Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bird Problem Help

• 25-06-2019 7:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭

I don't know where to put this on boards.ie

This bird in pic below seemed like his leg or wing might have a problem and it jumped into my kitchen, I brought him down to the vet but they said they can't take him so he's back in my house again, i have to keep him in here because there are a few cats around my place and i don't want him to have to deal with that. Is there any where I can send him at this time or is there a bird rescue vet place that can come out to me and collect him ? Not sure what to do with this feller. I'm in the Swords area of Co. Dublin.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Can’t help you with the bird but I know a reliable painter & decorator who could do a job on those walls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Did you just assume it’s gender? :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

It's a starling and they are practically pests.

Had a few come down my chimney even with a chimney cowl, tried nesting in my kitchen attic roof.

Throw it outside and let nature take it's course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Bird Watch Ireland might be able to help. You can... hehe... tweet them here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

Nah, i'm not into dumping it out the way it is. there must be some place that can take it and heal the little feller

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

are you feeding it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

It's a starling and they are practically pests.

Had a few come down my chimney even with a chimney cowl, tried nesting in my kitchen attic roof.

Throw it outside and let nature take it's course.

what an inconvenience to you.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

There's a vet in bray if you fancy making the trip. Her name is Bairbre O Malley. I've brought a few birds to her, she's lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Lynnington3

Nah, i'm not into dumping it out the way it is. there must be some place that can take it and heal the little feller

Kildare animal foundation wildlife unit are amazing for all kinds of wildlife.
    Give them a call or text 087 620 1270 (mods this is their wildlife helpline, not a private number)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Best in the Nature Forum. Mods may move it.

It's a Starling and I get cases like this brought to me all summer every year. It's best to keep it outside rather than stress it indoors. You really need to put him in as safe a place as possible outside. In most cases they recover, given time and left undisturbed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

It might have hit a window and get stunned. I do put them in a dark box and give them a drink and leave them overnight to rest.
    Turn them out in the morning then and see do they fly off.
    If they still can’t fly off they get the 2 x 1 as a humane dispatch.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    are you feeding it?

I gave it bird food which it ate and water which it drank a lot of.

Best in the Nature Forum. Mods may move it.

It's a Starling and I get cases like this brought to me all summer every year. It's best to keep it outside rather than stress it indoors. You really need to put him in as safe a place as possible outside. In most cases they recover, given time and left undisturbed.

I have it in a large box with plenty of coin sized holes with soft cloth inside. I left a good bit of water in there and bird food, will leave him in the shed in box till I get someone to call out to collect it or I'll drive it if I have to.

Kildare animal foundation wildlife unit are amazing for all kinds of wildlife.
    Give them a call or text 087 620 1270 (mods this is their wildlife helpline, not a private number)

I rang that number and they said they will try to get someone out this evening. Thanks for the number Lynnington3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,846 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Mod NoteMoved from AH to Nature. Please read the local charter before posting. AH style posting will get you a ban here.

Mod NoteMoved from AH to Nature. Please read the local charter before posting. AH style posting will get you a ban here.

I don't use after hour style posting in any of my comments, so I do not understand why you think this might be the case. I just couldn't find the right thread to post this issue, that's all.

I don't use after hour style posting in any of my comments, so I do not understand why you think this might be the case. I just couldn't find the right thread to post this issue, that's all.

It's a direction to all posters, as they began posting while the thread was in AH and this forum is a different style. It's not directed at you personally.

It's a direction to all posters, as they began posting while the thread was in AH and this forum is a different style. It's not directed at you personally.

Oh, I see, I took it a bit personal there, I didn't realise this. Well the folks in kildare rescue didn't get back to me this evening so the little feller is in a large box with plenty of food and water for the night in the locked shed. The thing is, the starling can fly a bit as I saw earlier on and I had a look at his feet and legs from a short distance away and didn't notice anything abnormal, maybe this starling is just old, or malnourished, it's hard to tell.

If these folks don't come out by tomorrow afternoon, maybe I should open the box in my garden and see how it goes when it pops out, I'm sure that if this bird is still not well it will go back into my kitchen again, it seems to not have a problem with humans, there again this bird could have been living in my garden for a while. There is a jackdaw bird that always comes up very close to us here in the garden, they seem to have no problem with folks here.

Any further advice on what I should do with this one ? Thanks.

First thing this morning, take it outside, open the box and set it free.

First thing this morning, take it outside, open the box and set it free.

I done exactly that and the bird hopped out and went over to the corner of the garden and started eating a load of ants and bugs, but it wont fly. I noticed that it was holding up its right leg so it definitely has a sprain or simular, it's not broken as it sometimes walks on it with a wobble. 2 hours sitting there keeping an eye on it so no cats get near it so I had to put it back in the box. I rang Kildare animal rescue again this morning and they said they will definitely have someone call in today, so will wait.

• Advertisement

That's everything sorted out now. I'd like to say a very big thank you to Aoife from Kildare animal rescue and Ciara For taking this starling this evening for professional treatment. Thanks a lot, I'm going to miss this little fella, this starling is a strong and intelligent one for sure, amazing creature.

Also, thanks Srameen For your previous comments.

Best wishes

Michael.

Just a little short video of the starling here enjoying eating its ants and bugs.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tU-qq8pyeJ5U4N33qYJrwEyLQ7Rdxupm/view?usp=sharing

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Lynnington3

I rang that number and they said they will try to get someone out this evening. Thanks for the number Lynnington3

No prob at all! Glad to hear that you got sorted with the little guy.

Advertisement