Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Now ye're talking - to Christmas FM!

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Always thought it was?
    Good King Wenceslas looked out
    On the Feast of Stephen

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

How about East 17 Stay Another Day, or Frankie Goes To Hollywood, The Power Of Love... or Die Hard

• Company Representative Posts: 80 Verified rep ChristmasFM: Ronan

Cool thread,

Its not directly related but I've always been curious how song royalties work - if you play a song how much of a royalty is paid? Who monitors how many times a day you play it etc or is it self regulated? I'm assuming radio stations pay chunks of royalties at various intervals instead of daily etc.. does everyone pay the same rate?

Apologies if off topic.

Thanks,
    Mick

I don't look after this area in the station but as far as i'm aware there is a license to be on air to the PPI and IMRO, as do all businesses when a radio or any music player is present. So if you have a radio in work or listen to youtube, your employer will be contributing to the songwriters and artists.

http://www.ppimusic.ie/about-ppi/what-is-ppi

"PPI controls the public performance, broadcasting, and other rights in hundreds of thousands of recordings on thousands of different labels. These include not only Irish recordings but also most recordings available worldwide. The list of recordings in PPI’s repertoire is constantly increasing as new titles are released. A licence from PPI gives you the right to play virtually any sound recording from anywhere in the world."

Do you play....

Best to listen in and find out that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

Folks, can we get back to asking Ronan questions about working on the station rather than opinions on what song(s) are or are not on the playlist? As he has already said, he has no influence over the stations playlist. Thanks.

'Boards ask me anything'- except uncomfortable questions that I don't want to answer.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I’ve just discovered the Christmas FM Classical station on the app - after listening to a fab rendition of O Holy Night and a piece from The Nutcracker (I think the Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy?) I think I’ll definitely be tuning into this more frequently! Are the other stations broadcast on the radio somewhere along with the main station, or is it just an app/online thing?

'Boards ask me anything'- except uncomfortable questions that I don't want to answer.

Ah where would boards be without it's keyboard warriors. No that's not the case that any questions have been uncomfortable... But I'm not gonna pretend I know everything about the station when I don't or take credit for other peoples work that look after aspects of the Radio station. For example that last answer on PPI I had to Google and as the poster mentioned it doesn't relate directly to what its like being a presenter on this specific station.

I'm also, as mentioned before, not going to spend my time phoning up people and asking them to looking up playlists for individual songs or publicly discuss the merits of a decision someone else on the team made. I just don't have that sort of free time, nor do the people i'd need to call. And what's the point - if the person asking was a regular listener they'd know if they'd heard it before or not? These are easy questions to ask, kind of unimportant and take a lot more time to answer than ask.

Scarinae wrote: »
    I’ve just discovered the Christmas FM Classical station on the app - after listening to a fab rendition of O Holy Night and a piece from The Nutcracker (I think the Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy?) I think I’ll definitely be tuning into this more frequently! Are the other stations broadcast on the radio somewhere along with the main station, or is it just an app/online thing?

Just the main Christmas FM gets the FM license as these are very hard to get and highly contested. The rest are available on DAB radio and via streaming.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

I'm going to close this one up now too. Thanks a million to Ronan for taking the time to answer so many questions - I feel like we all know a bit more about Christmas FM now!

Don't forget that their charity partner this year is Temple Street Children's Hospital. To donate, tune in to Christmas FM and text the station with your request. All texts cost €2 which is donated to the charity. Alternatively you can donate on the Christmas FM website here.

You can find your local frequency for radio here or listen online here.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement