Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Duty free Cork airport?

• 24-06-2019 10:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭

I'm off to the Uk tomorow and a buddy asked if I could pick up a bottle of whiskey for him. I looked up the duty free price online and it's more expensive than my local offie. How does that make sense?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Because you're still paying Irish tax on it, as you are travelling within the EU and the shop is based on Cork - I would imagine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,536 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Captive audience, small airport, different offers. Black Bush is normally dearer in every duty free, even when actually not paying duty, than on offer in O'Briens; but you can get Johnny Walker Black for buttons sometimes, duty paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,490 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I'm off to the Uk tomorow and a buddy asked if I could pick up a bottle of whiskey for him.

Has your UK buddie travelled anywhere in the past 20 years? There's no duty-free between UK and Ireland and as excise (on booze) and VAT (on everything) are lower in the UK, he will be able to buy that bottle cheaper in his local Tesco.

Unless he's looking for Paddy or some other Irish brand that may not be readily available over there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Leaving aside that there has been no duty free shopping between EU airports for 20 years, i wouldnt imagine the Irish airports have the economies of scale to buy enough product to match the prices of any of the big supermarkets when it comes to booze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,536 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Excise is actually lower on a few specific classes in Ireland (high ABV beer) but not whiskey - we're charged so much more

ARI who run the duty free in Dublin and Cork is a massive purchaser of spirits for what are busy airports here and across the globe - they are one of the companies that runs duty frees anywhere they can get the contract like Dufry and World. They have the volume but they have no competition when you're airside.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

coylemj wrote: »
    Unless he's looking for Paddy or some other Irish brand that may not be readily available over there?

Naaa, Paddy freely available and cheaper in Tescos

Advertisement