Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
25-06-2019, 22:11   #1
Buzwaldo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 621
Storage Heating or Gas

Trying to buy a 2 bedroom apartment in Dublin, have done a bit of looking & narrowed it down to a few live contenders to place an offer on. One has natural gas boiler & radiators, , another has electric storage heating and dual rate electricity.
I'm not mad on storage heaters, but otherwise it's a nice apartment and area (as is the one with gas heating).
Question is, how much weight (money) if any, should I factor for the difference in heating systems, all else being equal?. Or a I worrying about very little?
Thanks in advance.
Buzwaldo is offline  
Advertisement
25-06-2019, 22:22   #2
raxy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 230
If both apartments are equal I'd say gas. I had storage heaters in an apartment I rented & hated them. The apartment would be too hot during the day, while id be in work, but by night time would be getting cold. You also can't just turn them on if you get a cold day.
I would also think gas would be the cheaper option to run. My gas use in a 3 bed house for the year wouldn't cover a month with storage heating in a 2 bed apartment
raxy is offline  
(2) thanks from:
25-06-2019, 23:05   #3
Del2005
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 14,613
If the only difference is gas or storage I'd go with gas. As said storage is too hot during the day, I had 30C in my apartment 1 day, and too cold at night, still had to use the blow heater part later on after 30C.

Even checking the weather forecast is no good as they always give the worse option so will promise rain/cloudy and it could be a clear bright sunny day.
Del2005 is offline  
25-06-2019, 23:35   #4
ercork
Registered User
 
ercork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 78
I would agree. Storage heaters offer much less control of temperature than gas and also cost a fair bit more to operate. Also if you're the sort of person who is out in the day time and is mostly home evenings and weekends they are very wasteful.

However If you end up buying the storage heater apartment it wouldn't be the end of the world. You could replace the storage heaters with either on demand heaters or an air to air heat pump.
ercork is offline  
26-06-2019, 03:16   #5
Del2005
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 14,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by ercork View Post
I would agree. Storage heaters offer much less control of temperature than gas and also cost a fair bit more to operate. Also if you're the sort of person who is out in the day time and is mostly home evenings and weekends they are very wasteful.

However If you end up buying the storage heater apartment it wouldn't be the end of the world. You could replace the storage heaters with either on demand heaters or an air to air heat pump.
I can't see many management companies allowing you to mount that on their walls.
Del2005 is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
26-06-2019, 03:24   #6
NSAman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del2005 View Post
I can't see many management companies allowing you to mount that on their walls.
There are no external heat pump air conditioners/heat pumps nowadays....

Personally, Gas is much nicer...I agree with everyone else
NSAman is offline  
26-06-2019, 11:36   #7
Askthe EA
Registered User
 
Askthe EA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 718
Gas. All day long.
Askthe EA is offline  
Thanks from:
26-06-2019, 14:23   #8
ercork
Registered User
 
ercork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del2005 View Post
I can't see many management companies allowing you to mount that on their walls.
Yeah, you would probably need a bit of balcony space for one.
ercork is offline  
26-06-2019, 14:27   #9
shanec1928
Registered User
 
shanec1928's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by ercork View Post
Yeah, you would probably need a bit of balcony space for one.
of which usually belongs to the management company and not you..
shanec1928 is offline  
Advertisement
26-06-2019, 14:46   #10
SozBbz
Registered User
 
SozBbz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 759
I have storage heating. Its annoying but there are more modern options and its possible you may be able to improve upon whats there if you've a bit to spend.

Gas is generally regarded as preferable however as we move away from fossil fuels, I fully expect advancements in electric heating solutions. Relatively speaking, they may become cheaper when compared to gas than the pricing at the moment.
SozBbz is offline  
26-06-2019, 15:00   #11
bikeman1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 576
Having lived in an apartment with storage heaters for over 3 years and one very cold winter (2010), I vowed never to live in a place with electric storage heaters again. Massive bills, crap heat, hard to control heat and then a requirement to supplement with a fire and or electric plug in heaters.

If I saw a place with them when I was viewing, I would nearly discount the place straight away. My place has a gas central heating system and it barely needs to be on and the place is warm.
bikeman1 is offline  
Thanks from:
26-06-2019, 15:04   #12
o1s1n
Registered User
 
o1s1n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 28,277
I have a similar apartment with storage heaters, they are so bad I don't use them anymore and have an electric stove and a few panel heaters instead. The storage heaters are just a waste of time.
o1s1n is offline  
26-06-2019, 15:09   #13
AlmightyCushion
Moderator
 
AlmightyCushion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 28,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeman1 View Post
Having lived in an apartment with storage heaters for over 3 years and one very cold winter (2010), I vowed never to live in a place with electric storage heaters again. Massive bills, crap heat, hard to control heat and then a requirement to supplement with a fire and or electric plug in heaters.

If I saw a place with them when I was viewing, I would nearly discount the place straight away. My place has a gas central heating system and it barely needs to be on and the place is warm.
In fairness, that is probably because the place you are living now is better insulated and more airtight than the place with storage heaters.

I would be very wary of any place with storage heaters but if I could be satisfied it was well insulated and relatively air tight I would consider it.
AlmightyCushion is offline  
26-06-2019, 15:14   #14
cgcsb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,667
Gas. If you want to go fancy you can even install underfloor gas fired heating. Storage heaters are a cold and stressful life. Still paying the electricity bills from when I used to have them.
cgcsb is offline  
26-06-2019, 16:18   #15
ercork
Registered User
 
ercork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanec1928 View Post
of which usually belongs to the management company and not you..
Do you think a management company would object to one of them on a balcony?
ercork is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet