Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Royal Ascot, Day 1 18/06/2019

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Lord Glitters won the Queen Anne Stakes in the 4th fastest time of the last 36 runnings.
    And they give the ground as good, good to soft in places (round course).

We had the farce of Epsom of good/firm (if you look at the RP results), although on the day I swear they gave it as good, good to firm in places.

No point in going descriptions if they always give them as good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Well Of Wisdom 16-1
    Really like this one to place at least. Had trouble in running last time out, so probably reflected in price, but I think it can go close.

Golden Horde 20 at 60s for an interest.
    We might learn from the time of the race the real ground conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭SonOfGoat

Big gamble on Arizona. I've had a heavy lay @ 3.2'ish

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

Lord Glitters won the Queen Anne Stakes in the 4th fastest time of the last 36 runnings.
    And they give the ground as good, good to soft in places (round course).

We had the farce of Epsom of good/firm (if you look at the RP results), although on the day I swear they gave it as good, good to firm in places.

No point in going descriptions if they always give them as good.

Queen Anne is run on the straight course. Which they have said is on the quick side of good.

The lads mean business when they come for one late!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

That was pretty impressive considering he was being scrubbed along after a furlong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Hoping for a Battash show next . Not a bet .

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Micko99

Blue point in the 3rd race is nap of the meeting

• Advertisement

He seems to have handled the preliminaries quite well anyway.

Mabs Cross for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

Two years in a row Crowley has had questionable rides in this race

Cracker of a race

Super race. Loves Ascot does Blue Point!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Was on Blue Point as mentioned above but after that my only thoughts are what kind of ride that was on Battash? Looked like he was being restrained after a furlong or so??

• Advertisement

I think Battaash had to use up too much juice to get to the main group.

I was on Battash and i really dont see the problem with the ride.

Was ridden exactly how they said they would ride him. Try to get early cover and let him off after 2/3furlongs.
    Not exactly his fault that he followed a horse and everything else tracked over to the other group.

Just one of those things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

If Ryan Moore did what Crowley just did there would be 3 pages of abuse on here, myself incl!
    Disgusting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Still think Battash the better/quicker horse

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Tomw86

I thought it was a poor ride, should have been a lot closer to the winner 2 furlongs out!

He didn't really seem to pick up though and the winner kept on galloping all the way.

• Advertisement

King Of Comedy for me in the St James's Palace Stakes at 7s.
    Phoenix Of Spain is a fine big horse, has the form, but might take time to get going. He appears to have run chiefly on very straight galloping tracks.
    I just do not like Too Darn Hot. He might be a 7f horse. If he doesn't win here he will be known as a good 2yo only.
    I also have a small antepost bet on Fox Champion at 40s. Worryingly he has made all to win in his last three races.

How do people want him to ride the horse? He went off like a scalded cat last year with no cover and was nutted in the last furlong.

This time he tried to get cover and do something different. The horse has been beaten by 1 horse in 2 runnings of the race on a track that definitely doesnt play to his strengths.
    The ride was absolutely fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Wow didn't see that result coming. O'Brien will clean up this week.

The ground will be rotten for tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭WicklowBrave

Really interesting body language between Moore and O’Brien there. You don’t often see that between them, they enjoyed that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

How do people want him to ride the horse? He went off like a scalded cat last year with no cover and was nutted in the last furlong.

This time he tried to get cover and do something different. The horse has been beaten by 1 horse in 2 runnings of the race on a track that definitely doesnt play to his strengths.
    The ride was absolutely fine.

Agree with all of that. What we forget is he is favourite and therefore should win and its always the jockeys fault if they dont. :rolleyes:

Really interesting body language between Moore and O’Brien there. You don’t often see that between them, they enjoyed that one.

A real case of things working out perfectly. O brien made the call to suplement and then Moore pulls out a masterclass of a ride.

Still think Battash the better/quicker horse

Hard to see it. He had been beaten by the same horse over the same trip with 2 completely different rides. He only wins over 4 furlongs against blue point, unfortunately.

Actually they should let him slide , hell with the Epson Dash of any mark..

Hadn't looked at this race enough , but just realised that Time to Study might just dance in here. Rain will help, has course form etc. My own pick is a non runner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Mostly Harmless

Thought Snow Falcon would go well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

A real case of things working out perfectly. O brien made the call to suplement and then Moore pulls out a masterclass of a ride.

According to O'Brien it was someone called Maria? and the Lads who decided on this plan leaving him a bit bemused.

Also. Ryan's ride was smashing, I often give out loads about him but that was damn good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Mostly Harmless

tryfix wrote: »
    According to O'Brien it was someone called Maria? and the Lads who decided on this plan leaving him a bit bemused.

Also. Ryan's ride was smashing, I often give out loads about him but that was damn good.
    Maria Niarchos

aidankkk wrote: »
    Hard to see it. He had been beaten by the same horse over the same trip with 2 completely different rides. He only wins over 4 furlongs against blue point, unfortunately.

Actually they should let him slide , hell with the Epson Dash of any mark..

I couldn't understand why all the hype from ITV racing before the race. It was Battaash this and Battaash that with endless shots of him. It's not like he was some unbeaten Champ like Black Caviar. The horse was beaten in 3 out of 5 runs last year, with two 4th place finishes to his year.:confused:

Cant not back Latrobe at 8/1. Joey proving to be a great target trainer and a for Irish Derby winner surely could be a class apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Surely ground is gone to the softer side? Will be on Adeybb - he has lost me a fair bit since his win last year. Looking to lose more on him now I guess

Stroking the ego of the owners daughter i suspect :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Hazapour
    Too Darn Hot

My only two bets for the day due to lack of flat knowledge :(

I'll stick to the Jumps....

FatRat wrote: »
    Surely ground is gone to the softer side? Will be on Adeybb - he has lost me a fair bit since his win last year. Looking to lose more on him now I guess

Pissed in. Nice 1

Too Darn What?

Had Gosden anything to say about the performance? Frankie was inclined to think he didn't see out the stiff Ascot Mile but that was probably more to do with his not being good enough over a mile and the new tactics of having him so close to the pace early on. He was fairly lit early on and Frankie had a job restraining him today.

Now that his bubble is burst he could come good in the Autumn if he gets a bit of rest between now and then. Very few 3yo Dubawis make the grade in the Summer races, but they often bounce back in the Autumn.

Good job I had to be at the vet at 17:00 to collect the dog.
    I could have backed another couple of losers. :)

• Advertisement

Too Darn What?
    I am always wary of a horse with a catchy name, the public latch on to him.
    You could probably get 16/1 on a horse with the same ability named My Brown Skidmark. :rolleyes:
    Too Darn Hot looks like a 7f Group 2 would be his level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,923 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

poor run by phoenix cost me a nice bit, too bad to be true surely.

fancied him more than the other two I picked also :confused:

Have had fair few bets (for me) today
    Queen Anne: Dutched Lord Glitters @20/(1 point) and Romanised @33/1(1 point)
    King Stand: Battash @9/4(2 points)
    St James Palace: Phoenix of Spain @9/4(4 points)
    Wolferton: Willie John @9/1(1 point), very small bets on Zihba @130(.25 points) and Mountain Hunter @150(.25 points) on Betfair.

*Will see if i can turn a profit over the week so will added points beside selections above to give people a rough idea of bet sizing.
    There will be each way bets but ones i can get on today nothing really doing on the each way front from me.

Staked: 9.5 points

Pretty dissapointing that I couldn't get one of the 2 short ones in after the start. But happy enough with the winner.

Staked: 9.5
    Returned: 21
    P/L: +11.5

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Circus maximus was the most annoying thing that has ever happened ever.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Circus maximus was the most annoying thing that has ever happened ever.
    I backed him in the Derby.

Advertisement