Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alcohol on ferry

• 21-06-2019 8:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

Can you take alcohol in your car to France (not for consumption on the ferry)?
    Like a crate of beer?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Yes

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Possibly the shortest thread ever in this forum :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Ponster wrote: »
    Possibly the shortest thread ever in this forum :)

Crying laughing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

The big question is "which alcohol?" if Budweiser then no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,271 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

And for coming back, these are your limits, if your boot can fit it :)

* Spirits (for example whiskey, vodka and gin) - 10 litres
    * Wine (of which only 60 litres can be sparkling ) - 90 litres
    * Beer - 110 litres

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_to_ireland/customs_regulations_for_travellers.html

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

I wonder how they originally came up with those figures? Did they fill a transit with as much as possible and see what fit? 110 1L bottles of beer takes up a bit of space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,588 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I wonder how they originally came up with those figures? Did they fill a transit with as much as possible and see what fit? 110 1L bottles of beer takes up a bit of space.

Its not based on physical space. Its a guess at what could be personal use vs. commercially viable to be selling on the sly.

The regulation is actually that it has to be for personal use; that includes giving it away as presents/use at a wedding/whatever. Those "limits" are the ones which Revenue are not going to question pesonal use.

I've had a bit more than 10l of spirits in the car from the UK before, and if stopped I would have invited them to come to my house and take a look at my drinks cabinet for proof that it was for personal use. Common sense applies if going above - 2000 smokes for a very heavy smoker can probably be justified. 20000 cannot.

For the OP - basically everything alcoholic is much cheaper in France, why would you bring anything?

That is an interesting question... how many bottles of beer can you fit in a transit van, without overloading the suspension :)

The spirits allowance of 10 litres wouldn't take up much space at all.

I wonder if the customs officials just count 'wine' type bottles or actually bother to check for table wine versus sparkling versus sherry\port\vermouth allowances.

L1011 wrote: »
    The regulation is actually that it has to be for personal use; that includes giving it away as presents/use at a wedding/whatever. Those "limits" are the ones which Revenue are not going to question personal use.

Are you able to use all allowances at same time, e.g. the spirits and the wine and the beer? Or is it one or the other. Seems to favour the 'catholic' drinker rather than someone who just drinks spirits or beer.

For the OP - basically everything alcoholic is much cheaper in France, why would you bring anything?

I guessed that they were going to visit friends or something. Though if it's on sale in France then most Irish alcohol will be cheaper there. I had years of friends visiting me bringing me bottles of whiskey only to find that it was less expensive in my local supermarket :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

Even the posh craft beers?:)

redmgar wrote: »
    Even the posh craft beers?:)

They didn't exist when I was in France. :) That's all that I can think that it might be but either way as Ireland has the 2nd highest excise tax in Europe (1000% higher than Germany!) it'll always be cheaper elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,495 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

redmgar wrote: »
    Can you take alcohol in your car to France (not for consumption on the ferry)?
    Like a crate of beer?

Unless you're smuggling live animals, nobody from the ferry company cares what's in your boot. And when you land in France, it's very unlikley that the local cops or customs will care either. If you have any engagement with officialdom in France, it will involved pulling the car over to one side and showing someone your passports. Which will take no more than a couple of minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Why would you bring alcohol to France? It's far cheaper over there.

gandalf wrote: »
    Why would bring alcohol to France? It's far cheaper over there.

Might want to bring over sth Irish you cant get over there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I didn't find the craft beer cheaper in France than here. Most of it bottle conditioned.

You can get cheap (and strong) non-craft blondes though. 750ml for a couple of euro.

Advertisement