it. Spacey in particular is pretty fantastic.

It's brillant, a great return to form for Kevin Spacey , it feels like HBO show and Robin Wright is great as Lady Macbeth

didnt think as many others would like it but I really liked House of Cards, simply put if you have any interest in politicks and like Spacey you should like it, I def liked the show and look forward to another season

What a let down and anti climax finale for Love/Hate tonight

Anyone check out JJ Abrams new show Almost Human, quite enjoyable so far

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    What a let down and anti climax finale for Love/Hate tonight

Just started watching Season 1 for the first time (missed most of the hype not being in Ireland), accents etc aside it's hard to believe this is made by RTE, seems quality so far.

SHIELD has gotten a bit better but only in the way I thought it might ie watch it enough and the characters slowly start to get some depth.

I've been enjoying The Walking Dead again recently too. Haven't watched the newest episode yet (will later) but I've liked how they have slowed this season down a bit and had a more simplistic yet interesting storyline, even though
    he is back now a lot of the stuff with the Governor last season was a little OTT for me

Ugh, just read a spoiler for Arrow which aired in America but I won't see till Monday. Wish I had waited cause knowing that
    John Barrowman is back
    would have sent me jumping round the room with glee :D

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Anyone check out JJ Abrams new show Almost Human, quite enjoyable so far

First episode watched. I enjoyed it as well. Judge and Doctor Urban is pretty good in it. Himself and Michael Ealy seem to work well together
    Ugh, just read a spoiler for Arrow which aired in America but I won't see till Monday. Wish I had waited cause knowing that
    John Barrowman is back
    would have sent me jumping round the room with glee :D

Haven't watched yet but maybe
    he's in the flashbacks in some way

I still think Sleepy hollow is the best new series. And on another note, this week's Person of Interest was brilliant.

I've dropped a load of shows recently and the only procedural I kept was The Mentalist simply because it's wrapping up the RJ story.

On a sidenote, I just found out today that the new series of Mysterious Cities of Gold is showing daily on Kix! How could I not be informed of this. Where was the major advertising campaign?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Haven't watched yet but maybe
    he's in the flashbacks in some way

Nope. :D The word used was
    resurrected

Nope. :D The word used was
    resurrected

That's the last spoiler I highlight until i watch. So it could be
    Lazarus Pit? Ra's Al Merlyn. though Jack is immortal anyway so there's that

• Advertisement