Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mixing advice for Beginner DJ's

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Well 8 bars is just an example as it's longer and will be a smoother transition. Think of it like a slow crossfade, everything is smooth but with the EQ it's just the bass. Don't be afraid to mix it up a little and try new things, see what works for you. :)

Cheers for the tips Dave. Was working with 8 bars tonight and it went quiet well. Obviously every two tracks are different so I won't be sticking to one formula. Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Swopping basslines smoothly is to avoid cluttering the low end with two different basslines. If you're only mixing for a few seconds, I'm not sure you'll notice the full benefit: the only reason for swopping smoothly is to hide/mask the mix. The differences between two tunes would generally be pretty apparent if they only overlap for 8 bars? If you're smooth mixing over 8 bars you can only really hope to swop the basslines at the appropriate point. Which would be a simple case of bringing one bassline down slowly, and slapping the new one in at the right point.

Perhaps a different mixing technique would be more in line with what you're looking for, for shorter, fast mixes: chops, drops, cuts, scratches and effects come to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭ianuss

Perhaps a different mixing technique would be more in line with what you're looking for,.

Like what? Much longer mixes, 40-60 second mixes? Or something completely diiferent?

Yep, but it's a matter of taste?

But I think if you've a 40-60 second mix you've a better chance, cos longer mixes are easier to blend smoothly.

I go the opposite way: I tend to blend for too long, until the pitch needs to be correced (cos it's fun!) but this isn't right either and I get plenty complaints to that end.

So my opinion: if they'll only stay together for <30 seconds, maybe vary how you mix them (drops, cuts, effects, loops etc (whatever), as mentioned) and if you can keep them together longer then blending slowly with the EQs/filters is an option.

But I'm talking about really smoooooooth long blends, not about stopping the basslines from clashing. If you're mixing for 8 bars, and stopping them clashing, you're doing nothing wrong, imo.

The better deep house dj's won't even use EQ's to do all this mind you, they'll just keep pushing the track in reeeeeealy slowly (big rotary mixers help with that) so what do I know :)

Well, I've only recently started to experiment mixing with EQ's, and my mixes are generally quite long too. And I'd like to get them as smooth as possible - I'm ok with the hi and mid EQ's, as you can hear them much clearer, so I was wondering how you would you best use the Lo.........like really, really slow and gradual mixing? Or increasing one/decreasing the other, every 4 bars or something like that?

Yep. Either or. You need to find the "bite" where one bassline comes through and the other's gone. Try and make that at the start of a bar/phrase/sequence. There will always be a point where it's mud, even if the two are equally low. Avoid this like the plague. You gotta know where on the EQ this is. Every mixer's different. Always "jump" the EQ's through the "muddy" point rather than sitting in it. It'll be a tiny movement. But you can blend right down/up to this point, before the new track MUST come to the front. If you've filters you can just take out the offending frequencies. If you don't you gotta bring it through at the right time.

If your EQ's not smooth enough none of this is possible, by the way, and there's nothing you can do, other than a straightforward "swop".

Its just "swopping" the basslines, but doing it discretely, thats all. Same as you're doing with the hi and mid, just avoid the muddy bass.

I should have written that first, really. :(

Yep. Either or. You need to find the "bite" where one bassline comes through and the other's gone. Try and make that at the start of a bar/phrase/sequence. There will always be a point where it's mud, even if the two are equally low. Avoid this like the plague. You gotta know where on the EQ this is. Every mixer's different. Always "jump" the EQ's through the "muddy" point rather than sitting in it. It'll be a tiny movement. But you can blend right down/up to this point, before the new track MUST come to the front. If you've filters you can just take out the offending frequencies. If you don't you gotta bring it through at the right time.

If your EQ's not smooth enough none of this is possible, by the way, and there's nothing you can do, other than a straightforward "swop".

Its just "swopping" the basslines, but doing it discretely, thats all. Same as you're doing with the hi and mid, just avoid the muddy bass.

I should have written that first, really. :(

Quality advice man. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭clayton1

i am DJ'ing 5 years now and i haven't a clue how to beat mix being honest. Because i do parties and weddings etc. it is not really a necessity.

But it is something i want to get right, any advice? i don't use cd's, i have mp3 decks - cortex hdc-1000.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Are you serious? Ah come on man that's terrible. So every time you do a mix it’s like a heard of stampeding elephents? You can't really call yourself a Dj unless you can beatmatch. It’s like a racecar driver not being able to drive a manual car. It’s not rocket science, honestly just practice and one day it will ‘click’.

Those type mixers are a bitch to mix on. Best thing to learn on is Vinyl, it’s the hardest. CDJ’s are easy enough.

• Advertisement

Zascar wrote: »
    Are you serious? Ah come on man that's terrible. So every time you do a mix it’s like a heard of stampeding elephents? You can't really call yourself a Dj unless you can beatmatch. It’s like a racecar driver not being able to drive a manual car. It’s not rocket science, honestly just practice and one day it will ‘click’.

Those type mixers are a bitch to mix on. Best thing to learn on is Vinyl, it’s the hardest. CDJ’s are easy enough.

i know, it is a disgrace to be honest. But i get away with it, so thats why i never bothered learning.

any tips for me??

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Zascar wrote: »

Ta for that. I forget from time to time, the volume of information widely available both on google and youtube

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 darrens13

There's some great advise in this thread, thank you:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 DJ Equipment

thank you for your advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dubsbhoy

I run a DJ Programme for young people and i usually start them off with a few tracks i made up that are just made up of percussion loops, when I'm back in work on Monday i'll upload them if you want to throw them into the first post, may be useful for absolute beginners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 juan 79

Maybe it's just the way mixing is thought nowadays but so much emphasis is put on counting bars/phrases,...not in my day Yeah obviously you were told of the 4/4 beat construction of a track,intro outro bassline kicking in etc,but back then there was more leeway mixing tracks ie mixing the intro into the outro of the second track,it was more what sounded right and "organic" and what your own preference was.
    Suppose nowadays everything is scrutinised to the n-th degree.

One big mistake I seen dj's doing when syncing tracks- 2 tracks nearly beatmatched and then suddenly one beat slightly unmatches-to comppensate this dj's often speed up/slow down the relevant track by slowing the platter/twiddling the spindle(vinyl decks) and while it has the desired effect of syncing beats,what the mistake is you should adjust the pitch when touching the spindle/platter instead of not going near the pitch. When manually adjusting track tempo you are only doing it for what 1-2 beats and if you dont adjust the pitch according the beatmatch will break again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

Fantasic thread,well done Zascar et al , im an oldskooler (or old fart ) using vinyl (and only ever will) , i dont subscribe to the whole "cant teach an old dog new tricks" train of thought,your always learning, I was just wondering does the advice given here apply to all types ie. Vinyl , CD & Virtual DJ's or are certain pointers directed at a certain type? Maybe it would be an Idea for anyone putting up advice to headline it as "Vinyl", "CD" , "Virtual" or "All"

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for starting the thread and thanks to all who have taken time to post up pointers n tips.

My advice to youngbloods,intermediates : Practice & Enjoy and never think you know it all just coz things are starting to go together well,give yourself a new challenge the better you get.

Here's a useful link for the practising Vinyl & CD DJ's following this thread
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ellaskins?feature=chclk

Keep on keeping on!!!

Rgds
    G

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭no scope

Hows it going lads,

Looking to get into djing , really like the idea of using a laptop and all that wont have to worry about dragging cd's and vinyls around etc . . .

What do i need to buy to start off looking for a cheap set to start off with e.g mixers , sound cards , head phones , mayb programmes for laptops hav started messing around with VirtualDJ home edition

P.S no links please , would rather somebody tell me whats best

Thanks for future replys lads , and might see you'se all in the mixing forums

Jay :)

no scope wrote: »
    Hows it going lads,

Looking to get into djing , really like the idea of using a laptop and all that wont have to worry about dragging cd's and vinyls around etc . . .

What do i need to buy to start off looking for a cheap set to start off with e.g mixers , sound cards , head phones , mayb programmes for laptops hav started messing around with VirtualDJ home edition

There's already a thread on the topic. Obviously there have been some new additions to the list that aren't mentioned in it but you should get a good idea from sifting through this........

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055703778&highlight=controller

Probably best to have a read first and then post any questions you may have in that thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

Hows it going lads,

If thats the way you want to go I'd suggest grabbing yourself one of these,made with VDJ's in mind

http://adverts.ie/344604
    8cbaed518a2b0a92f081df90dd1bc40a9be0e5854c6408b1066c661734eccaf7.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭YOP1992

Hows it going lads,

http://adverts.ie/305798

I'm selling this at the minute, its a quality controller and a couple of lads on the forum use one!

Any ideas for how to 'mask' a shift in tempo. For example, I want to move from a 100 bpm track to a 125 bpm track. Intros/outros are an obvious area, but has anyone got a specific technique?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭Chloroplast

Well, because the 2 bpms's are a good range apart, in my opinion it would be hard to 'mask' that type of shift,

this is what "I" would do, im sure there many that would do different.

i would first make it 126 bpm rather than 125, because if you half 126 its a nice even number of 63bpm as opposed to 62 and 1/2 if it was 125bpm,and bpm counters on pioneer mixers etc, dont seems to show or read half bpms.

so im playing my track at 100bpm, and then i would wind it down and down really slow, below 100bpm and then slowly bring the speed up and up till it gets to 63 bpm, then double that makes 126, so since its nice and even it will fit lovely over the other bpm, and makes a more of a impressive transition.

thats just a neater way out of it my opinion. ive done this before playing breakbeat or even reggae and mixing in other 4x4 stuff into it. works very well.

Yeah if it's dj'ing you mean, then dropping to half-speed is nice. You're making the pitch adjustment to the SLOWER deck (the one that's already playing) though, so you gotta do it right or it'll be a mess. If your pitch slider wont bring it down far enough, cut the power and rotate by hand at the half-speed. If thats no good, find some interim tracks and build your way there bit by bit.

Or get a pitch correction device maybe.

But tbh if your music style permits/augments it....thats what scratching's for...to drop the new track.

Or cut, vocal sample, drop

100-125 will never sound like a seamless mix, so get creative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Gonna try that half trick for a laugh later. Nice one lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

That half trick is good because you're slowing down the playing track, and then dropping in the other track at full speed, so you shouldn't lose much energy, which is always the problem with tempo shifts.

It won't really work the other way though, because speeding up a track loads and then dropping a half speed track is gonna sound pretty bad.

You could do it the gangster way, and just do a mega spinback, then drop a few gunshot/airhorn samples, and away you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tsoparno

i tip i can offer you need to know your tracks inside out and upside down found this easy with vinyl cause i used only buy 7 or 8 records a wk and play them to death for a wk.but now peoples mp3 libarys r so big you'll probably never really get to know all your tracks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

I was ages trying to get beatmatching down.

Out of frustration, I ditched the earphones, and played both decks (not bothering with cueing or 4/4 matching) and gave myself plenty of time to match the beats.

Helped no end!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭The_Gatsby

Can anybody give me some advice on some fairly decent speakers that would do for small house parties etc? Been bedroom DJ'ing for a while now and want to start making some money :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Lukebray wrote: »
    Can anybody give me some advice on some fairly decent speakers that would do for small house parties etc? Been bedroom DJ'ing for a while now and want to start making some money :P
    I doubt you'll make much (if any) money from doing house parties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭generalmental

Hi I am having problems with the sound coming from my 1210s since i bought this new mixer
    2hckhzr.jpg
    THe problem i am having is when i move the crossfader to channel 1 most(80%) of the sound just comes from the left speaker, but when I move the fader to channel 2 i get most of the sound from the right speaker

I did have the same problem too when I had the old mixer which was
    2itm0wh.jpg

But when i had the vestax mixer I just put the red wire in phono and the black wire in line(I no, doesnt make sense). I run the sound through my Technics hi-fi system but i really do not think that is the problem.I also had a problem with 1 deck but got that sorted a good few weeks before i bought the mixer

I am new to all this so i am not sure if i am doing something wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Hi I am having problems with the sound coming from my 1210s since i bought this new mixer
    2hckhzr.jpg
    THe problem i am having is when i move the crossfader to channel 1 most(80%) of the sound just comes from the left speaker, but when I move the fader to channel 2 i get most of the sound from the right speaker

I did have the same problem too when I had the old mixer which was
    2itm0wh.jpg

But when i had the vestax mixer I just put the red wire in phono and the black wire in line(I no, doesnt make sense). I run the sound through my Technics hi-fi system but i really do not think that is the problem.I also had a problem with 1 deck but got that sorted a good few weeks before i bought the mixer

I am new to all this so i am not sure if i am doing something wrong.

What way exactly are you connecting to your mixer?

You should have your Deck #1 connections Red & White(or Black in some cases) connected to CH1 Phono to the corresponding colours, and Deck #2 connections to CH2 Phono to the corresponding colours. That should be your starting point at the very least.

M101USB_back_media.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

If the problem has followed into the new mixer, and if you do bazmos' checks, and if your phono/line selectors are set to phono, its probably an issue with your rca cables.

Niall in aquarius will fit new ones (you're as well off to get new earths at the same time) for about 40 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

Lukebray wrote: »

http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/Products/Product/tabid/78/PID/166/CID/171/language/en-GB/Default.aspx

The Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 monitors are great value for the sound you get out of them. Good price for the quality of them and would be perfect for that kind of thing I reckon..

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 57 ✭✭denver62002

Cant stress that enough when im teaching people! It takes serious practice before you become comfortable with beatmatching.

For the extreme beginners id advise them to get two identical tracks and repeatly beatmatch them. The two tracks will be the same BPM so it will be very easy after a few goes then pick a different track and try that. Learn what BPM means and learn how to count bars and phrases,
    1234 2234 3234 4234

Keep off effects and eq's untill you can beatmatch properly.

Sean

Does the newer versions of cdj's have auto beatmaching/sync??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Hamiltonion

Does the newer versions of cdj's have auto beatmaching/sync??

They won't beatmatch for you but they do give a reading of BPM (Which is pretty accurate - I've checked my entire wallet on Traktor and CDJ)

Software will beatmatch for you, I'm not going to get into whether or not this is cheating / a bad thing / a good thing / gives you more time to do creative things with your mixing etc etc but I will say if I was playing out and didn't have to beatmatch I'd be bored, plus knowing how to beatmatch teaches you when you can break the rules and clash beats etc. I tried Traktor for a good while and it really took the fun out of DJing for me.

It's not all that hard, check BPM of track playing, cue your next track to the 1st beat of the bar where you wanna mix in, adjust the tempo to match, count in and hit play on the beat, adjust with jogwheel, bring up the faders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Not sure if its been said before but, generally a dance track will "do-something" every 32 beats.

Try it. Next time your listening to a track count the first beat of the intro. Usually on the 32nd beat a new element will drop in, like high hats etc.

As the song comes to its climax the elements start dropping out one by one. This is a good time to start a mix and bring in a new element from another track one by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭cloudydsound

Cant stress that enough when im teaching people! It takes serious practice before you become comfortable with beatmatching.

For the extreme beginners id advise them to get two identical tracks and repeatly beatmatch them. The two tracks will be the same BPM so it will be very easy after a few goes then pick a different track and try that. Learn what BPM means and learn how to count bars and phrases,
    1234 2234 3234 4234

Keep off effects and eq's untill you can beatmatch properly.

Sean

i found beatmatching simple from the start, i'm not bragging, i'm just saying some people have an ear for it and get it straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭slpower01

A few bits of advice ..... first is a book I have and also heard good things about it from other forums, it is called "how to dj (properly) from Frank Broughton and Bill Brewster" basically has information about everything from setting up, to dealing with contracts when playing down to how to make remixes etc.

Something I have found is 10 great songs that you know INSIDE OUT is better then 100 songs you have heard twice but think you know them really well.... GET TO KNOW YOUR MUSIC PROPERLY.

FX work best when people don't really know they are being used subtlety is key... nothing like a massive flanger or phaser full volume to ruin a half decent mix. Fx are there to add elements to your music, not to drown it out.

Samples should be used the same as FX... subtle... nothing like an airhorn or siren to let people know you have only been mixing 6 weeks using virtual dj.

Try and learn the roots of djing and see if you can get a go on some turntables so that you can really appreciate the art form it used to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 MickOLeary

Great advice. 100 percent start with house music if your a beginner. Get your hands on 2 tracks around 120 beats per min. I found it much easier to grasp mixing on slightly slower house tracks. Avoid heavy electro, Trap and Dubstep to begin to learn to mix even if thats what your into!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 barry burke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

Really good thread here!

My two cent as a noobie - if you start out with a controller, laptop and Traktor/Virtual dj or whatever, you're gonna end up doing a lot of mixing with your EYES rather than your EARS. I know this because i've been doing it for the last two years. All that visual information is hindering my progress, i'm not learning the tunes by ear because I can just look at the waveform and see where the builds/breaks and all that are......i'm not counting bars properly because I can just set cue points and one click of the mouse means i'm exactly where I want to be!

I'm not dissing laptop dj'ing -far from it. It's amazingly accessible, convenient, can be relatively cheap to start out with and when you have a four deck controller and the creative juices start flowing it can be ****ing great fun!

But, I just wasn't satisfied and I don't think i'm learning the craft properly. Personally, I felt that i'd be better off starting with tradition (vinyl) and working my way forward. That way, I can master the absolute essentials(ie. mixing completely by ear) and i'll be more flexible and competent as a club DJ, and will have no problems using pretty much all industry standard gear.

With all this in mind, i've been buying loads of vinyl over the last few months, and got turntables yesterday.

Time to get stuck in and learn this stuff for real!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 deink

Great advice, maybe stick in a few names in the paragraph about Youtube? I found ellaskins to be really helpful myself when I was starting off, still is!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Can't hear anything from the headphones while mixing in a club? Wear an earplug and this will filter out sounds from the dance floor. The cheap ones in the chemists don't work well but other more expensive plastic ones are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 SaintlyWinner

How is it going lads? Just my two cents. I can definitely relate to SamAK up above there. I'm young but I started out about 2 years ago. I really wanted to start on vinyl or cds but at the time I couldn't justify the money when I didn't know if it would ever go beyond the bedroom. Two years on with my trusty usb decks and laptop and I can safely say that beatmatching isn't something I can do or worry myself about. I know about getting the right bpm for tracks and mixing them into eachother but for most of my gigs it's pub work playing chart music or Nathan Carter. I would love to move onto bigger and better things but I don't see how that's possible at the minute (I hated country music to begin with but now it's a backbone to my typical set). I have played a number of various different events, parties and weddings etc, without ever getting caught up with my lack of beatmatching. Am I still considered a DJ?
    I have taught myself how to DJ and my only experience of other DJs would have been in youth discos or the odd nightclub so it wasn't like I had a great idea of how to follow all your tips and tricks. I've never actually had a sit down conversation with another DJ about techniques so everything I have learned is by trial and error.
    From my own experience, I personally find music choice to be far more important (by a county mile) than all the mixing and beatmatching in the world. Nothing beats jumping between a good dance number to an old classic sing along, something that has worked well for me on a number of occasions without needing the complicate matters.

Look I'll admit I'm just a grasshopper in this field and I lack the experience seen by most of the people on this thread, but just something I had to get off my chest considering there's a number of people here mentioning they're starting out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I have played a number of various different events, parties and weddings etc, without ever getting caught up with my lack of beatmatching. Am I still considered a DJ?

First off let me state that my opinions are not a personal attack on you, it's just my opinion on DJing.
    You can of course be considered a DJ in the general scheme of things. After all, radio Djs on mainstream stations don't beatmatch, they just talk and play songs. However in the club sense no, I don't think you can be considered a Dj without having the basic skill.
    I have taught myself how to DJ

Again, I have to question this if you can't beatmatch.
    From my own experience, I personally find music choice to be far more important (by a county mile) than all the mixing and beatmatching in the world.
    Nothing beats jumping between a good dance number to an old classic sing along,

For me this is a total no. While of course I agree that music choice is fundamental to a good Dj set, just jumping from a 'good dance number to an old classic sing along' is not the way to keep a crowd going. All that happens there is the people enjoying the dance number look up and go 'what the fu*k!' and walk off the floor. When I'm out dancing I want to be there enjoying the music for a good 10-15 minutes, not being switched back and forth between stuff I like and the next instant hate. For me nothing beats listening to a great tune and then hearing another great tune being built into it for a minute or so. The skill of the beatmatcher is to have those two tracks playing together and letting the floor enjoy the current track while heightening the pleasure with the anticipation of the next track, all the while creating a mix of the two for a period that you won't hear outside of that Djs choice at that time and place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

mordeith wrote: »
    First off let me state that my opinions are not a personal attack on you, it's just my opinion on DJing.
    You can of course be considered a DJ in the general scheme of things. After all, radio Djs on mainstream stations don't beatmatch, they just talk and play songs. However in the club sense no, I don't think you can be considered a Dj without having the basic skill.

As someone who was "a DJ in the general scheme of things" for years, but certainly not a "club Dj" I would have to agree with this.
    The only cross-over would be a good ability to judge a crowd and keep a good vibe going.

As a former "pub DJ" I know my beat-matching skills are basic, and with the stuff I played there wasn't usually much opportunity to use them, but I always got a kick out of doing it (usually going from some sort of alternative guitar band into a 12" disco track, or something) so I always had a lot of admiration for people who do a whole set of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

mordeith wrote: »

Again, I have to question this if you can't beatmatch.

For me this is a total no. While of course I agree that music choice is fundamental to a good Dj set, just jumping from a 'good dance number to an old classic sing along' is not the way to keep a crowd going. All that happens there is the people enjoying the dance number look up and go 'what the fu*k!' and walk off the floor. When I'm out dancing I want to be there enjoying the music for a good 10-15 minutes, not being switched back and forth between stuff I like and the next instant hate. For me nothing beats listening to a great tune and then hearing another great tune being built into it for a minute or so. The skill of the beatmatcher is to have those two tracks playing together and letting the floor enjoy the current track while heightening the pleasure with the anticipation of the next track, all the while creating a mix of the two for a period that you won't hear outside of that Djs choice at that time and place.

I disagree a bit here with you - selection trumps beatmatching every time for me.

I've seen guys like Alle Farben, who's set sounded like one long song so smooth was the mixing, the perfect peaks every few minutes... and it bored the arse off me... it just sounded too perfect, too robotic.

Give me someone like Mr Scruff who is not afraid to completely change up the styles

Beatmatching is important but if you're too focused on making sure the blend is right over the selection I think that's where it falls down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

leakyboots wrote: »
    I disagree a bit here with you - selection trumps beatmatching every time for me.

I've seen guys like Alle Farben, who's set sounded like one long song so smooth was the mixing, the perfect peaks every few minutes... and it bored the arse off me... it just sounded too perfect, too robotic.

Give me someone like Mr Scruff who is not afraid to completely change up the styles

Beatmatching is important but if you're too focused on making sure the blend is right over the selection I think that's where it falls down

I know track selection is vital, but without some sort of segue into the next track it can sound like a car crash. Not many have the skills of Scruff, 2ManyDjs etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

SamAK wrote: »
    Really good thread here!

My two cent as a noobie - if you start out with a controller, laptop and Traktor/Virtual dj or whatever, you're gonna end up doing a lot of mixing with your EYES rather than your EARS. I know this because i've been doing it for the last two years. All that visual information is hindering my progress, i'm not learning the tunes by ear because I can just look at the waveform and see where the builds/breaks and all that are......i'm not counting bars properly because I can just set cue points and one click of the mouse means i'm exactly where I want to be!

I'm not dissing laptop dj'ing -far from it. It's amazingly accessible, convenient, can be relatively cheap to start out with and when you have a four deck controller and the creative juices start flowing it can be ****ing great fun!

But, I just wasn't satisfied and I don't think i'm learning the craft properly. Personally, I felt that i'd be better off starting with tradition (vinyl) and working my way forward. That way, I can master the absolute essentials(ie. mixing completely by ear) and i'll be more flexible and competent as a club DJ, and will have no problems using pretty much all industry standard gear.

With all this in mind, i've been buying loads of vinyl over the last few months, and got turntables yesterday.

Time to get stuck in and learn this stuff for real!

I read over this post and it is very true.

The visuals on a screen that show you the construct of a track, are forcing a different way of working out what goes where and when.

Trying not to sound clichéd, but you have to feel whats right audio wise.

If you love your tunes, you should try and feel what goes where.

I have my turntables years, and have my 300 or so Rave vinyl also, when i was mixing them years ago with nothing more than a two channel mixer with only Bass, Treble and Gain on it, you were using the knowledge of how you knew the sound flowed within a tune, and the next, to blend Audio together.

I tried using mixing software on a laptop and it felt very distracting and detaching from the actual audio.

Not saying DJ's cannot be as good that only use PC's etc, just that it could help new people starting off mixing if they were able to focus on the audio without the visual.

• Advertisement
Advertisement