Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PGA Tour Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Does that guy wear his golf gear to watch the golf on TV? That's a bit sad.

Or maybe he got in from playing his Sunday comp and sat down to watch the golf...

Anyway, one of the comments on that video states:
    I was on the 14th when Tiger hit this tee shot. I was standing almost directly behind him about 3 people deep. The shot he hit was a very bad hook. I saw the video footage and the camera angles are horrible. The shot started out going towards the right side of the fairway and hooked sharply and landed about 7-10 left of the water line. The drop Tiger took was about 25 yards behind where the ball entered the water. I'm not a Tiger fan, so I am not making excuses for him, the drop was legal.

Hard to know. The video clip looks like it went straight over the water but camera angles can be deceiving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,498 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    Or maybe he got in from playing his Sunday comp and sat down to watch the golf...

Anyway, one of the comments on that video states:

Hard to know. The video clip looks like it went straight over the water but camera angles can be deceiving.
    If it started out right, why did Rolfing say almost immediately that it was left?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

GreeBo wrote: »
    So you think that the forum should be run to suit you, a member who only has a passing interest in reading/commenting on golf tournaments?

Funnily enough I think it should cater more for the members who read/post regularly, but hey, what do I know, I'm eccentric. :rolleyes:

/edit
    Also, when your interest kicks in, why not just click on the last page...?

I think it should be run in a democratic manner. But you carry on, you seem to greatly enjoy whatever noteriety you feel being a Mod gives you.

Regarding the Tiger drop, I've been wondering would it be mentioned. Sky Sports are so spineless, Butch Harmon actually mentioned this right after play but, in pure Sky style, they quickly changed the subject as they do...

Harmon said something to the effect of: "Actually we were sitting here wondering if he maybe dropped from the wrong place"... Crazy that they didn't even explore it with a replay...

The Gentleman's game of Golf has been through the ringer these past few weeks, eh. Tiger's drop in the Masters, Garcia getting off scott-free the other week - and now this :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

The Masters one was an innocent mistake, even if the ensung rules gymnastics made it look bad.

But last nights drop was dodgy indeed. But unlike the clear cut drop in the wrong spot in Augusta, this one was fully within the rules with the two players agreeing with a judgement call. But with Tiger (honestly or not) biased towards a particular viewpoint, and Wittenberg biased towards not being dragged into controversy, I do wonder if the correct judgement was made.

Almaviva wrote: »
    The Masters one was an innocent mistake, even if the ensung rules gymnastics made it look bad.

But last nights drop was dodgy indeed. But unlike the clear cut drop in the wrong spot in Augusta, this one was fully within the rules with the two players agreeing with a judgement call. But with Tiger (honestly or not) biased towards a particular viewpoint, and Wittenberg biased towards not being dragged into controversy, I do wonder if the correct judgement was made.

I was wondering that, once the players 'agree' then, as far as the rules are concerned, that's that, correct? Really doesn't look good but it can be hard to spot the right line from ground level. Although the TV guy following the group seemed to spot it just fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    I was wondering that, once the players 'agree' then, as far as the rules are concerned, that's that, correct? Really doesn't look good but it can be hard to spot the right line from ground level. Although the TV guy following the group seemed to spot it just fine.

I thought it looked as if Woods turned his back on the shot mid flight.
    To add to your question, could the caddy give guidance if the player didn't see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭realgolfgeek

anyway, back to the golf.

I really like the look of Marc Leishman in the HP Bryon this week.
    He's had a really sold few weeks and I think a win is only around the corner for him.

Andres Romero is my sneaky outsider. He's starting to move (slowly), back in the right direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

The plot thickens further, the marshals have now come out & said that they never spoke to tiger & told him sergio had hit.

The plot thickens further, the marshals have now come out & said that they never spoke to tiger & told him sergio had hit.

Hmmm... although, what else would they say??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Tiger is a winner, and will do anything to win. That's my opinion. I also believe that he doesn't possess even one ounce of class.

Anyway, this week's event...I would suggest siding with a player who has proven that he plays well in windy conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

Saw it again there.

Tiger takes the club out of the bag,
    The crowd begin to cheer and applaud,
    Tiger puts his index finger to his lips to "sssh" the crowd and points in Sergios direction.
    Why would he do this if he'd been told Sergio had hit.

I also think he dropped where he wanted to drop, not giving a sh*t where it crossed the hazard, knowing his playing partner wouldn't challenge the Tiger.
    If tiger is getting away with it with the eyes of many millions on him, Jonny amateur is going to be tempted to do it with no one looking.

He's a lying cheating Cnut and is doing serious damage to the game, ALLEGEDLY

idle wrote: »
    Saw it again there.

Tiger takes the club out of the bag,
    The crowd begin to cheer and applaud,
    Tiger puts his index finger to his lips to "sssh" the crowd and points in Sergios direction.
    Why would he do this if he'd been told Sergio had hit.

I also think he dropped where he wanted to drop, not giving a sh*t where it crossed the hazard, knowing his playing partner wouldn't challenge the Tiger.
    If tiger is getting away with it with the eyes of many millions on him, Jonny amateur is going to be tempted to do it with no one looking.

He's a lying cheating Cnut and is doing serious damage to the game, ALLEGEDLY

where is the video of Tiger telling the crowd to "shhh"

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

where is the video of Tiger telling the crowd to "shhh"

Sky+. It was shown at the beginning of sky coverage on Sunday. There was a split screen and if in sync then Sergio had plenty time to back off the shot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

• Advertisement

Wombatman wrote: »

To me, that looks as though it skipped forward and left...certainly not parallel to the shoreline as described in the article.

Woodsdrop.png

That's not to say that I think it definitely crossed near where he said but I don't think it's as clear cut as many people think. I believe he made the decision in good faith based on his and his playing partner's view at the time. It's very easy to second guess him after seeing multiple replays at multiple angles and even then it's not definitive. There's no official TMO like in rugby so he has to work with what he has as we all do and hope he gets it as close as possible.

I know there is probably an option to have replays checked but I prefer to trust people to make an honest guess in the spirit of the game and just get on with it.

Topper - that would be some bounce. The big red circle is just a magnification of the smaller one :D:D

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    Topper - that would be some bounce. The big red circle is just a magnification of the smaller one :D:D

facepalm.jpg

I was a bit surprised when I saw it first alright. I stand by the whole spirit of the game malarkey though.
    :D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭OilBeefHooked2

That looks very dodge alright and with the video from the blimp it looks even worse and unlike the masters when a strong argument could be made for him being rattled and inadvertently getting it wrong, the same couldn't be applied here.
    It'll being interesting to see how the powers that be handle this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭Russman

idle wrote: »

^^^^^
    This IMO

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

david-k wrote: »
    It'll being interesting to see how the powers that be handle this one.

There is nothing to be handled from their point of view. They must accept that the best judgement of the crossing point was made by those on the tee as specified in the rules.
    There will be no further actions, statement, clarification from USGA, PGA, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

As Topper Harley already stated from those images it's far from clear cut that he took the drop in the wrong spot.
    If you draw a line between the two splashes in the water and extend that line it certainly seems to cross the hazardline near enough to where he dropped, in fact not just near enough but pretty dam close.

I find it way more plausible to assume his ball flight was near enough that extended line than to conclude his ball took a wicket deflection to the left when hitting the water first but was all the way straight out over the water before that.

Its hard to say for definite but in the light of the pictures and under the assumption that an honest judgement call was made I can't see too much wrong with it. Maybe some people are beginning to see things where they want to see things.

Boskowski wrote: »
    As Topper Harley already stated from those images it's far from clear cut that he took the drop in the wrong spot.
    If you draw a line between the two splashes in the water and extend that line it certainly seems to cross the hazardline near enough to where he dropped, in fact not just near enough but pretty dam close.

I find it way more plausible to assume his ball flight was near enough that extended line than to conclude his ball took a wicket deflection to the left when hitting the water first but was all the way straight out over the water before that.

Its hard to say for definite but in the light of the pictures and under the assumption that an honest judgement call was made I can't see too much wrong with it.

Double face palm.

Have a look at the 2 posts directly under the one from Topper.
    The large circle is just a magnification of the smaller one.

ajcurry123 wrote: »
    Double face palm.

In fairness though, Wombatman didn't help us when he said "Ball skipped forward not left!!!". I think the word "skipped" helped advance the misunderstanding of the magnified image being a second bounce, which of course I realised was incorrect but only after making a fool of myself. :D

Point stands though - no amount of replays give a definitive verdict.

Double face palm.

It would be nice if people could point out for once a misunderstanding plain and straight without some little condescending add-on like 'double face palm'.

Christ almighty. As if nobody ever made a mistake before.

Boskowski wrote: »
    It would be nice if people could point out for once a misunderstanding plain and straight without some little condescending add-on like 'double face palm'.

Christ almighty. As if nobody ever made a mistake before.

It would be nice if people didn't get so uptight and mistake the tone of my post.

It was said in jest, a continuation of Toppers post, where he was happy to have a laugh at himself and posted a facepalm image when he realised his mistake.

It would be nice if people didn't get so uptight and mistake the tone of my post.

It was said in jest, a continuation of Toppers post, where he was happy to have a laugh at himself and posted a facepalm image when he realised his mistake.

Well lets leave it at that and fair enough and thanks for clearing that up, too, but its a common misconception that people will find it alway easy to pick up 'the tone of a post'.
    A mistake I often make myself btw.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Crikey, Brads just shot 60 despite consecutive bogeys, disappointing!

Crikey, Brads just shot 60 despite consecutive bogeys, disappointing!

10 birdies and an eagle :eek: Some round!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭Russman

What did Keegan Bradley just tap down on his line on the 11th green ?? Looked a bit dodge.....

Is this on Sky lads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭big_drive

Just in the door, Is it not on sky tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

golf channel / nbc if you have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Creasy_bear

Nice one sky, put on wrestling instead of the golf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭big_drive

Strange one as Sky always seem to have the 4 days, don't remember missing any other tournaments in the past year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Russman wrote: »
    What did Keegan Bradley just tap down on his line on the 11th green ?? Looked a bit dodge.....

It seems that if its not Tiger then nobody is interested. I didn't see it myself.
    Is this on Sky lads?

Its on the red button.

Not a happy camper at all.

Herself out and just put the wee one to bed.
    Feet up. TV on.

SS1 Football... Ok
    SS2 Cricket.... Hmmm
    SS3 Wrestling..... WHAT
    SS4 Tennis.... THE FCUK

Yaya informs of Red Button.... Well that was a bit of an overreaction ;)

Red Button on SS4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Creasy_bear

Red button is no good if you're watching on the Xbox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Yaya informs of Red Button.... Well that was a bit of an overreaction ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Even with the red button I think it was only an hours coverage. Oh well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Bradley got this sewn up or will someone come out of the pack to catch him?? I have a feeling there might be a few twists in this one yet

not sewn up anymore - but i think he should take out bae anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Oh Keegan.

Great win for Bae :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Seven Swedes made the cut this week, seriously impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Hopefully the Kuch can hold on for the win. Very tight at the top though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Hope Timmy Clarke can do the business, have a lot of time for this guy. 2 shots off the lead of Boo Weekley early down the back 9.

bit of a schoolboy error.

Overton disqualified for rules violation

http://www.pgatour.com/tourreport/2013/05/25/overton-dq-in-middle-of-round.html

bit of a schoolboy error.

Overton disqualified for rules violation

http://www.pgatour.com/tourreport/2013/05/25/overton-dq-in-middle-of-round.html

Overton took to twitter to say:

"If ur gonna inform someone on a rule of something a person can do, make sure u remind them of the small things they can't do"

Eh no Jeff, it's up to you to know the rules.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement