Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lana Del Rey - Malahide June 2019

Options
  • 08-10-2018 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭

Yes!!!.........

Lana Del Rey is Malahide Castle-bound - she'll play Saturday June 22 next year.

It will have been three years since she last played Ireland at Electric Picnic 2016.

She first hit hte big time in 2011 when the music video for Video Games went viral and her debut album Born to Die reached number trwo on the Billboard charts.

She has released four further albums including last year's Lust for Life. Del Rey will release a new studio album - Norman ****ing Rockwell - in early 2019.

Tickets for Malahide Castle are €69.50 including bookings fees from Ticketmaster. On sale Friday October 12 at 9am.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭janeybaby

Is it just general sale or is there a presale for tickets does anybody know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭fourmations

looks to be the general sale,
    no talk of pre-sales as far as i can see

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

Yikes that seems steep?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,474 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Bought an eticket for one of my kids but notice that they spelt Lana's name Del Ray instead of Del Rey, anyone notice that? Will this cause any issue on the day of the concert?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Bought an eticket for one of my kids but notice that they spelt Lana's name Del Ray instead of Del Rey, anyone notice that? Will this cause any issue on the day of the concert?

No,they just scan the barcode ,nobody looks at the writing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

notice that they spelt Lana's name Del Ray instead of Del Rey, anyone notice that?

She started by spelling her own name wrong :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

How does a promoter get that wrong?!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭Zardoz

She started by spelling her own name wrong :)

Well its not her real name .:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Zardoz wrote: »
    Well its not her real name .:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭lukin

Hi, question for people who have been to gigs in Malahide Castle before: does anyone know what time this is likely to finish? It says on the ticket gates open at 4.
    I have been trying to get a room at a reasonable rate but they are either all booked or the rates are outrageous.
    If it finishes at an early enough time I might get the train home or else drive there. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

Should be finished between 1030 and 11. Probably closer to 1030. plenty of time to get a dart in to town

Should be finished between 1030 and 11. Probably closer to 1030. plenty of time to get a dart in to town

Thanks, I got a cheap guesthouse in Swords, nothing in town (that was reasonably priced anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Tamino announced as the sole support act. Other malahide gigs have 3 or 4 support acts announced well in advance. Seems strange theres just one for this and only announced a week ahead of the gig.

wish LDR was on before The Cure
    She's a lot to live up to now!

Not much reaction to this. I thought it was OK but her set was too short. Those backing dancers were a bit tacky, I think she should get rid of them.
    Played Doin Time for the first time which was a nice bonus. First time in Malahide Castle, bigger venue than I thought it was. I don't think it was a sell out but looked fairly full.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Yeah also thought the set was too short and all the time hanging with her fans in the front row got a but boring after a while. Ended kind of anticlimactically I thought. Having said that I enjoyed it and in not a huge fan or anything.

all the time hanging with her fans in the front row got a but boring after a while.

She does that at all of her gigs I think.

i enjoyed it but i do love her,
    total melting pot of a crowd
    that support guy was so bloody depressing, holy sht
    i was trying to find a bus to throw myself under,
    had to move, there was a tone-deaf teenager beside us
    crying all night and screaming (not singing) all the lyrics,

i liked the set, all the hits amonst lots of tracks she hasnt played in years, which went down well for my missus
    who wasn't even going to go until a few days ago

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,674 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I'm a fan, and I'm obviously glad I went, but I'd agree with a lot that has been said here already. Lana herself was perfectly fine, but the whole thing seemed a tiny bit unsteady at times, which may be to be expected as it's the first of her summer shows and needs time to settle. The two backing singers seemed a bit incongruous and, if anything, were an unwelcome distraction. If Lana wants live vocal support, fine, but give them a more low key role. Their presence on stage dominates too much, especially when the small band is rendered almost anonymous.

The set was far too short for someone with her back catalogue. If she only had one or two albums to her name, you could excuse it, but there's more than enough material there for a longer show.

She's evidently decided to use the lengthy instrumental section of Venice Bitch (extended even further in concert) for her normal routine of selfies and autographs and collecting gifts from the front row. The problem is that while that might work indoors, in a smaller venue, it's not really practical to work a barrier the length of the Malahide stage. While the people on the barrier are clamouring to touch the hem of her garment, everyone else is standing there, thinking, (a) is this going to go on much longer? and (b) this isn't much fun for those of us who aren't at the front. I was quite close to the stage, maybe ten back, to the right, and people began streaming out of the place as that whole episode outstayed its welcome. It would have been fine if Lana came back on and did another song, but there was a real sense of anti-climax about it.

As for fourmations earlier comment: No, she couldn't possibly have followed The Cure. That was phenomenal. And twice the duration.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I enjoyed it and thought she gave a good performance but it was definitely too short. She could easily have done two hours.

Although, I loved the instrumental section of Venice Bitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

that support guy was so bloody depressing, holy sht
    i was trying to find a bus to throw myself under,

Tamino, I thought he was very good, never heard of him previously but have been listening to his stuff today. He was sat behind me in the disabled section during the Lana playlist itself.
    As previously mentioned the main set was far too short and was pretty pissed off really. About 70mins play time is pathetic really given the price of tickets here and her extensive back catalog available. Thought she was going to play at least a few more after all the time wasted with the front row fanatics.
    First time at a gig in Malahide Castle, nice spot but more awkward to get to than the likes of Kilmainham but we were very lucky with the weather, not sure I'd have lasted had it been on Sun evening.

Quite a lot of criticism on lanaboards.com of this gig. I have to say I agree. It was too short and there weren't enough backing musicians for the songs.
    The sound was ropey in places too. I recorded "Doin Time" on my phone and the sound was really low for about half of it (it dropped in and out).
    I thought it was the fault of my phone or where I was standing but then I saw a recording of the same song on Rolling Stone's website (taken from YouTube) and the sound was the exact same.
    After she finished it Lana said "It's gonna get better" in a slightly embarrassed sounding voice which indicated she noticed it too. National Anthem which she played after that was really low too.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Dozyart

lukin wrote: »
    Quite a lot of criticism on lanaboards.com of this gig. I have to say I agree. It was too short and there weren't enough backing musicians for the songs.
    The sound was ropey in places too. I recorded "Doin Time" on my phone and the sound was really low for about half of it (it dropped in and out).
    I thought it was the fault of my phone or where I was standing but then I saw a recording of the same song on Rolling Stone's website (taken from YouTube) and the sound was the exact same.
    After she finished it Lana said "It's gonna get better" in a slightly embarrassed sounding voice which indicated she noticed it too. National Anthem which she played after that was really low too.

She doesnt control the volume,and if she had in ear monitors then she wouldnt have a clue what is coming out the front speakers let alone how loud it was!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭PCros

Dozyart wrote: »
    She doesnt control the volume,and if she had in ear monitors then she wouldnt have a clue what is coming out the front speakers let alone how loud it was!

Yes but she employs sound engineers to control the volume. If they are not doing their job correctly then they need to go.

Weather was perfect that evening so no excuses.

she did comment on National Anthem also
    something to the effect of , "i couldnt even hear that, so much bass"
    the sound was indeed terrible at times

she did comment on National Anthem also
    something to the effect of , "i couldnt even hear that, so much bass"
    the sound was indeed terrible at times

Yeah I remember her saying that. I definitely think she noticed the poor sound. Even though she played a short set I think she would not be happy that her fans had to put up with that. I have heard she doesn't like playing live but only does it because she has to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

I managed to miss the entire gig, partly my fault but mostly due to some fella got assaulted on the Dart at Tara St, and Irish Rails incompetence in handling it.

Which for some reason this meant we all got told to get off the Malahide bound train at Pearse, which had already been sitting still for 10 mins and to board another one at another platform. It was already cutting it close as it was nearly 8:30, had missed one by 2 mins.

The train we were told to board was actually headed to Howth which it didn't say until we were moving. Those of us going to the gig had to get off at Connolly and wait again, the next one didnt get there for another 20 mins.

So basically I got to Pearse Station at 8:15, and didnt arrive to Malahide until 10 past 10.

By the time we got to where you could see the stage she was down in the front row, only the band playing. Only thing I heard from Lana was her goodbyes, not a bloody note of singing.

Then had to turn around and leave to catch the train back. According to Irish rail they were gonna have extra traibs on, but got onto them since and was told they only have the extra services on after the gig. Not a single extra train for the 2 hrs before the headliner. There werw young girls crying on the train. Should never take 2 hrs to get to Malahide from town.

Advertisement