Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Struggling with pets death

Options
  • 24-06-2019 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all,

Long time reader here. I suppose I’m just looking to vent a little.

My family have had a dog since I was 10 years of age...the guy was like part of the family.

He was 15 last November and had a few health issues, mobility was severely reduced in the last few years because of arthritis but he was still a happy and playful guy.

Last week I was away on holidays and unknown to me he had a minor stroke. The following days things went from bad to worse and it was decided that the best thing to do was to end his suffering and put him down.

My family didn’t tell me because I was away and they didn’t want to upset my holiday.

The part that kills me most is that no one was with him when he was put to sleep (my mother or father wouldn’t have been able to watch it but I really would have wanted to be there to pet his head and tell him how much I loved him). I can’t get it out of my head and it makes me incredibly sad to think that he was alone and scared wondering why we abandoned him.

I’m really sorry for this negative and depressing post. I suppose I just needed to let it out :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭KingJeremy

So so sorry for your loss. Dogs are amazing animals & it sounds like you gave him a very 15 happy years and I have no doubt he knew how much he was loved, but I understand your pain in not being there with him during his last moments. Try to take some comfort in the fact that vets are incredibly in-tune with animals and he/she would have made your pets passing as comfortable and easy as possible.

Mind yourself and try not to be too hard on your parents as I’m sure it’s a very upsetting time for them also

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭JennyZ

I'm so sorry for your loss. It is hard when a pet dies but please do not get caught up thinking "he was alone and scared wondering why we abandoned him", he was ill, I'm no dog expert but had them all my life, dogs are so faithful he would have known he wasn't abandoned by a loving family and sounds like you guys gave him the best life so be proud of yourselves for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭eggerb

Very sorry to hear of the loss of your pet. Don't overthink his final moments too much. We had a family pet put down recently and I was very impressed with how caring the vet was to the poor animal in it's final days and hours. Vets go into veterinary medicine because they love animals - those that practice with small animals probably even more so. Try to lose the regrets - you gave your dog a great life and home. If it continues to upset you, consider giving the vet a call and ask how it all went. S/he'll probably explain how the initial sedative dose was applied whilst the vet did exactly what you would have done if you were there. He wasn't alone. He was with somebody whose life vocation is to the care of animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

I am nearly in tears reading this post.

You and your family loved your dog in life and you didnt let him suffer in the end.

Just think of the good times you had with your dog and dont let the negative thoughts ruin that

Our dog is 8 and although no health worries I am dreading the day when her time comes

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭heretothere

The loss of a pet is awful. I had to put down my loved dog 2 years ago. I did get to be with him, but I've no doubt if I wasn't able for it the vet would have held him. So I'm sure your friend wasn't alone and it really is very quick he looked like he was just going to sleep. Sorry for your loss x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

(((HUGS)))

i lost my dog last autumn and my cat the same weekend and it hurts like nothing else. Both were with me to the end.. Please know thoughts and prayers from here.. west mayo offshore island

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jerryo

Thanks for all the replies. They’re very much appreciated and very helpful

I knew this day was coming eventually, he was old and had other issues, that part doesn’t make me sad...I know he had a very happy life and he in turn made our lives so much brighter.

I just can’t stop thinking about his final few moments when he was frantically looking for us and wondering why we had left him there alone.

I would give anything to have been there with him to comfort him one last time. I hope he wasn’t too scared

jerryo wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies. They’re very much appreciated and very helpful

I knew this day was coming eventually, he was old and had other issues, that part doesn’t make me sad...I know he had a very happy life and he in turn made our lives so much brighter.

I just can’t stop thinking about his final few moments when he was frantically looking for us and wondering why we had left him there alone.

I would give anything to have been there with him to comfort him one last time. I hope he wasn’t too scared

Try to let it go? You did the best you could and as others have said, the vet and his nurse were there for him.
    always there are these regrets but no hanging on to them?

Graces7 wrote: »
    Try to let it go? You did the best you could and as others have said, the vet and his nurse were there for him.

Yea I know. I just hope he wasn’t too scared in his last moments.

Graces7 wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭eggerb

jerryo wrote: »

Please take it he wasn't scared. He didn't know it was his final moments. He was most likely so poorly he was very far removed from his usual self. The vet would, absolutely, have comforted him. My vet went off to get a blanket before the needles were even produced. I don't believe, for one minute, there's a vet in the country involved in a small animal practice that would not have comforted a loved pet that was about to be euthanised. Remember him for the joy he was and the years of joy he gave.

OP do you have a particularly wonderful happy memory of him?

My dog was a crazy mix of bassett and jack russell .. always on the go.When we were fairly new here, and still exploring, she raced ahead of me down the lane and then , unlike her, stopped at the entrance to the entry of a side boreen we had not been down. She was asking permission!

When I called, OK< go! she raced off, bassett ears flapping, the epitome of health and doggy joy, all the way to the shore

I stood there and laughed.

and when I get hard thoughts re her dying, I replace them with that day .

try?

eggerb wrote: »
    Please take it he wasn't scared. He didn't know it was his final moments. He was most likely so poorly he was very far removed from his usual self. The vet would, absolutely, have comforted him. My vet went off to get a blanket before the needles were even produced. I don't believe, for one minute, there's a vet in the country involved in a small animal practice that would not have comforted a loved pet that was about to be euthanised. Remember him for the joy he was and the years of joy he gave.

he will just have seen it as an ordinary vet visit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

<snip>

Don't post in this thread again.
    Carded for trolling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

his horrible arthritic pain is now over and you must live with your guilt but it will pass meanwhile he is at peace & pain free and that s more important

OP; how are you?

Advertisement