Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bird ID Please

Options
  • 06-06-2019 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭

This chap has been showing up around the garden over the past week or so. My hunch is he's a juvenile Goldfinch but he looks bigger and not like any pictures of them on Google. Has a striking red face and orange breast.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Fred; I reckon what ye've got there is a Goldfinch Mule. That's a Goldfinch crossed with a Canary. People do that for their song. Just so happens I have one myself! :)

Here he is, my little mate, " Goldie ". There's variation in their exact look. Someone's lost that one.

P6060411tn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Stigura wrote: »
    Fred; I reckon what ye've got there is a Goldfinch Mule. That's a Goldfinch crossed with a Canary. People do that for their song. Just so happens I have one myself! :)

Here he is, my little mate, " Goldie ". There's variation in their exact look. Someone's lost that one.

P6060411tn.jpg

Hi Stigura,

Yes, possibly but I'm not sure. I have a lot of Goldfinches around the feeders too but as I said earlier, it didn't look like any pictures I found on Google. Nice looking bird all the same.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,152 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'm almost 100% certain it's a goldfinch based on the red around the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭corks finest

This chap has been showing up around the garden over the past week or so. My hunch is he's a juvenile Goldfinch but he looks bigger and not like any pictures of them on Google. Has a striking red face and orange breast.
    yes young gf

Thanks folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭11James11

As Stigura said its some type of a goldfinch mule I have seen a few before mixed in with other finches they usually have plastic rings on their legs.I wounder how well they survive in the wild ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

11James11 wrote: »
    As Stigura said its some type of a goldfinch mule I have seen a few before mixed in with other finches they usually have plastic rings on their legs.I wounder how well they survive in the wild ?

That bird is a juvenile Goldfinch and definitely not a mule.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭11James11

No juvenile goldfinch would have such a bright red face so early in the summer .Its a mule :)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Ulmus

No juvenile goldfinch would have such a bright red face so early in the summer .Its a mule :)

I think you're correct. Any young goldfinch I've seen so far at my bird feeder doesn't have the red face.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭corks finest

Correct 100 pc I've them in my garden for years until I stopped feeding them( mice)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

It would hardly be a mule in the wild? I have lots of goldfinches and that looks like a juvenile to me too - the red face starts coming as they grow, sometimes they can look quite scrappy - but keep an eye out there are probably more mature and other young ones hanging around.

Edit to add: when I say I have lots I mean in my garden - can't abide birds being caged.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,152 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It's a bit of a lottery whether they have the red face or not going by the juvenile's I've seen at my feeder so I wouldn't say it's a definite indication of it being a mule. Wouldn't rule it out either of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

What you have op is a juvenile redpoll ,Srameen I am afraid your wrong ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Snowc wrote: »
    What you have op is a juvenile redpoll ,Srameen I am afraid your wrong ;)

It is 100% not a juvenile Redpoll.

Ok. I now definitely have several juvenile Goldfinches around the feeders. They are nothing like the bird in the first post and have little or no red on their heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

I believe " Open Your Eyes " is a Ringer? Ringer would know a Goldfinch, at any stage or gender.

What say you, Open Your Eyes?

Them Coverts say " Goldfinch " to you?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Stigura wrote: »
    I believe " Open Your Eyes " is a Ringer? Ringer would know a Goldfinch, at any stage or gender.

What say you, Open Your Eyes?

Them Coverts say " Goldfinch " to you?

Red on the face says adult Goldfinch, rest of the body is very washed out - hard to tell if it's leucism or crossed with something else, but I'd be inclined to suggest the latter!

Advertisement