Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tin Cup moment

Options
  • 21-06-2019 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

I see lots of news outlets reporting that Clement Berardo was DQ'd from the Challenge Tour event yesterday for running out of golf balls on the 16th hole.

I am fairly sure I know the answer but can anybody confirm that there is no such rule?
    I suspect he had various ways to complete his round (all with a penalty) but just decided to walk in as he was 10 over par.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,073 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

paulos53 wrote: »
    I see lots of news outlets reporting that Clement Berardo was DQ'd from the Challenge Tour event yesterday for running out of golf balls on the 16th hole.

I am fairly sure I know the answer but can anybody confirm that there is no such rule?
    I suspect he had various ways to complete his round (all with a penalty) but just decided to walk in as he was 10 over par.

They have a one ball rule so if there was no one with the same ball as him nearby (you can't unduly delay play) he was pretty much done.

Nearly happened to Tiger once, playing last ball in the bag over water, Williams mentions it in some interviews I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭paulos53

I considered that but somebody else could go and get the correct golf balls for them. Worst case then is a penalty for delaying play.

He would also have the option of breaking the "One Ball" rule and accepting the penalty strokes that come with that

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭paulos53

[HTML][/HTML]
    Exactly wrote: »

That article confirms my last post

"Had Woods run out of golf balls, he faced the prospect of a 2-shot penalty -- for violating the one-ball rule if he used a fellow competitors' ball; or for "undue delay'' if Williams or someone in Woods' group needed time to find him one. (At the time, Woods was playing a prototype Nike ball that would not have been available for purchase in the pro shop.)"

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

Should've used that 7 iron..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭one man clappin

I was playing last week and lost a Taylormade ball, so went to the well and picked out a Callaway chrome soft. I declared my ball to the other men I was playing with and one of them said if they were very strict I could not play with the Callaway. The make and model of the ball I start the round with has to be the same? Is this true as i had never heard that one before.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

I was playing last week and lost a Taylormade ball, so went to the well and picked out a Callaway chrome soft. I declared my ball to the other men I was playing with and one of them said if they were very strict I could not play with the Callaway. The make and model of the ball I start the round with has to be the same? Is this true as i had never heard that one before.

Unless you were playing in a top level am comp you can play what you like (within the rules of course) once you declared the ball you were putting into play,

• Registered Users Posts: 27,073 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Unless you were playing in a top level am comp you can play what you like (within the rules of course) once you declared the ball you were putting into play,
    I don't even think any of the GUI comps use the one ball rule. Can't see any evidence of it anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

GreeBo wrote: »
    I don't even think any of the GUI comps use the one ball rule. Can't see any evidence of it anywhere.

Yeah, I thought it was only pros myself, but certainly it wouldn't be the case for the poster who raised the question, who I'm assuming was playing a standard club comp

• Registered Users Posts: 15,841 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

When you come across smart arses like this on the course simply ask them to point to the exact rule they are referring to.

• Advertisement
Advertisement