Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ethiopian Airlines Crash/ B737MAX grounding

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Aside from Boeings effots to get the Max back in the air has there been any roll back on the whole concept of out-sourcing certification to Boeing themselves? Surely the self certification process itself has been what caused all of this and if the FAA doesnt take back this function fully then no lessons will have been learnt and the potential for a similar failure in the future will still exist.

Its is obviously in Boeings interests to manufacture planes that are safe but that conflicts with their interest to cut costs at the same time. If Boeing is still able to self certify safety features then the conditions for this to happen all over again will still be there and given time something will go wrong again. Self certification is madness imo, especially in aviation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭trellheim

I do feel that given the handling and aerodynamic changes with the Max airframe that separate type certification should be called for.

That will come with huge cost implications for both Boeing and purchasing Airlines, but the software fix is not at all appropriate to the revised airframe.

I read recently that if they do a separate certification that the MAX can't then exist as its a grandfathered in certification off the original 737

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,933 ✭✭✭✭banie01

trellheim wrote: »
    I read recently that if they do a separate certification that the MAX can't then exist as its a grandfathered in certification off the original 737

It is, the MAX is intended to share a single type cert with the 737ng.

It's not that it can't exist if certified separately.
    Rather that a full flight test, envelope exploration and certification programme would be needed.
    It would no longer share the current single cockpit type rating with the rest of the 737 fleet.

The aircraft is hugely aerodynamically different from the Ng series and the sticking plaster approach of MCAS is IMO inherently unsuitable for the range of the flight envelope that Boeing applied it to, and that its application creep has undermined confidence in it.

Separate and new type certification is called for IMO as the difference between airframes is too prounounced and as its not a FBW airframe, reliance on a new software flight model isn't appropriate to the fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

banie01 wrote: »
    It is, the MAX is intended to share a single type cert with the 737ng.

It's not that it can't exist if certified separately.
    Rather that a full flight test, envelope exploration and certification programme would be needed.
    It would no longer share the current single cockpit type rating with the rest of the 737 fleet.

The aircraft is hugely aerodynamically different from the Ng series and the sticking plaster approach of MCAS is IMO inherently unsuitable for the range of the flight envelope that Boeing applied it to, and that its application creep has undermined confidence in it.

Separate and new type certification is called for IMO as the difference between airframes is too prounounced and as its not a FBW airframe, reliance on a new software flight model isn't appropriate to the fault.

You’d imagine Ryanair would be livid!

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    You’d imagine Ryanair would be livid!

Any Airline that bought Max on the basis of ease of replacement of legacy/NG 737s would be!
    The Max is pitched as economic cheap miles per seat with the added attraction of no new simulator, no extra pilot training costs and the option of seat swapping in the cockpit between NG-Max with no additional training needed.

The approach Boeing have taken in bringing this plane to market may well become one of those seminal decision making processes that becomes the example in future text books of how not to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Blut2

The approach Boeing have taken in bringing this plane to market may well become one of those seminal decision making processes that becomes the example in future text books of how not to do it.

Its a great example of how short term, accountant based, cost cutting can completely destroy long term value for a company. But we'll see if business schools actually decide to come to that conclusion or not, in the current short term share price obsessed market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Blut2 wrote: »
    Its a great example of how short term, accountant based, cost cutting can completely destroy long term value for a company. But we'll see if business schools actually decide to come to that conclusion or not, in the current short term share price obsessed market.

That's the interesting thing, Boeing shares are down less than 20% since the MAX issues came to light. You'd imagine that opening a can of worms like this on your biggest product, with unknown final cost, would spook investors much more. The fact that Airbus can't pick up the slack means that the MAX customers are basically captive until Boeing get it back in the air.

As an engineer, I'm horrified by what I read about this, but I wouldn't be surprised if the bean counters still got a return for cutting corners once this all plays out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

As an engineer, I'm horrified by what I read about this, but I wouldn't be surprised if the bean counters still got a return for cutting corners once this all plays out.

That's why we have punitive damages in tort cases - see the infamous Ford Pinto case:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimshaw_v._Ford_Motor_Co.

In an idealistic world any punitive damages awarded would cancel out carefully planned bean counting. I'm reminded of this cartoon in the US however (where costs are often not awarded against the losers of a case):

BgYc_c6IYAAiVgm.jpg

That's the interesting thing, Boeing shares are down less than 20% since the MAX issues came to light. You'd imagine that opening a can of worms like this on your biggest product, with unknown final cost, would spook investors much more. The fact that Airbus can't pick up the slack means that the MAX customers are basically captive until Boeing get it back in the air.

Its still too early for the full balance sheet damage (and resultant share price dip) to emerge, I think. We're only 90 odd days into the grounding at this stage. If the MAX stays grounded until January or longer as rumoured, and details of the (presumably steep) compensation they've had to pay airlines get out, I'd forsee a steeper drop in share price medium-term.

It is an awful shame Airbus can't pick up the slack though - thats really cushioning the blow for Boeing.

Blut2 wrote: »
    Its still too early for the full balance sheet damage (and resultant share price dip) to emerge, I think. We're only 90 odd days into the grounding at this stage. If the MAX stays grounded until January or longer as rumoured, and details of the (presumably steep) compensation they've had to pay airlines get out, I'd forsee a steeper drop in share price medium-term.

It is an awful shame Airbus can't pick up the slack though - thats really cushioning the blow for Boeing.

The issues with the KC-46 introduction and the delays due to poor QC and other issues along with the relatively unsuccessful military bids over the last few years have also yet to be priced in IMO.

Couple that with the US military starting to use a different maintenance model where other companies can bid to provide maintenance services and Boeing are facing erosion of even their safest cash flow streams.
    AAC have taken on a huge amount of P8 maintenance as well as becoming Southwest's preferred 737 maintenance provider.

It's not just with the Max that Boeing have dropped the ball, they are facing price competition across their maintenance and support services too that will erode their margins significantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

The issues with the KC-46 introduction and the delays due to poor QC and other issues along with the relatively unsuccessful military bids over the last few years have also yet to be priced in IMO.

Couple that with the US military starting to use a different maintenance model where other companies can bid to provide maintenance services and Boeing are facing erosion of even their safest cash flow streams.
    AAC have taken on a huge amount of P8 maintenance as well as becoming Southwest's preferred 737 maintenance provider.

It's not just with the Max that Boeing have dropped the ball, they are facing price competition across their maintenance and support services too that will erode their margins significantly.

And the temptation (for short-sighted CEOs whose pay packets are tied into quarterly returns not long term brand/company management [just guessing - open to correction if Boeing's CEO is given long term stock rather than salary/bonuses]) is that the company must cut costs to compete and so further corners are cut, maybe the safety margin etc. is trimmed back a little more etc. etc. etc.

If Boeing's reputation is shot to pieces in 10-15 years time the management will be long gone by then - the worst of neo-capitalism.

On the flipside - if something like the above does happen then hopefully some SpaceX/Tesla-like company can come along and produce a superior product - the best of neo-capitalism...

edit: added pithy image (if I do say so myself :P )

483488.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭not1but4

Okay this may sound like a stupid question but if the whole issue is around the fact the new bigger engines are too close the ground why didn't they lengthen the landing gear? Is it because this would have caused too much of a resign on the air frame to house the landing gear?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

not1but4 wrote: »
    Okay this may sound like a stupid question but if the whole issue is around the fact the new bigger engines are too close the ground why didn't they lengthen the landing gear? Is it because this would have caused too much of a resign on the air frame to house the landing gear?

I am nothing close to an engineer and not even an aviation enthusiast persay, but my guesses are as follows.
    1. A large increase in drag during take off reducing fuel efficiently significantly.
    2. Larger gear structure would be significantly heavier and require significantly stronger moters to raise and lower them.
    3. I guess longer gears are also less stable. Like a giraffes legs. The longer the gears the more torque that the physical breaks would cause at the fulcrum where the gear joins the plane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭basill

I imagine that lengthening the gear would mean they wouldn't retract into the bays. Any significant modification could go against the original type certificate requirements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

I posited this on the thread a while ago. It's been a constraint on the 737 since the -300 days, the engine had to be redesigned to be flatter and that has continued all the way through.

I'm sure there were a number of engineering solutions, perhaps asymmetric retraction of the main gear, but for whatever reason none were ever progressed. Maybe the extra height off the ground would mean issues with slides etc. I don't know.

I think the Max has a small cantilever main gear extension and the nose gear has been extended a couple of times over the generations.

I'd guess it's all about using the same basic fuselage to save money in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Look at a picture of a 737 belly with the gear retracted , notice there is very little space between the two wheels . If you want to have longer gear you got to move the gears outboard which mean a whole new wingbox design which in turn sets a chain reaction of other required fuselage and pylon and wing modifications. Might aswell design a whole new a/c at that stage but airlines want single type crew and engineers to keep costs low so we end up with a compromise Frankenstein , a half century old design with new tech shoehorned in to save money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

New problem identified with the MAX:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48752932

Flight sim with Stall Prevention System activated took longer than expected to recover. Might require a hardware fix due to processor overloading.
    Looks like they had insufficient margin for EIS.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭lfc200

Flight sim with Stall Prevention System activated took longer than expected to recover. Might require a hardware fix due to processor overloading.

Reading elsewhere online talks of between 1-3 month additional delays....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,544 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Can't see it returning to service this year now. They'll need to do a further production rate cut due to space surely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

L1011 wrote: »
    Can't see it returning to service this year now. They'll need to do a further production rate cut due to space surely?

I a also wondering: for those planes which are already built and ready to be delivered to airlines (bar whichever fixes are required on them), can airlines say at this stage that they don’t want to take delivery of the plane anymore and ask for the sales contracts to be void with no cost for their airline.

I realise that it would be a huge impact for the airline as they have certified pilots/staff lined up and future flights scheduled for these planes, and that Airbus can deliver extra A320s in the short term. But let’s stay yet another problem pops-up next months and it starts looking like there is no hope of the plane being allowed to fly in the airline’s target market well into next year. Eventually won’t some airlines get tired of waiting? (Or use the threat of full cancellation to coerce Boeing into paying huge compensations)

Any hope that Boeing and the FAA had left that they might get away with incurring any further taint from the shambles of the Max certification process is surely gone now?

I can't see any of the other regulatory authorities allowing a return to flight on the basis of the FAA process, and recertification by other bodies will be quite arduous and knowing the partisan nature of US politics, could descend into a tit for tat if Airbus encounter any issues.

That said, the EU don't tend to allow toothless regulation.
    I really think long-term the damage that Boeing will endure because of this may well push them into M&A territory to ensure the survive at least semi intact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,110 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I would think they might have to actually stop production. They are even having to park them in their car park.

Boeing-max-park.jpg

I think the market for NG's is going to get very competitive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

The fundamental issue is not about cancelling contracts for airlines - if they cancel the contract they will only be able to get on the end of the line for A320 neo’s. The industry is expanding rapidly but you can’t scale up production that rapidly, so Airbus can’t fulfil the orders. And it would be unwise for airbus to invest majorly in production facilities for what could be a 3-6 month delay. Even a 9-12 month delay for Boeing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

If a hardware change is required, expect many months of delays. In regulated products like this, hardware changes typically drive re-validation of all software that runs on it, not just the part that had an issue.

• Advertisement

If a hardware change is required, expect many months of delays. In regulated products like this, hardware changes typically drive re-validation of all software that runs on it, not just the part that had an issue.

Typically and rightfully so but I'd hazard a guess before these unfortunate events Boeing had FAA approval to do as they saw fit. Hopefully things have changed.

Airlines are starting to formalise the fact that the Max won’t be back in the air as early as they had originally expected, with more flight cancellations announced: https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/27/18761434/737-max-new-flaw-cancellation-extended-southwest-united-airlines-faa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Can aircraft be positioned elsewhere? I understand aircraft are grounded for commercial flights but are they still allowed fly?

The parking charges in some airports can't be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

No.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I think it depends on the country. Some may have imposed a complete grounding, some may ground commercial flights only and allow test flights.

• Advertisement

US allows test and positioning, Boeing have been moving new builds and some airlines centralised their grounded frames to cheaper and more climatically suitable storage airports like Victorville

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

kmart6 wrote: »
    Can aircraft be positioned elsewhere? I understand aircraft are grounded for commercial flights but are they still allowed fly?

The parking charges in some airports can't be great.
    No.

As L1011 stated the FAA allows ferry and test flights.

The EASA allows any non commercial flights (it was initially limited to a single ferry flight up to 3 cycles to a place where corrective action could be carried out - but since amended) once there is a permit to fly issued under Part 21 of the Initial Airworthiness Directive.

SE-RTB was undertaking a Malaga-Stockholm ferry on the 11th (only to be denied entry to German airspace), subsequently diverting to Paris Vatry.

Based on the pictures, they could also probably fit twice as many planes on their storage area if they packed them tighter (would be a fun large scale puzzle game to try to optimise the positioning to pack as many as possible on a given surface area :-)).

It would be messy and probably make it very hard to access/deliver the planes which are in the middle before the ones on the edges have been taken care of, but I guess if they have no other choice ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭HTCOne

GM228 wrote: »
    As L1011 stated the FAA allows ferry and test flights.

The EASA allows any non commercial flights (it was initially limited to a single ferry flight up to 3 cycles to a place where corrective action could be carried out - but since amended) once there is a permit to fly issued under Part 21 of the Initial Airworthiness Directive.

SE-RTB was undertaking a Malaga-Stockholm ferry on the 11th (only to be denied entry to German airspace), subsequently diverting to Paris Vatry.

The restriction is the aircraft must be flown below FL210 IIRC at flaps 1 (MCAS only activates when clean) so that aircraft would have been guzzling fuel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

HTCOne wrote: »
    The restriction is the aircraft must be flown below FL210 IIRC at flaps 1 (MCAS only activates when clean) so that aircraft would have been guzzling fuel.

Interesting, so a max speed of no more than around 200kn I assume.

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/boeing-aerospace/federal-prosecutors-issue-subpoena-for-boeing-787-dreamliner-records/
    Federal prosecutors have subpoenaed records from Boeing relating to the production of the 787 Dreamliner in South Carolina, where there have been allegations of shoddy work, according to two sources familiar with the investigation.

I presume with the 787 having been in the air, relatively trouble free apart from the 2013 battery issues, since 2011 there won't be much to find here in terms of new problems. But its still not a good look for Boeing.

Will EASA now be looking more closely at Airbus in light of this?

Will EASA now be looking more closely at Airbus in light of this?

Airbus don't self certify, the regulatory model and enforcement in Europe is night and day different.

I know they don't, but will events at Boeing cause EASA to look more closely into some practices here in Europe? I see that there a spotlight being shone on Indian subcontractors undertaking software work for Boeing.

In terms of volume, it is difficult to compete with them in terms of cost and the number of bodies they can throw at the work. However, there are issues with quality and the only thing we can do to compete is market ourselves as high integrity, capable engineers and focus on the technically challenging work, whilst they perform the menial tasks.

That being said, it is very disingenuous to label all the Indian engineers are low quality. They have some highly capable engineers out there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭HTCOne

I think, with Airbus, ATR, Leonardo, Dassault, Pilatus etc there’s a greater number of OEM’s in Europe, therefore there’s not the issue of those inspecting and regulating being solely reliant on one company (Boeing) for their jobs.

Then I think most crucially there’s the fact Airbus is spread across a number of different countries each with their own totally independent regulatory bodies, each independently inspecting, regulating and certifying the various elements of the business under their respective purview. These processes, certifications etc are then audited by EASA both on a scheduled and random basis, eg they’ll audit top to bottom every 2 years but can (& do) turn up unannounced at random to audit one part or the entirety of the regulator.

Also, Airbus has nowhere near the lobbying power in Europe that Boeing does in the US. In Germany, France, and to a lesser extent UK, Spain and Italy maybe, but most of the bloc has little interest or stake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Europe weights in on the 737 Max's woes and adds an Autopilot issue to the list:

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2019-07-05/europe-sets-out-demands-for-boeing-before-max-can-fly-again

Boeing loses order for 30 with additional option for 20 from Flyadeal, the low-cost airline Saudi Arabian airline. They will switch to Airbus A320's.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-48899588

Don't know where in the firing order those were, but losing close in sales now isn't as much of a loss as it seems because of the huge production backlog. Can get frames out to those who held on quicker

Don't know where in the firing order those were, but losing close in sales now isn't as much of a loss as it seems because of the huge production backlog. Can get frames out to those who held on quicker

Aye at the end of the day the world needs both planes and the backlogs are nearly a decade long, so nothing much will change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Inquitus wrote: »
    Boeing loses order for 30 with additional option for 20 from Flyadeal, the low-cost airline Saudi Arabian airline. They will switch to Airbus A320's.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-48899588

No matter what the backlog, that's a punch in the face to Boeing, the loss of a new carrier and a market to sell the 737 to along with any maintenance and upgrade warranties..

Going to Airbus isn't going to help them get planes in the air any quicker with the backlog they have also...unless they plan on buying older models or paying to get up the order book list quicker than other carriers..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭john boye

It seems like the order was never firmed up so not strictly a loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Can anyone point me to a website that is tracking all the cancelled orders? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Can anyone point me to a website that is tracking all the cancelled orders? Thanks.

Garuda Indonesia received 1 and cancelled the other 39 in March, 2019.

Flyadeal also cancelled 50 in the last 24 hours.

That's about 10 billion dollars for those lost orders so far.

Here is a graph showing delivery (green) and awaited orders.

3e3209f9629eae0788c063b8df1ec969.png

And here is a list of all airlines and when they ordered etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Boeing_737_MAX_orders_and_deliveries

STB. wrote: »
    Here is a graph showing delivery (green) and awaited orders.

Very few European airlines on that list. Is it that they just don’t buy many planes in general at the moment, or they don’t like that specific one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭Damien360

Bob24 wrote: »
    Very few European airlines on that list. Is it that they just don’t buy many planes in general at the moment, or they don’t like that specific one?

I'm more surprised that Lion Air is still awaiting delivery of any orders. I thought they would be first to cancel.

Advertisement