Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hive v Nest v Climote

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

hick wrote: »
    Anybody using TRV's along with any of their systems, can't see any integrated options
    so for this I like the Evohome honeywell

Hive have them in development but no ETA yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

lolliedog wrote: »
    I'm no expert but my understanding is that the live and neutral in 1 & 2 will stay the same. It is power to the panel. The other connection need an input to energise/switch ( i.e turning on the heating.) I think it should work you just can't wire the zone valve until it is installed.

See, you have thrown me there and this is why I have a peice of paper in front of me for the last week trying to work it out:) When you say L & N in 1 & 2 what L & N are you referring too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

This might help ye, this post and thread in general.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101641705&postcount=34

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolliedog

THE ALM wrote: »
    See, you have thrown me there and this is why I have a peice of paper in front of me for the last week trying to work it out:) When you say L & N in 1 & 2 what L & N are you referring too?

Sorry my mistake that shiuld be pernanent L&N in the diagram you posted. That the permanent feed from the fuse board. Connections 1234 are then part if a circuit that needs energising to turn on. Like turning in the heating makes the circuit.

lolliedog wrote: »
    Sorry my mistake that shiuld be pernanent L&N in the diagram you posted. That the permanent feed from the fuse board. Connections 1234 are then part if a circuit that needs energising to turn on. Like turning in the heating makes the circuit.

No problem, was thinking that is what you meant. When I get it and have a proper look hopefully it will become clearer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

PVF wrote: »
    Hi..Do you have to pay a monthly fee for the netatmo after you get it with energia.?

There are no ongoing fees for Netatmo.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭larchill

THE ALM wrote:
    No problem, was thinking that is what you meant. When I get it and have a proper look hopefully it will become clearer.

The (NC) & (NO) mean Normally Closed & Normally Open respectively. So Heating (NO) is open until there ia a call for heat which will close the NO switch making the circuit to activate a valve, pump, etc. NC & NO are provided to provide a variety of options.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,300 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Ignore him he's completely wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,300 ✭✭✭✭ted1

looliedog, this was my thinking and why I have ordered as I know one way or the other it will be used.

I am trying to sketch/work out how the wiring would go as we currently have two separate pumps for the heating and hot water.

If I look at the wiring diagram for the dual channel receiver then my thinking would be, or not as the case may be, that the live and neutral come in, the L & N from the heating pump would be connected to 2 & 4 and the hot water L & N would be connected to 1 & 3. I would have to split the boiler L & N in two and have one each going to 1,2,3 & 4 so that when either the heating or hot water come on then so does the boiler.

I am a bit sceptical that this is the way that it will work.
    Step away from anything electrical. And get someone to do it for you

ted1 wrote: »
    Step away from anything electrical. And get someone to do it for you

Don't worry I will be seeking expert advice before doing anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Have a nest sitting waiting to be installed next week. managed to get the Gen 3 version from Harvey's for €219 as they had a sign up advertising one at that, which was actually the price of the older model but there was nothing on the sign to state that. Decided to go for the nest because of the amount of other things that work with it. Will be interesting getting used to it.

Currently have manual TRVs on all rads & had considered upgrading these over time, but realistically, we don't touch them now, so I can't see how smart ones will make any difference at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭randombar

Hi All,

Right so trying to figure out Nest v Hive v Netatmo currently have the climote.

I've just moved to hue (will be bankrupt buying all the bulbs) and have the echo ordered to contradict that we are an apple house with iphones, ipads and an imac.

I love the idea of the Nest smoke alarm etc but from what I can tell the Hive is better suited to a 4 bed house, 3 zones, heat on, heat off type effect.

Any recommendations?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Hi All,

Right so trying to figure out Nest v Hive v Netatmo currently have the climote.

I've just moved to hue (will be bankrupt buying all the bulbs) and have the echo ordered to contradict that we are an apple house with iphones, ipads and an imac.

I love the idea of the Nest smoke alarm etc but from what I can tell the Hive is better suited to a 4 bed house, 3 zones, heat on, heat off type effect.

Any recommendations?

I have the Nest heating controls on the same setup, and it's great. Use Macs as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭Shred

I have a Nest and stand arriving from Amazon today; I decided to go for this over Hive due to its greater interoperability. I'll be arranging installation for later in the week.

Just wondering what it's like for the 3 zone operation? i.e. upstairs/downstairs/hot water

I see some people buy two for the two zones, what happens with the hot water?

Just wondering what it's like for the 3 zone operation? i.e. upstairs/downstairs/hot water

I see some people buy two for the two zones, what happens with the hot water?

Each nest can control 1H + 1W

You'd need 2 Nests.

We have both Nest and Hive. After 2 years of Nest and about a month of Hive, we'd lean towards Hive for any future installs.

Thanks for the recommendation Graham. Can I ask what your home automation set up is out of interest?

Also can you let me know if hive does the 2 zones plus HW?

Thanks for the recommendation Graham. Can I ask what your home automation set up is out of interest??

Good thread here about everyones setup (mine included), I don't have much integrated at the moment but we're getting there :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057674083
    Also can you let me know if hive does the 2 zones plus HW?

For a 2H + 1W setup you will need a "Hive 2" (H+W) and "Hive 2 Multizone" (1H).

So 2 zone hive plus hw = 245

2 zone nest plus hw = 374

Yikes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭mel123

I have a small house (2 bed) with gas central heating. The water heats up when the heating is on. In summer obviously i dont use the heating i use just immersion. Some days i knock off work early, some days i work late. Instead of using timers, what i would love is to be able to knock the heat/water on from my phone. Can anyone make a suggestion of what would be suitable for me?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

mel123 wrote: »
    I have a small house (2 bed) with gas central heating. The water heats up when the heating is on. In summer obviously i dont use the heating i use just immersion. Some days i knock off work early, some days i work late. Instead of using timers, what i would love is to be able to knock the heat/water on from my phone. Can anyone make a suggestion of what would be suitable for me?

Nest or Hive with the hot water zone option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭mel123

Final one before I pull the trigger on hive.

If I went with hive would I have to get the hub separate if I wanted to use the hive plug?

Final one before I pull the switch on hive.

If I went with hive would I have to get the hub separate if I wanted to use the hive plug?

Comes with the standard hive thermostat kit.

Trigger pulled, this broke so far from Christmas, UGH.

Hi Lads,

Just looking up the documentation on the hive there, wiring diagrams etc.

My understanding is I will have to use 2 receivers. 1 to do hw and downstairs and the other to do upstairs.

From peoples understanding does this sound correct?

// Gary

From peoples understanding does this sound correct?

Yup

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread guys.
    I'm considering one of these units now.

I have my central heating / Water in 2 zones.
    Zone 1 heats the house. One wall thermostat on the first floor landing.

Zone 2 heats the hot water independently.

Will the hive be ok for this? Do I add the zone option?
    Where would you recommend I buy it?

Thanks.

Yes, Hive will work fine with you setup, you need to get the heating + hot water pack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

Anyone have any experience using a device with air to water heat pump... panosonic in this case

3 zones Inc water currently

Advertisement