Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Raspberry Pi 4 Released

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

excellent news. I wonder do add ons like the pi2jamma adapter still work

• Registered Users Posts: 10,909 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Looking forward to seeing the usual suspects on YouTube put it through its retro paces. Eta Prime etc. and more general reviews like from Explaining Computers (with his awesome haircut). I'll buy at least one, and probably more. 4gb is oos in the usual online shops.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Mr E wrote: »
    I wonder what it will do for tougher emulation?

It will, I'd say smooth N64 (with the new dynarec in place) is perhaps possible, and half decent PS1 emulation too. Still don't think we'll see GC or Dreamcast, but who knows. x265 hardware support is nice too for Kodi, but no mention of HDR playback yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Yay another one for the drawer.

Inviere wrote: »
    x265 hardware support is nice too for Kodi, but no mention of HDR playback yet...
    The harware capability for HDR decode and output is there but it'll take a while to get it working.
    https://libreelec.tv/2019/06/libreelec-9-2-alpha1-rpi4b/
    The 4B hardware is HDR capable, but software support has a dependency on the new Linux kernel frameworks merged by Intel developers (with help from Team LibreELEC/Kodi) in Linux 5.2 and a kernel bump will be needed to use them. Once the initial excitement and activity from the 4B launch calms down, serious work on HDR and transitioning Raspberry Pi over to the new GBM/V4L2 video pipeline can start.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Hopefully we will see updates to the Pi Zero too. The 4 gigs of ram version of the Pi 4 is amazing. Ill be ordering straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Given the two hdmi outs, I wonder how long it'll be till we see some mad scientist making their own DS style handheld...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Two HDMI outputs might be handy for the likes of a HyperPin setup (or something that would run on a flavor of Linux), or a Nintendo 'Punch-Out!!' setup :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Ordered a 4GB one from shop.pimoroni.com on Wednesday when I got a stock alert. Although my order has been stuck at preparing to dispatch since Thursday morning. I suspect they may have over allocated their stock. A bit disappointed as I was looking forward to messing about with it this weekend. Hopefully get it at some point next week.

I assume, I can just throw in my existing retropie SD card from my Pie 3b and off I pop?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭HeartOfTheCity

TinCool wrote: »
    Ordered a 4GB one from shop.pimoroni.com on Wednesday when I got a stock alert. Although my order has been stuck at preparing to dispatch since Thursday morning. I suspect they may have over allocated their stock. A bit disappointed as I was looking forward to messing about with it this weekend. Hopefully get it at some point next week.

I assume, I can just throw in my existing retropie SD card from my Pie 3b and off I pop?

From what I've read, nope, you won't be able to. Seems the Retropie team will need to rework a few things before Retropie is fully compatible with the RPi4.

• Advertisement

From what I've read, nope, you won't be able to. Seems the Retropie team will need to rework a few things before Retropie is fully compatible with the RPi4.

Drag. I'll keep an eye out for a future release then. PITA, another year of my life spent importing and reconfiguring :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Drag. I'll keep an eye out for a future release then. PITA, another year of my life spent importing and reconfiguring :(

Sure what else would you be doing with Retropie? Playing games? :D

I believe you just have to update Retropie on your existing system first, and once you've done that you can transfer the SD card over.

Might be wrong, that's how it worked on Raspbian and some other OSs when Pi3 came out.

However that update could be weeks or even months away.

I believe you just have to update Retropie on your existing system first, and once you've done that you can transfer the SD card over.

Might be wrong, that's how it worked on Raspbian and some other OSs when Pi3 came out.

However that update could be weeks or even months away.

I think the issue is that Retropie is built on Raspbian OS. The older version of Raspbian isn't compatible with RPi4, which is why 'Raspbian Buster' has been released at launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

I read somewhere that RetroPie is now available for the Pi 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

If it is, they're hiding their light under a bushel. There's no sign of it on the website.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Doge wrote: »
    I read somewhere that RetroPie is now available for the Pi 4.

Read that somewhere myself.
    I suppose it doesn't mean anything is optimised, just that it now runs.

What would be the easiest way to get my build, and all my settings and "files" updated to the new Pi4?
    Or would I be better waiting to upgrade in a little while?

I think the issue is that Retropie is built on Raspbian OS. The older version of Raspbian isn't compatible with RPi4, which is why 'Raspbian Buster' has been released at launch.
    Yes but if you were running an older version of Raspbian on a PI3, you just rpi-update and once it's done you can pop your existing SD card into a Pi4.

So I expect it will be the same with Retropie, once they have released a compatible update.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I really like my 3 B+ and like the look of this but it is too early to get it, Ill wait until more work is done and see if a proper cooling solution is released.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

Slightly off topic question but I'll ask here anyway as I'm guessing it's the right target audience: I have a pi 3b running with an SD card with an image of retropie which has C64 and amiga games.

I'd like to play some arcade games (I have a PS3 fight stick which works with it) and I was wondering what the best way to do that is. If anyone has any recommendations or links for an image file that would be great (PM me if that's not allowed here). My microSD card is 32gb, so ideally something that would fit on that (I have a 64gb as well if that's a real deal breaker).

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

I really like my 3 B+ and like the look of this but it is too early to get it, Ill wait until more work is done and see if a proper cooling solution is released.
    That's my take with any RPi release. Let them sort the issues first.

It seems like they didn't implement USB-C properly, they're getting some flak over that. It works fine with the official charger but not at all with some (spec compliant) other ones. So i'd expect a board revision at some stage.

Does seem to be running quite hot also. They've been pushing out new firmwares to try and reduce the heat.

rickyjb wrote: »
    Slightly off topic question but I'll ask here anyway as I'm guessing it's the right target audience: I have a pi 3b running with an SD card with an image of retropie which has C64 and amiga games.

I'd like to play some arcade games (I have a PS3 fight stick which works with it) and I was wondering what the best way to do that is. If anyone has any recommendations or links for an image file that would be great (PM me if that's not allowed here). My microSD card is 32gb, so ideally something that would fit on that (I have a 64gb as well if that's a real deal breaker).

Thanks in advance.

Retropie is still the best way to do that, and handles the arcade games in pretty much the same manner as your C64/Amiga games

My current retropie setup uses a RP 3B. Chase HQ and Robocop run absolute pants in mame. Is this just the way it is or have I misconfigured something? 2800 posts? Only took 21 years haha

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,808 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

My current retropie setup uses a RP 3B. Chase HQ and Robocop run absolute pants in mame. Is this just the way it is or have I misconfigured something? 2800 posts? Only took 21 years haha

Mame needs a lot more horsepower than most other emulators and some boards aren't emulated as efficiently.

Are there different versions of mame available to you on Retropie?
    Different versions will have different compatibility so it's certainly worth trying out troublesome roms in mame2000, 2003 etc.
    You'll need the correct romset for whatever version of mame you're using though, so be aware of that.

Advertisement