Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SonOff Low Cost Wifi Switches for Home Automation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭GryKyo

There is not normally any neutral where your light switches are placed in the wall. The neutral usually just daisy-chains from one light fitting to the next. It is important that the neutral that is used for the light switch is on the same MCB circuit as the line you switch with the Sonoff as using a line from one circuit and neutral from an other will almost always start causing nuisance tripping of your circuit breakers. 40mA current difference between live and neutral on one circuit breaker is all it takes.

HTH

Garry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭durtybit

Would be interested in this for the boiler. Wouldn't have a clue on the electrical side, though.

Just added mine a good few weeks ago and placed the cables according (like for like) to the new positions on the Sonoff. Works great also integration out of the box works with Amazon echo. (All this for less than the price of a new heating timer)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭lochdara

GryKyo wrote: »
    There is not normally any neutral where your light switches are placed in the wall. The neutral usually just daisy-chains from one light fitting to the next. It is important that the neutral that is used for the light switch is on the same MCB circuit as the line you switch with the Sonoff as using a line from one circuit and neutral from an other will almost always start causing nuisance tripping of your circuit breakers. 40mA current difference between live and neutral on one circuit breaker is all it takes.

HTH

Garry

Thats why i suggest take off his switch first. I had my neutrals behind the switch. A bit odd i know but i asked a few and some say they shouldn't be there and some say it doesnt matter. It worked nicely for me. Im going to use a light switch to switch my heating because they look nice. Ii have just added a 5amp switched fuse spur to replace my existing one. Currently a sonoff basic is there.

Currently fundraising for Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association

In Memory of my fab Wife www.sinsin.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Is the server still down for people?

afatbollix wrote: »
    Working for me,

Maybe try reprogram

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭Dermobrickie

If ur using a 2 or 3 gang switch how many neutral wires do u need?

If ur using a 2 or 3 gang switch how many neutral wires do u need?

Im not electrician and havent seen the 2 gang, There maybe pic online to tell you.

Here is a pic.. Looks like 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

What I can see from pics is that you need a neutral and live to power the switch itself, and then the live is also switched through to the relays to control the lights . So for the 3 gang you would need 5 wires I think. A live and a neutral, and then 3 going to the live of each light or lighting circuit. Neutral for the lights themselves goes directly there.

(I'm not a sparks, have ordered a switch to verify the above)

kenmc wrote: »
    What I can see from pics is that you need a neutral and live to power the switch itself, and then the live is also switched through to the relays to control the lights . So for the 3 gang you would need 5 wires I think. A live and a neutral, and then 3 going to the live of each light or lighting circuit. Neutral for the lights themselves goes directly there.

(I'm not a sparks, have ordered a switch to verify the above)

yeah 1 neutral and live in.. and the rest live out. same as single switch

• Advertisement

lochdara wrote: »
    Thats why i suggest take off his switch first. I had my neutrals behind the switch. A bit odd i know but i asked a few and some say they shouldn't be there and some say it doesnt matter. It worked nicely for me. Im going to use a light switch to switch my heating because they look nice. Ii have just added a 5amp switched fuse spur to replace my existing one. Currently a sonoff basic is there.

Hang on, they're only rated at 2A per gang according to
    https://www.itead.cc/sonoff-t1.html

Hang on, they're only rated at 2A per gang according to
    https://www.itead.cc/sonoff-t1.html

I can reduce the fuse, Burner and pump only runs at 250 watt, thats around 1 amp. If it fails i'll swap it out. I have 2 arriving soon so i can do a quick test and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

afatbollix wrote: »

Still down for me, cannot perform remote switching at all even though the sensors are reporting back fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭CGI_3

or 'network unavailable'

Probably third time in the last week.

You'd be wondering why.

They say it is hosted on AWS.

That has an ongoing cost. How's this paid for I'm wondering?

Fair enough, they'll have factored in a cost on the initial purchase cost to us,

But the AWS fees will always keep rolling in...

EWELINK posted on facebook their servers are getting hammered with new devices so are implement more storage space.

EWELINK posted on facebook their servers are getting hammered with new devices so are implement more storage space.

Thanks.
    For reference : https://www.facebook.com/EWeLink-1194108247346790/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

CGI_3 wrote: »
    or 'network unavailable'

Probably third time in the last week.

You'd be wondering why.

They say it is hosted on AWS.

That has an ongoing cost. How's this paid for I'm wondering?

Fair enough, they'll have factored in a cost on the initial purchase cost to us,

But the AWS fees will always keep rolling in...

AWS fees will keep rolling in.....sonoff sell more and more devices you will probably see a subscription fee in the future when we become more dependent on them, i hope that doesn't happen but it would seem likely.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

tweek84 wrote: »
    AWS fees will keep rolling in.....sonoff sell more and more devices you will probably see a subscription fee in the future when we become more dependent on them, i hope that doesn't happen but it would seem likely.

Thing is, for what they are doing, simple on/off commands, the amount of data and resources they are using are insanely small per device. Really no reason why it can't be built into the price of the device.

Even €1 a year sub would be high for this.

By comparison something like Google Home would use WAY more data and IP cameras like Logitech Circle would be another massive jump above that.

It sounds more like that they simply didn't write their server software with scaling in mind. I'd guess they wrote it as just a single server and now need to update the code and configs to support cross server load balancing, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

So based on the above posts if I have a tp link smart plug and set a schedule on it, it is dependant on the tp link server?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

So based on the above posts if I have a tp link smart plug and set a schedule on it, it is dependant on the tp link server?

I don't believe so. I can't guarantee it, but it looks like the plug itself has it's own server and it is using p2p between the app and the plug. I'd say they are only using the cloud servers for dydns and IFTTT/GH integration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

Thanks for the info. Are all sonoff switches dependant on a server?
    i.e. is the basic switch as would hate to end up with unsupported switch down the road!

https://www.itead.cc/smart-home/sonoff-wifi-wireless-switch.html

Thanks for the info. Are all sonoff switches dependant on a server?
    i.e. is the basic switch as would hate to end up with unsupported switch down the road!

https://www.itead.cc/smart-home/sonoff-wifi-wireless-switch.html

They switch on and off manually in the house. You can customise firmware which many has done and get your own web interface. thats my next project so i dont have to rely in ewelink

SuperHouse #27: Visit to the Sonoff factory

https://youtu.be/uZjZZKiKlNY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »

you can turn on any device you like. i have one on heating and fridge that isnt used so much.
    lots of tutorials if you are any way ok with electrics. but the server may be offline. my kit is offline anyway tonight. they still work manually. look up superhouse on youtube.

Patww79 wrote: »
    you send commands via their app. To work on your wifi you will need to load a different firmware. That is more complicated but possible.

Mine works with alexa no problem. you add the sonoff through alexa app. I even have a robot vacuum working through alexa..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭mcbobbyb

Here's an update on the server issues.

We'd like to give you some additional information about the service disruption that occurred in the European Union Region recently.
    The cloud server was deployed on Amazon AWS Germany since mid 2015. With the rapid growth of users and devices, the servers load are under high load.
    Upgrading the server and server shortly after the New Year holiday was planned. Unfortunately the server went down on 1st Jan, 2018.
    When the servers came online again 4 hours later, millions of devices request https connection?n at the same time.
    The servers were working under considerably high load. What makes it worse was the servers were under DDOS attack during these few days.
    We found some bugs that cannot be found under low load. Coordinate mechanism between the server and the devices should be upgraded as well.

After been full tested, the EU server will be upgraded in Mid Jan.
    Come along with More powerful AWS servers, upgraded server architecture, improved attack protection, and better coordinate mechanism.

Finally, we want to apologize for the inconvenient caused for our customers.
    We will do everything we can to learn from this event and use it to improve our availability even further.

If you reflash them with tasmota or espeasy, you're the master of your own destiny. And there's no worry about future subscription charges coming down the line

• Advertisement

If you reflash them with tasmota or espeasy, you're the master of your own destiny. And there's no worry about future subscription charges coming down the line

Would tasmota or espeasy allow you to reprogram the function of buttons on the sonoffs? I'm specifically thinking about programming the R1-R4 buttons on the 4 channel switch to perform a 1hr boost function for my boiler.

https://www.itead.cc/blog/explanation-on-service-disruption-on-eu-region/
    "Jerry Shi Mod • 6 hours ago

IFTTT and scene functions are temperately suspended, they will come back when the server architect upgrade is ready.

In addition to the server upgrading, LAN control is under developing. Here is a small demo video."

https://youtu.be/1pC-ovOfD_0

how difficult is it to build your own web interface and then integrate into amazon echo?

Dunno about echo, but you can control tasmota switches using openhab which gives you a couple of different guis. Google home can talk to openhab using ifttt, presume Alexa similar

JaCrispy wrote: »
    Would tasmota or espeasy allow you to reprogram the function of buttons on the sonoffs? I'm specifically thinking about programming the R1-R4 buttons on the 4 channel switch to perform a 1hr boost function for my boiler.

So you want the r1 button to latch for an hour say, to boost the heating?

Is the only way to reflash them the solder and arduino route. Also can you do it to the plugs and bulbs

• Advertisement

mcbobbyb wrote: »
    Is the only way to reflash them the solder and arduino route. Also can you do it to the plugs and bulbs

Initially yes, but then they can be done over the air for updates. Yes to plugs, think not for bulbs, but yes to bulb adaptor "slampher"

So you want the r1 button to latch for an hour say, to boost the heating?

Yep

JaCrispy wrote: »
    Yep

You'd need to rewrite the code in tasmota to have that behavior I think. Better to use something else to control the switch like openhab, then if you decide you want 2 hours or 1.5 hours it's a simpler change than having to reflash the sonoff

Is there a way in sonoff using the th16 where i can set a schedule to turn on heating monday 5am to friday evening with a setpoint of 20 degree and at weekends leave it permanently on but reducing the setpoint to 16 degrees automatically.

• Advertisement

Is there a way in sonoff using the th16 where i can set a schedule to turn on heating monday 5am to friday evening with a setpoint of 20 degree and at weekends leave it permanently on but reducing the setpoint to 16 degrees automatically.

Stringify and IFTTT might be able to do it for you, the th16 is next on my shopping list.:D i plan on doing similar so i hope it works for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭air

You might be able to use IFTTT as tweet84 has said but the TH version will be of no advantage to you over and above a regular SonOff if you do it that way.

The Auto functionality in the TH versions is very limited, you select upper and lower temp ranges and the device switches on and off to maintain that. There's no timer functionality in conjunction with the auto functionality and no way to change the setpoints automatically.

air wrote: »
    You might be able to use IFTTT as tweet84 has said but the TH version will be of no advantage to you over and above a regular SonOff if you do it that way.

The Auto functionality in the TH versions is very limited, you select upper and lower temp ranges and the device switches on and off to maintain that. There's no timer functionality in conjunction with the auto functionality and no way to change the setpoints automatically.

i better start learning more about ifttt

i better start learning more about ifttt

Don't research IFTTT too much, just use it to use stringify you can use that to set your timers to to turn on and off your heating at set times with stringify.

Have a look at this

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=105501324

It solved my problem with lack of timers on the sonoff units

Thanks.. I'll look at that. I never heard of stringify. Something new to play with too.

Can the th 10 or 16 connected to the mains and powered be used to switch other devices through Wi-Fi rather than having a load after the device.

You'll have to have another go at that mcbobbyb, not sure what you're asking.

I think it can be used to switch other smart devices on and off. So say you set the temperature to 20 and that will switch on x or y. I Don't want it just to switch on a bulb that is hard wired into the th10 itself.

Yes you can do that no problem using a scene. Another device can be triggered if the temperature is above or below a set value.
    You could probably use the standalone sensor instead though, might be a bit easier to locate and wire up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement