Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gloryhammer

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

had the girlfriend blasting this song out the other day, it's cheesy-riffic! :p

and yeah, it's Chris Bowes from Alestorm on keyboards

• Registered Users Posts: 13,832 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Wow, bringing up an old thread, and didn't realise I started it, but their 3rd album, Legends from Beyond the Galactic Terrorvortex, has dropped today. More epic awesomeness. It's allegedly the end of the saga, but the last song has morse code from an incoming message from the year 1022, so as soon as I can find someone to translate it, I reckon there'll be a 4th!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Waiting for the vinyl to arrive, looking forward to the gig here in October as well.

Ditto, bought the tickets the day they went on sale. Epic enough album, not a single bad song on it imo.

Been listening to it non-stop since it came out. It really is brilliant. Torn between Land of Unicorns and Hootsforce as the best songs at the mo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

After reading about them here, gave them a listen and instant love!

Thanks OP :D:D

Convinced the BF to come along to the gig with me later in the year :):)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Listening to this for the first time this evening, Chris Bowes is a f*cking genius, where does he pull this stuff from?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

I see 5/8 shows for the October tour are sold out, Dublin one of the 3 that isn't.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

That was a great gig, the cardboard cutout of Tom Jones at the start was interesting :D

Given how CB only showed up at the end of the first song I thought he wasn't there at all, my expectations weren't high going in but I was blown away by them, some great guitar work and a crowd that were really into it, no talking and very little in and out to the bar, great setlist too, thought they'd finish with one of those epic 10 minute tracks they keep till last on the albums.

It's easy to dismiss them as a novelty act but there is some serious talent there, and they'd lift your mood after listening to them, the whole point of music.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭yknaa

Had to work late so missed this. Was there a decent turnout? Hope so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It was a really good show, I say it was about 90% full and it was refreshing not to see every second person with their phones out, I was really impressed by Beast In Black as I was not the biggest fan of any of their albums, they did well with not having Anton with them due to illness.

Beast in Black are pure cheese but I liked them, perfect to support Gloryhammer, they are made for Eurovision.

yknaa wrote: »
    Had to work late so missed this. Was there a decent turnout? Hope so.

Looks to have been healthy for sure going by some Downthebarrel pics I've seen on social, certainly more than Black Star Riders anyway who played there last week balcony was closed for them.

Pity I missed it stuck in work too myself but just have a number of other gigs coming up, Beast in Black are enjoyable cheese alright they could do with a keyboard player. Anton's former band Battle Beast are playing Dublin soon more enjoyable cheese although their last album was pretty rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Wasn't sold out which was nice because it made sure it wasn't crowded.

Good gig, Windy Rose was good fun too.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

FYI, another project of Mr. Bowes is this: https://asdfgfa.com/
    Kinda disturbing!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Some news today about GH!

Thomas Winkler has left, disappointing, not sure if the gig in December will go ahead anyway, suppose we'll find out in the next month or so.

Looking at his Instagram, seems like it was a falling out of some kind.

Yeah, the post on Facebook was cold. No good luck or thanks. Thomas gave a bit more detail, disagreements between creative works and decisions or something. He was told this via an email....

I wonder if it had anything to do with Winkler appearing as McFife in some other bands video recently...

Gloryhammer saying all gigs going ahead with a new singer. For as long as they're around, I always wanted to go to a Gloryhammer /Alestorm gig, and they decided to do it here with Covid still looming. That put me out of it anyway, but this news makes me feel better about not going. Unless the new singer is close to indistinguishable, Gloryhammer won't be the same.

Losing their lead singer appears to be the least of their worries. Bassist accused of sexual misconducts and at the same time a private group chat involving him and others in the group has been leaked and its very very problematic.

Yeah those messages looked pretty grim, hope they can be proven as false.

They did put out a statement last night saying they're looking into it, not sure I'd go to the concert in December if they are true though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

Pack of scumbags if this is true. Mysoginistic scum

New singer, sounds identical to Thomas, and looks like Chris, which is weird.

He appears to be very well trained, but it still sounds like someone trying to copy Thomas. I dunno. I can't say he's bad. It's just.... different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭Dartz

Huh,

That explains why I thought the singer was different last night and it seemed strange ---- he was different.

Also explains why Aether Realm weren't there and Bootyard bandits were. I don't follow news at all lately.

Was he any good? I know he'll never be Tomas, but I'm hearing he's far better live and better overall. I'd like to see him do a proper studio cover of the songs, so we can get a proper comparison.

Was at the gig, his voice seemed fairly low in the mix, but he is well suited to that type of music, will be interesting to hear studio recordings they do with him.

Also came to the realisation that it wasn't Chris that played keyboards during their 2019 show, another thin little fella with a beard, the hood up also helped to deceive me 😯

Was good to get out for a gig, they got it off just in time by the looks of things.

New song with Sozos coming out today.

It's... good. But it's just not the same. Will take a bit of getting used to his voice tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement