Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acronym question for pharmacists

Options
  • 24-05-2019 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

Hi,

Bit of a random question, but was wondering if any pharmacists could explain what "Cde Dma" and "ATCLVL5" stand for?

They're codes for medications and device supplies but I can't find what they actually mean.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

A DMA code is a five digit number assigned to a particular pack size and strength on a drug by the PCRS that we put on the prescriptions we submit for payment, so that they know what we've supplied and what to pay us for.

Could that be what you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭RoamingDoc

Thank you, that makes sense.

I got the acronyms off of the approved medications list for LTI schemes.

Sounds like they're finance codes so and not really used for ordering in specific items?

PM me with context and I might be able to help more.

RoamingDoc wrote: »

Sounds like they're finance codes so and not really used for ordering in specific items?

No, you don't need them, I'd say.

The first because you're not claiming payment for medications.

The second because it's just a code that identifies a particular medication in an internationally consistent manner. You're not expected to know them (nor am I) nor to use them on prescriptions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

RoamingDoc wrote: »

PCRS do love their acronyms don’t they? Anything to make it even more difficult to figure out what is approved under at least a dozen different schemes for supplying medicines.
    There has to be a simpler way.

echo beach wrote: »
    ... under at least a dozen different schemes for supplying medicines.
    There has to be a simpler way.

Last time I counted, I came up with 15 different schemes for different classes of patient, and all with their own set of rules about what's covered for whom and under which particular circumstances.

There is, indeed, a simpler way.

The UK has one single scheme. It's called the NHS. Everyone is entitled to avail of it, and medications are either covered or they're not. That's it.

Advertisement