Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

18-02-2018, 20:10   #16
Meauldsegosha

When we were booking our venue today the wedding coordinator asked had we our had made our notification appointment yet. Would we need to make it this early? I know you have to give them three months notice so I was thinking of doing it at the beginning of 2019 which would give us plenty of time.

ETA: We are having our ceremony at the venue not the registry office.

Last edited by Meauldsegosha; 18-02-2018 at 20:13.
Advertisement
18-02-2018, 20:12   #17
LirW

Depends on where you are, we got one of the next available appointments in Dublin and that's in September. In other counties you can wait but I'd definitely ring asap to find out. Dublin is incredibly busy.
Afaik you don't need to give notification in the county you marry though.
18-02-2018, 20:16   #18
liz84

Ah i understand! We will (hopefully) be having civil ceremony in our venue so i think we just give the 3 months notice of intention to get married. Are you guys all planning on big weddings or low key or whats the plans!! Im hoping to do it for under 15k thats for roughly 120 guests. Whether it works out at that price is another thing but its figure i have in my head!!
18-02-2018, 20:22   #19
Meauldsegosha

We're having a smallish wedding, 100 guests.
18-02-2018, 20:24   #20
LirW

Are you having a civil ceremony with a registrar or a celebrant? If you want a registrar it'd make sense to ring the HSE soon since they're so busy in urban areas.

We're doing very low key, registry office with a dinner afterwards, 15-20 guests. We'll spend the night in a hotel and do probably nothing for a day but staying in and doing married people stuff.
My family is travelling in and we decided to do it next year because we've plenty to do in the house we bought this year and don't want to be stressed out.

The only thing we're willing to splash money on is a photographer, the biggest regret people have is not having nice pictures of the one important day, I worked with a few photographers in the past and I've seen some awful wedding pictures in my time.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
18-02-2018, 20:30   #21
Meauldsegosha

Just checking the HSE website. We need the name of the celebrant when giving the notification so we'll get that sorted first and then make an appointment.
18-02-2018, 20:31   #22
LirW

If you're in doubt you can always call the HSE, they're quite helpful.
18-02-2018, 20:49   #23
liz84

I think we're going to go with a hse registrar. Ya see I don't have any venue booked so haven't rang hse yet (being honest I don't even know who to call in hse). I'm meeting venue on Friday so assuming the date we are hoping for is available should I then ring and try to book an appt is it. Sorry this is all very new to me and now I know why I'm engaged 7 yrs lol.
18-02-2018, 21:01   #24
LirW

I think we're all in the same boat of trying to figure out how it works.
The HSE has a list of all registry offices online with their phone numbers.
Advertisement
18-02-2018, 21:11   #25
liz84

Quote:
Originally Posted by LirW View Post
I think we're all in the same boat of trying to figure out how it works.
The HSE has a list of all registry offices online with their phone numbers.
We'll get there in the end!!
I might give hse ring 2m then and find out some info! Have to get the ball rolling at some stage.
19-02-2018, 18:49   #26
love_love

After catching up on this thread, I made my call today and booked in for our Notice appointment and secured our date We're having the legal stuff done a few days before our reception/party, so still have to decide on venue, but we should hopefully have that done before the end of this month.

For anyone who has booked their venue, how many places did you look at before deciding? We're Dublin based but don't want to do it in Dublin but we also don't drive, so we've seen two venues so far and don't really want to check out anymore as it's a full day and favours from my parents each time we want to check somewhere out. Would yous advise to check out more than that, or would we be safe enough to go with whichever place we like most?

I should point out I've done extensive research so the two places we've visited are the ones that ticked the most boxes for what we want, they weren't just random places!
19-02-2018, 19:12   #27
liz84

Quote:
Originally Posted by love_love View Post
After catching up on this thread, I made my call today and booked in for our Notice appointment and secured our date We're having the legal stuff done a few days before our reception/party, so still have to decide on venue, but we should hopefully have that done before the end of this month.

For anyone who has booked their venue, how many places did you look at before deciding? We're Dublin based but don't want to do it in Dublin but we also don't drive, so we've seen two venues so far and don't really want to check out anymore as it's a full day and favours from my parents each time we want to check somewhere out. Would yous advise to check out more than that, or would we be safe enough to go with whichever place we like most?

I should point out I've done extensive research so the two places we've visited are the ones that ticked the most boxes for what we want, they weren't just random places!
Hi love love,

I rang about civil ceremonies etc today to find out some info.
When you mean secured your date do you mean the date u will get married? I wanted to book our venue 1st before I book civil ceremony date because I'd be afraid of booking civil ceremony and then not bring able to get the date i want in the venue I want.

I've looked at about 2 places don't feel the need to look any more as happy with both places!!
19-02-2018, 20:12   #28
LirW

Quote:
Originally Posted by love_love View Post

It's my second time planning now, because the day we wanted to pay the deposit I found out I'm pregnant and we both wanted to focus on baby first, then it happened that we bought a house and now we wanna do it.
We looked at two and decided between the two of them, I looked at like 1 million more online and you get a good picture.
Go with whatever feels right for you!

I'm going to meet the photographer next Monday, after that's done I won't take care about anything until I have to gather my paperwork.
Thanks from:
20-02-2018, 09:50   #29
love_love

Quote:
Originally Posted by liz84 View Post
Hi love love,

I rang about civil ceremonies etc today to find out some info.
When you mean secured your date do you mean the date u will get married? I wanted to book our venue 1st before I book civil ceremony date because I'd be afraid of booking civil ceremony and then not bring able to get the date i want in the venue I want.

I've looked at about 2 places don't feel the need to look any more as happy with both places!!
We're doing the legal stuff in the registry office, which is only available Monday - Friday, and then we're having our party (and a more lovey dovey bells and whistles ceremony thing) on the Saturday. We have two venues holding our Saturday date while we make a decision, and our registry office date is the Thursday before. Hope this helps! I've only recently got my head around civil meaning registry office/HSE/weekdays only and secular means humanist/spiritualist. I had thought civil and secular were interchangeable.

LirW, that's really reassuring, I feel like we could keep looking forever but that'll only drag things out and make a decision more difficult!
20-02-2018, 12:27   #30
Meauldsegosha

I rang the HSE this morning. As we are having a secular ceromony at our venue with a celebrant and not a HSE registrar there is no hurry to make our notificaion appointment. One less thing to worry about for a while.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion