Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday September - Suggestions?

Options
  • 24-06-2019 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭

Hi there, I'm wondering if anyone on this forum will have any suggestions for me. Myself and my girlfriend (mid 20s) are planning on going away for a week to ten days around mid/late September. Generally we always seem to go for city breaks but we have been to most of the major European cities now and were thinking about more of a sun holiday type place.

Last year we went to Dubrovnik and traveled into Mostar and it was a great holiday, however we found Dubrovnik a bit over priced for the quality of food (not seafood eaters!) and probably would have got bored of Dubrovnik itself had it not been for all of the day trips you can do. We loved going to Mostar for two days as it was somewhere so different to anywhere we had been before.

We had been thinking about maybe the Amalfi coast (is it a bit expensive?) or some Greek Islands (wouldn't have a clue which ones!) but completely open to ideas on other places. A day trip or some sites during the day followed by a nice meal and a couple of drinks would be ideally what we're looking for, so just don't want to go anywhere that is just a beach resort and nothing else (not sure what the above places are like in that regard).

Anyone have any suggestions or have they gone anywhere that fits this bill recently themselves? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Zante or Santorini
    Maldives
    Bol (Brac Island, Croatia)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Zante or Santorini
    Maldives
    Bol (Brac Island, Croatia)

Cheers will look into Zante some more. Maldives probably a bit expensive and was in Croatia last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

Lake Garda?Great food, beautiful scenery, and lots of possibilities for interesting day trips. We combined it with two nights in Verona at the start, but you could include Venice or Milan either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭GRACKEA

I recommend Sicily that time of year. If you drive, rent a car and in 10 days you could cover all the hotspots while also getting to relax at wherever you're based. I stayed in Syracusa. If you're into food, wine, and history it's a goldmine :)

Cheers will look into Zante some more. Maldives probably a bit expensive and was in Croatia last year.

Forget Maldives, weather is crap in September

• Advertisement

Villa plus have a great selection of villas even for couples in some great locations

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Lake Garda?Great food, beautiful scenery, and lots of possibilities for interesting day trips. We combined it with two nights in Verona at the start, but you could include Venice or Milan either.

Yep that is definitely somewhere we would be interested in, possibly with Verona/Venice also. Anywhere along Lake Garda you would recommend staying? Is Verona a nice city? Have never heard much about it.
    GRACKEA wrote: »
    I recommend Sicily that time of year. If you drive, rent a car and in 10 days you could cover all the hotspots while also getting to relax at wherever you're based. I stayed in Syracusa. If you're into food, wine, and history it's a goldmine :)

Those things sound up our street too :) Only off putting thing would be driving abroad, we both drive here but have never driven abroad, when we were in Italy previously the drivers felt crazy!! Are they as bad in Sicily?

Morocco is also somewhere that might interest us but it would be extremely different to anywhere we have ever gone before and worried it would be a bit too different! If anyone had any advice on that either it would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭GRACKEA

Yep that is definitely somewhere we would be interested in, possibly with Verona/Venice also. Anywhere along Lake Garda you would recommend staying? Is Verona a nice city? Have never heard much about it.

Those things sound up our street too :) Only off putting thing would be driving abroad, we both drive here but have never driven abroad, when we were in Italy previously the drivers felt crazy!! Are they as bad in Sicily?

Morocco is also somewhere that might interest us but it would be extremely different to anywhere we have ever gone before and worried it would be a bit too different! If anyone had any advice on that either it would be great.

Yes, Sicilian drivers are very bad and aggressive. It was almost as it everybody and nobody had the right of way at any time simultaneously. And people parked anywhere, including in the middle of roads with no warning. We just planted one hand on the horn the whole time and they probably thought we were local haha

On Morocco, I haven't been but I plan to and have been doing research. There are resorty areas that wouldn't be too different from other sun holidays such as Agadir where you could spend most of the trip then just do a couple of nights bookending the trip in the chaos of Marrakesh and or Casablanca.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭cutymonalisa

Greek islands, we went mid-Sept last year and spent 5 nights in Naxos and ferry over to Santorini for 3 nights. Fantastic trip and planning to return to Naxos this Sept - accommodation/food there is very reasonable and it’s a beautiful island. Flew ex Dublin with Aegean. Such a memorable holiday and weather was perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

We stayed in Riva del Garda at the northern end of the lake.Its a beautiful location,lots of restaurants but quiet enough nightlife-wise.Wherever you stay on the lake,there is a good ferry service connecting the various towns.

Verona is nice but a day there would probably be enough.What makes it special is the opera in the Roman amphitheatre if you're there while it's on, it's well worth seeing even if opera isn't your thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Pudner7

I second Santorini and hop a ferry to another island. Cyprus is fab too but hot in September. Lots to see and do there. I especially love the west coast. Driving over there was easy too.

Advertisement