Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fox Cub died in my Garden

Options
  • 23-06-2019 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

I had a strange one yesterday, was going out to cut the grass and as usual there were two fox cubs sunning themselves on the lawn. I clapped my hands to run them off and one duly did. The other one was on it's side as I approached, I thought it was being cheeky but as I got close I saw it was in distress, it looked like it was either struggling for breath or having a fit, very rapid breathing with a front and back leg kicking out in spasm.

I didn't know what to do and as I stood there I could see it's breathing getting shallower and then it stopped. This all happened within a couple of minutes.

I did initially think it was having a fit, but thinking about it overnight I'm wondering if it may have been poisoned.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas, plus I've no idea what should be done in a situation like that, do you try to intervene ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭janmaree

It doesn't sound like you had a chance to intervene so please don't beat yourself up over what you couldn't change. It's a really tough situation to be in and you could consider yourself lucky that they chose your garden to spend time in but unlucky to have to witness the hard side of life as a wild animal. They come into our garden too and we feed them when we see them but they're ultimately on their own and none of us can change that. The best you can do for that cub is find a quiet spot in the garden to bury him and know that you did your best for him. Well done for caring so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Would it be worthwhile letting your neighbours know in case someone is putting down poison and a pet could ingest it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

shar01 wrote: »
    Would it be worthwhile letting your neighbours know in case someone is putting down poison and a pet could ingest it.

That concerns me too. Maybe call a vet who can do a pm and check for toxins.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Etc

shar01 wrote: »

I'll mention it to the neighbours, I know my immediate one's are very relaxed about the foxes too, we get cubs every year so it's not new for us.

Advertisement