Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Automation for ordinary roller blind

Options
  • 16-12-2017 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to automate an ordinary roller blind with loop chain to use with Google Home and Home Assistant. Needs to be battery powered. A solar sensor is not required I could do this with Home Assistant. Any recommendations.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

These are around for awhile. They have a newer model coming out also that's ZWave. The current ones are Bluetooth only but they can be setup to do routines locally.

They are powered by 4 AA batteries. Depending on size of blind and number of operations you would get around 2/3 months.

https://www.teptron.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Davy wrote: »
    These are around for awhile. They have a newer model coming out also that's ZWave. The current ones are Bluetooth only but they can be setup to do routines locally.

They are powered by 4 AA batteries. Depending on size of blind and number of operations you would get around 2/3 months.

Yeah I've come across that before after a Google. Do you have any experience with it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Yeah I've come across that before after a Google. Do you have any experience with it

Yeah are good, and simple to use. The first wheel design was plastic for the loop chain which were quite poor. They would skip so the blind wouldn't go fully up, other then to far down.

They posted out new metal clogs which solved that issue. If using for large heavy blinds, I would suggest using the supplied mounting brackets rather than the adhesive strip. If the unit gets pulled over time from the wall, it will take paint and plasterwork with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭bren2001

I've to put a spring mounted blind up this weekend. After seeing this, I've a feeling it'll be a roller blind with one of these....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Can they do curtains ?

• Advertisement

Can they do curtains ?

They might for a small selection of curtains, but I wouldn't buy this type just for curtains unless they are nearly the same as a chain loop.

I have seen a different type that sits on the curtain rail that can be retrofitted for curtains with or without a draw string but cant remember the name of it at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭leonffrench

Soma smart shades is what your after

• Registered Users Posts: 27,849 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Soma smart shades is what your after

Yikes they'd work out quite expensive for me... I'd need 10 for downstairs alone :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭corcadorcha

Iblinds looks good and promising. Pre orders January. This is just from a Google search. Works with z-wave.

Iblinds looks good and promising. Pre orders January. This is just from a Google search. Works with z-wave.

Looks like its for venetian only rather than roller blinds?

An intelligent Z-Wave blind motor that installs out of sight in existing Venetian (2" and 2 1/2" slatted-style) blind headrails.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Sorry to hijack, but does anyone know of anything for Venetians that will just do opening/tilting/closing? The blinds don't need to be pulled up or down.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭corcadorcha

Looks like its for venetian only rather than roller blinds?

Sorry, didn't read post properly.
    :o

Just pulled the trigger on the Teltron Move

• Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Interested to see how you get on with them, looks good, might give one or two a go. Wondering how much they would be used though.

@davy do you automate the times via the app, and put them all to correct heights, or do you just jut used them manually?

Do they reliably bring all the blinds to same level?

copacetic wrote: »
    Interested to see how you get on with them, looks good, might give one or two a go. Wondering how much they would be used though.

@davy do you automate the times via the app, and put them all to correct heights, or do you just jut used them manually?

Do they reliably bring all the blinds to same level?

In the app you set a fully open and fully closed position during setup. Once that's set you dont have to do anything after that. You can open/close via the button or via the app. Likewise if you want halfway, can be done via the app or pressing 'stop' on the unit itself.

They bring them to the same level now perfectly, as I mentioned earlier this was not the case at the start with the plastic cog that was shipped with them initially.

copacetic wrote: »
    @davy do you automate the times via the app

Missed this earlier, you can automate the times in the Android app (iOS not out yet). The options are to use Sunrise/Sunset, temperature, Clock time.

Once you pick the option and the unit, it will go up and down by time/sunrise without any app interaction as the schedule is held locally in the MOVE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Movez looks good, but they seem very slow to start shipping them. Still tempted to back it though.

Movez looks good, but they seem very slow to start shipping them. Still tempted to back it though.

Mine shipped earlier ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Mine shipped earlier ðŸ˜႒

Move or Movez?

Move or Movez?

Move, I've no interest in z wave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Yeah are good, and simple to use. The first wheel design was plastic for the loop chain which were quite poor. They would skip so the blind wouldn't go fully up, other then to far down.

They posted out new metal clogs which solved that issue. If using for large heavy blinds, I would suggest using the supplied mounting brackets rather than the adhesive strip. If the unit gets pulled over time from the wall, it will take paint and plasterwork with it.

I like the look of these. Just wondering if you have to pay import duty on these. I just got to the checkout stage and 25 per cent VAT was added. Would there be duty to pay on top of that at this end?

vienne86 wrote: »
    I like the look of these. Just wondering if you have to pay import duty on these. I just got to the checkout stage and 25 per cent VAT was added. Would there be duty to pay on top of that at this end?

Made and shipped from Sweden so no duty to pay.

Made and shipped from Sweden so no duty to pay.
    Perfect. We'll go ahead so. Tks for the quick response.

Got the Teptron Move, installed it, played with it for a few minutes and I've already decided to return it. It struggles under battery power but is fine when I run a micro usb cable. It also makes a clicking noise when closing the blind. Not impressed at all, especially at that money.
    I was also under the impression that I could connect it to Google home or home assistant but I can't with this one, this is most likely my own fault that I didn't research well enough.

Got the Teptron Move, installed it, played with it for a few minutes and I've already decided to return it. It struggles under battery power but is fine when I run a micro usb cable. It also makes a clicking noise when closing the blind. Not impressed at all, especially at that money.
    I was also under the impression that I could connect it to Google home or home assistant but I can't with this one, this is most likely my own fault that I didn't research well enough.

Interesting. When you say it struggles under battery power, is it that the blind is heavy? I haven't ordered yet, but am thinking of running it on USB anyway as I have a USB socket close by. My blind is big, and I am wondering about a power booster as well.

Interesting. When you say it struggles under battery power, is it that the blind is heavy? I haven't ordered yet, but am thinking of running it on USB anyway as I have a USB socket close by. My blind is big, and I am wondering about a power booster as well.

That's the thing, the blind isn't heavy at all. I've been on to support, they suggested changing the cog which improves things, but it's still clicking.

Their web server authentication is a mess, I can't login and when I try reset password it tells me my account with that email doesn't exist even though I've received a device and also emails from them. The support rep i was dealing with just fcuked off also, then a few seconds later their chat was offline and I must email in my support ticket. I then closed the browser and now it's telling me my username and pass don't exist again. Fcuking amateurs, I'm demanding a refund, this is poor quality and poor customer service

That's the thing, the blind isn't heavy at all. I've been on to support, they suggested changing the cog which improves things, but it's still clicking.

Their web server authentication is a mess, I can't login and when I try reset password it tells me my account with that email doesn't exist even though I've received a device and also emails from them. The support rep i was dealing with just fcuked off also, then a few seconds later their chat was offline and I must email in my support ticket. I then closed the browser and now it's telling me my username and pass don't exist again. Fcuking amateurs, I'm demanding a refund, this is poor quality and poor customer service

Sounds a mess. Did you just buy one unit or several?

Sounds a mess. Did you just buy one unit or several?

No, just one but it cost €72 all in with a set of rechargable batteries and shipping. Don't waste your money, this is not a finished product

No, just one but it cost €72 all in with a set of rechargable batteries and shipping. Don't waste your money, this is not a finished product

Hmm. I'll certainly have to think about it. A clicking noise per se would not bother me if the blind would go up and down OK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Hmm. I'll certainly have to think about it. A clicking noise per se would not bother me if the blind would go up and down OK.

Was keeping an eye on this as it doesn’t seem anyone has nailed blinds automation well (reasonable cost:performance ratio) yet. Alas, sounds like another crowdsource product released before it’s ready. I’ve been bitten enough times to now finally be able to ignore the promise of crowdsource products until they have shipped and are proven. Pity.

Advertisement