Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

22-08-2018, 11:52   #16
siblers

Is there enough being done to plant native Irish trees or to encourage the planting of native Irish trees? When driving up and down this country you see big forests that have been planted in recent years and they all seem to contain foreign types of tree
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
22-08-2018, 11:55   #17
TheBully

Iv got 99 trees...... but a birch ain’t one.

If you could only ever look at one species of tree for the rest of your days what would it be?
22-08-2018, 11:57   #18
Reati

Not so much a forestry question but Do you think the planning laws need to be updated to force widespread planting in around towns boundaries and the such. Driving past places on the N11 during the day and towns standing out like a sore thumb yet in the States where I travel for work the have built into the forest and it's very much a part of landscape of the towns. Why is there no love for solid planting? Is it a cost thing? Even a nearby to me housing estate that went up they torn down all the boundary trees and put up horrible concrete panels. I don't get it

Second, what's the best trees for screening all a border. I built last year and planned 100s of bareroots, mainly native trees and Griselinia (though many didn't make it through the snow and drought).
22-08-2018, 12:01   #19
BarryD2

Two questions:

In France, Germany, Belgium etc., you see a different type of forest management. It's as if the forest is managed over decades and centuries even. They seem to thin and clear fell smaller plots at a time, so the overall effect is more like a patchwork. In Ireland, we seem to have more of a slash and burn type of management. A plantation is established, there is thinning but then the whole lot is often just cleared and replanted. This has a much greater impact on the landscape, environment and wildlife etc., and usually not a good one. Can the 'European' model be used in Ireland and/or why not?

Would you plant poor land like blanket bog, for the sake of grants?
(4) thanks from:
22-08-2018, 12:06   #20
I'm a Forest Manager, AMA
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD2
In France, Germany, Belgium etc., you see a different type of forest management. It's as if the forest is managed over decades and centuries even. They seem to thin and clear fell smaller plots at a time, so the overall effect is more like a patchwork. In Ireland, we seem to have more of a slash and burn type of management. A plantation is established, there is thinning but then the whole lot is often just cleared and replanted. This has a much greater impact on the landscape, environment and wildlife etc., and usually not a good one. Can the 'European' model be used in Ireland and/or why not?

because the growth rates for comercial timber in ireland is much better than in Europe, in fact the fastest growing forests in Europe are in ireland
Advertisement
22-08-2018, 12:07   #21
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD2
Would you plant conifers on poor land like blanket bog, for the sake of grants?

no the Forest service will not allow planting on bogs as the trees will not thrive there
(2) thanks from:
22-08-2018, 12:09   #22
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBully
If you could only ever look at one species of tree for the rest of your days what would it be?

Italian Alder is a lovely tree but the money is in spruce forests
22-08-2018, 12:11   #23
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganmo
has this years crazy weather had any impact on the forestry sector?

newly established forest had a serious mortality rate with new saplings due to the extended drought and will have to be replaced this autumn
22-08-2018, 12:12   #24
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbysback
Are three trees really considered to be a forest?
A forest can be as small as you like but I wouldn't consider it commercially viable though !
Advertisement
22-08-2018, 12:21   #25
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mech1
Are Grey Squirrel numbers doing harm and would i get permission to hunt them with a air rifle?
I personally hunt them with an air rifle your welcome to join me ! you can certainly lease the shooting rights on the land if there is no deer pressent they go for cheap !
(2) thanks from:
22-08-2018, 12:28   #26
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by siblers
Is there enough being done to plant native Irish trees or to encourage the planting of native Irish trees? When driving up and down this country you see big forests that have been planted in recent years and they all seem to contain foreign types of tree

there is a scheme called the native woodland establishment grant which grant aides there establishment but there is little scope of comercial timber coming from these woods in your lifetime, at the end of the day it is land owners who commit their land to forestry and by in large they will not do so if it does not make economic sense, the government would need to do more in this regard IMO
22-08-2018, 12:44   #27
pajosjunkbox

Hi. I've planted about 1500 trees around my house in recent years. I plan to plant a few more trees this Autumn and replacing some of the ones I planted last year as they have died due to this summers weather. What trees would you recommend ? So far I have planted ..

Scott's pine
Silver birch
Rowan
Alder
Larch
Oak
beech
Whitethorn
Holly
22-08-2018, 12:47   #28
Igotadose

What risks due to global warming are there to our Irish forests? Pine bark borers or other insect pests? Increased likelihood of wildfires? What would you recommend for citizens to do to our small stands of trees to mitigate these risks?
22-08-2018, 12:51   #29
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajosjunkbox
Hi. I've planted about 1500 trees around my house in recent years. I plan to plant a few more trees this Autumn and replacing some of the ones I planted last year as they have died due to this summers weather. What trees would you recommend ? So far I have planted ..
some maple and sycamore might be a nice addition
22-08-2018, 12:52   #30
august12

Do you think there is any prospect of grant for second or subsequent plantations, is there much of a profit from one clearfell to replanting?
Thread Closed