Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inheritance - Aunt v Great Aunt

Options
  • 22-06-2019 6:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi All

I have looked online and can’t see to get an answer my question...

My great aunt passed away last year. She left her estate to my dad, his brother (nephews) and myself (great niece).

I can see that my dad and uncle fall into Group B, but I can’t seem to distinguish which group I fall into. I understand that I am only a great niece, so my gut is telling me it’s Group C. However I can’t understand how I’d fall into the same bracket as someone who was no relation whatsoever to my aunt.

Obviously there is a big tax liability between the two. Based on the inheritance amount, with Group B, I’d pay only a small amount of tax. Whereas with Grouo C, a very sizeable chunk of the overall inheritance would be payable.

Can anyone advise which group I fall into?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Chubowsks wrote: »
    Hi All

I have looked online and can’t see to get an answer my question...

My great aunt passed away last year. She left her estate to my dad, his brother (nephews) and myself (great niece).

I can see that my dad and uncle fall into Group B, but I can’t seem to distinguish which group I fall into. I understand that I am only a great niece, so my gut is telling me it’s Group C. However I can’t understand how I’d fall into the same bracket as someone who was no relation whatsoever to my aunt.

Obviously there is a big tax liability between the two. Based on the inheritance amount, with Group B, I’d pay only a small amount of tax. Whereas with Grouo C, a very sizeable chunk of the overall inheritance would be payable.

Can anyone advise which group I fall into?

Thanks in advance

Youre in Group C.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,214 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

As above, look at it from the perspective that if you are not in A or B, then you are with the great unwashed in C :)

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Chubowsks

Thanks all

Not the answer I’d hoped for, but the one I expected 😪

Advertisement