Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blur or Oasis

• 05-06-2019 1:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,360 ✭✭✭

I was always Oasis, even if they turned to sh1t after Be Here Now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭eldamo

Pulp! to be awkward.

I was always Oasis at the time, but in hindsight blur are leagues better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Blur

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

I like both :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

oasis...the early years were the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

1995 called, looking for its thread back

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Both great bands, but different.

Oasis hit with an incredibly fertile first 2 albums (and solid B-sides on the singles) before largely drying up.

Blur kept plugging away at a fairly consistent level of quality for years.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Never liked Oasis that much but blur had some good tunes. Each to their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Humphrey Menton

Blur.

WHAT!?

OASIS! I mean Oasis!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Never could see any talent in Blur, more like a novelty act. Most definitely Oasis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I liked both ....equal amounts at time and people would look at you like you got 2 heads ... "" yeh but which is ur favorite " ...uugghhh same really....

All these years on I have to say blur won hands down .... I heard Lonesome street a few months ago and other songs on magic whip album and I instantly fell back in love with them ...

Theres a live version of Lonesome street in studio ....really good .... and I was listening to their live concert from hyde park ....God that was a fab concert and would have loved to have been at that ....2 hours of brilliant music...

Dont tell to many people but theres also a live version of tender and Noel Gallagher joined them on stage for it .....you have to be careful , I'm sure that clip could break internet if its viewed to many times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

ended up at a blur gig by mistake back in the day... great gig from what I remember....the rds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭CPTM

Oasis had way more superior songs! There should be a poll here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,353 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Funny to realise that those with an opinion on the matter are probably several decades older than I was at the time, wondering what all the fuss about these two new-fangled and, to my ears, decidedly average bands, was about. An ageing thread.

I’ll go with blur. At least they were a bit original.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I'd pick Oasis even though Blur had a lot more variety. I think the first two albums by Oasis are better than anything Blur ever put out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I cringe every time I see this question, or every time they use the footage in some BBC4 music documentary. The whole premise that you had to choose was, at the time, awful to the average indie kid.
    This was the pinacle of indie finally becoming mainstream, and because it was mainstream suddenly there had to be a battle as to who was the best - whose side you were on. Were you an arty London sort, or were you a working class northern "lad". Honestly - how boring.
    If, two years before that, you had, say, both Suede and Pulp, for example both destined to be the top two on TOTP, as an indie kid it would have been celebrated as a great achievement.
    But no, we had to choose between, frankly, two of the s*ittiest songs either band had released.

And still the question lives on. Ugh.

Anyway, the answer is obviously Blur. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Dexter2019

CPTM wrote: »
    Oasis had way more superior songs!

In what context?

Dexter2019 wrote: »
    In what context?

In the sense that blur had less than 10 hit songs that anyone remembers, but oasis had.. dare I say.. more than 20 hit songs that everyone remembers, and remembers all the lyrics to?

Edit: "Everyone" has a loose definition here..

Here's 17 that come to mind straight away without thinking too hard. I challenge anyone to put together a set list of blur songs that would be more entertaining than this.

Don't look back in anger
    Champagne Supernova
    Wonderwall
    Cast no shadow
    Cigarettes and Alcohol
    All around the world
    She's electric
    Some might say
    Rock and Roll star
    Slide away
    Talk tonight
    The master plan
    Roll with it
    Live forever
    Little by little
    What's the story morning glory
    Hey Now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Dexter2019

That's a fair point, that's why I asked in what context, as i wasn't sure what you meant.

I would say musically, blurs music is far superior in the sense that its more creative and more complex.
    Oasis tunes were pretty simple, but also very effective, evidently.

Blur for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

Fr. Damien your tea is ready!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Relikk

Blur were a much better band, creatively, than Oasis were. By quite a margin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Looking at their whole careers - Blur, much more consistent and better albums.

But Oasis had better B-Sides. The 1994-1998 era is full of gems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,408 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

tototoe wrote: »
    1995 called, looking for its thread back

Oh I wish it was 1995 again
    What a brilliant time for music

Anyone who was at Glastonbury on the Sunday in 1994 had this as the lineup on the NME stage
    Spiritualized
    Blur
    Radiohead
    Inspiral Carpets
    Pulp
    Chumbawamba
    Credit to the Nation
    Oasis
    Echobelly
    Tiny Monroe
    Rub Ultra
    Burning Glass

I mean seriously ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Here's 17 that come to mind straight away without thinking too hard. I challenge anyone to put together a set list of blur songs that would be more entertaining than this.

Don't look back in anger
    Champagne Supernova
    Wonderwall
    Cast no shadow
    Cigarettes and Alcohol
    All around the world
    She's electric
    Some might say
    Rock and Roll star
    Slide away
    Talk tonight
    The master plan
    Roll with it
    Live forever
    Little by little
    Hey Now

There are a few songs in there the average punter wouldn’t know, a few that even regular fans wouldn’t know the words to and a couple of decidedly average songs too.

Like both bands to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Neither.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

blur, more original more talented

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Don't look back in anger
    Champagne Supernova
    Wonderwall
    Cast no shadow
    Cigarettes and Alcohol
    All around the world
    She's electric
    Some might say
    Rock and Roll star
    Slide away
    Talk tonight
    The master plan
    Roll with it
    Live forever
    Little by little
    Hey Now
    Very subjective these but go on...

Stereotypes
    Song 2
    End Of A Century
    Lonesome Street
    Trouble In The Message Centre
    On Your Own
    Coffee & TV
    Entertain Me
    There's No Other Way
    Bettlebum
    Popscene
    It Could Be You
    For Tomorrow
    Tender
    Chemical World
    The Universal
    To The End

(The real answer is to the OP is Suede anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

Looking at their whole careers - Blur, much more consistent and better albums.

But Oasis had better B-Sides. The 1994-1998 era is full of gems.

I was listening to a bit of Oasis today and I think it was just their sound. It wasn't complicated but it worked and as a band they were relatable like they were just chancing their arm at it.

And I absolutely love their b-sides.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Oasis were on a whole different level live, listening to Columbia live 24 years ago blew me away.

Nothing wrong with Blur though, Parklife was wonderful but as I said before, Oasis wins it by a mile with the Live performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Don't look back in anger
    Champagne Supernova
    Wonderwall
    Cast no shadow
    Cigarettes and Alcohol
    All around the world
    She's electric
    Some might say
    Rock and Roll star
    Slide away
    Talk tonight
    The master plan
    Roll with it
    Live forever
    Little by little
    Hey Now
    You forgot fuc*in in the bushes
    Everyone knows it,they just don't know that they know it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I always thought oasis had more hits. In the 90"s i much preferred oasis (might have been a little biased, got my hands on plenty of vip tickets), blur just didn't have the same energy. It seemed like all the edgey guys and girls liked blur to be different.

Both are great bands though. I have to buy more blur albums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭GRACKEA

I have to say Blur. Oasis had some good songs and lyrics were definitely their strong point but a lot of their music was samey. Blur had way better range and as someone else said, originality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

It's a bit like comparing The Beatles and the Rolling Stones all over again though, isn't it? Apples and oranges. The Beatles were the ones who were ultimately more creative and groundbreaking than the Stones but both were good at what they did. They were different sorts of bands though.

Oasis were a more straightforward sort of band while Blur took some unusual meanders. Both are fine but I prefer Pulp :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 KGC

GRACKEA wrote: »
    I have to say Blur. Oasis had some good songs and lyrics were definitely their strong point but a lot of their music was samey. Blur had way better range and as someone else said, originality.

Oasis' peak moments (94 - 96) were probably higher but over career Blur were more creative.....although Noel has branched out a bit in the last few year.
    Never would say lyrics were Oasis strong point though.
    Two top bands though!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

(The real answer is to the OP is Suede anyway)

A hundred times this.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭allap

I would say overall Oasis. Plus I like Noel Gallagher's solo stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Blur were much more creative and original than Oasis.

Compare Parklife to Think Tank. They were continually reinventing their sound.

I saw Blur in McGonagles in 1991, one of the first gigs I was at. Damon Albarn hanging upside down from the ceiling while singing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Parklife was like a novelty song.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭firemansam4

For me it was Oasis.

Listening to the radio over the last year I have heard several oasis classics being played, but I can't remember the last time I heard a blur song.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭pjdarcy

It's a bit like comparing The Beatles and the Rolling Stones all over again though, isn't it? Apples and oranges. The Beatles were the ones who were ultimately more creative and groundbreaking than the Stones but both were good at what they did. They were different sorts of bands though.

Yeah but Keith Richards is in The Stones and everyone knows that he's the coolest man in the world. Also, somewhat selfishly, The Beatles keep dying whereas The Stones appear to be immortal :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I like both but think Suede is better.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Oasis never had an album as good as Parklife or 13 (as much as I loved definitely maybe) and Blur never had an album as bad as Standing on the Shoulders of Giants.

Graham Coxon is a better guitar player than Noel and and Damon's a better songwriter.

Radiohead are better than both though

I'd say they hate being asked about it still...well maybe not Noel Gallagher so much :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

marketty wrote: »
    Fr. Damien your tea is ready!!

I'll be in in a minah (swoosh hair)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I was always Oasis, even if they turned to sh1t after Be Here Now.

Mixed Blur better songs more variation in style layered lyrics - but no umph and bite

Oasis - one trick ponies - Noel Gallagher had no one to push him to keep the writing standard up after two albums.
    He admits himself that he felt like he 'wrote about all he had to say at that point.
    He had no inspiration, no motivation.
    Plenty of umph and bite in the band though.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Weepsie wrote: »
    Oasis never had an album as good as Parklife or 13 (as much as I loved definitely maybe) and Blur never had an album as bad as Standing on the Shoulders of Giants.

Graham Coxon is a better guitar player than Noel and and Damon's a better songwriter.

Radiohead are better than both though

Radiohead are great funeral music so much joy and hope in thier songs....

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Radiohead were in their own class. You wouldn't even think to compare.

I'd say it annoyed Blur to be associated with Oasis and Oasis just played on it more with the media and hype of it. I think they are both good and very different bands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,259 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Definitely Northern Uproar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

At the time (early 90's), I was all about Oasis, loved them. Now though, the Blur music from then sounds better than ever. "For Tomorrow", "There's no Other Way", are stunning songs that I never tire of listening to, while I absolutely never listen to Oasis; their music brings back fantastic memories, but it doesn't sound as good this time round. Also, in hindsight, Albarn was a budding genius, the Gallaghers were just charismatic scowly one trick ponies.

Pulp were just rubbish.

• Advertisement
Advertisement