Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quitting Smoking 17

• 12-07-2014 1:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

Well ive been smoking nearly a year now and im not 17 started at 16,I have been constantly stopping for a week ,then on and off for the last 4 months :mad: I am a heavy smoker when im smoking.7 or 8 a day or so in school and over 10 at friends..

My down fall is smoking at parties gets me going again

My e cigs brilliant but need to order new bits....ive been off fags 3 days now and just coping

The parents are onto me and just about getting by without getting caught in school...i always stink of fags and im not gona push my luck any futher.

My question is if im giving this time a huge push to stop should i no smoke for a certain amount of time and smoke at parties or stay off em altogether?

Any advice this is the time im stopping i hope :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

Well, as you know, every cigarette is a chance to fall back into your old ways. That said everyone is different. I have found that not having ANY and having NO EXCUSES is what works for me. Anytime I've "just had one" it's been about 1,000 in reality. If you do crack at a party or whatever, remember it's not the end of the world or a reason to continue smoking. Just chalk it down to experience and avoid smoking. There's a vaping and Ecigarettes forum here that might be worth looking into since you are using one already.

Best of luck, NOW is the time to stop and it does get harder as time goes by!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I reckon I spent around €100,000 on cigarettes over the years before I quit. Didn't care when I smoked but really wish I'd never started now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

Thanks,

I may buy 4 or 5 box for parties only and give the left overs to people the next morning ill be grand if i stick to dat and not really a smoker then

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭oppiuy

Hi,

That last statement of yours should tell you that you are already a smoker and addicted to nicoteen.

You need to stop now why your young and you dont damage your body any further

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I can't figure out how young people start smoking nowadays with the dangers and addiction of smoking widely known :confused:

• Advertisement

Boarding School enough sed :/

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Perkinstock

You should quit now, while you are young, the younger you are when you stop smoking the lower your risk of cancer in your life.

Already over a week no e cig or nothing,challenge will be when im back to school

Just over 2 now still hard.

I dunno if im gona last in school in a months time if i start again ill never stop.

I may totally avoid smokers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

1shot16 wrote: »
    Just over 2 now still hard.

I dunno if im gona last in school in a months time if i start again ill never stop.

I may totally avoid smokers

Good lad. Avoid smokers if you can deffo. In a couple of months you can
    stand beside them and not give a shíte!

With inflation you'll easily spend over half a million euro on smokes if you smoke for life.
    You wanna hand that over to a cigarette company or spend it on cars, chix, and other
    stuff to enjoy your life with. Not a slow 6 month cancer death age 40.;)

• Advertisement

Couple of months :o ...thing is nearly everyone smokes...

My plan is smoke the e cig...then i might get more addicted to nicotine...but ill get 0 nicotine!!

Then i shouldnt be too bad off!!!

My friend was smoking was longer than me 4 years he gave em up and im only a year and i cant....

I have tried 10 times in the last year going anywhere from a few days to a week hes given up on me i feel hes inspired me to quit this time if hes able i should be able to!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭ChalyIE

If you can't stop smoking at the moment, and I know how hard this could be, I think e-cig with 0 or a small amount of nicotine is the best alternative.
    Or search for a girlfriend who is a non-smoker - that helps a lot ;)

Hmm thats a hard one coz most of dem smoke :P

Ill try :D

I have the same at work, most of the people are smokers. I would have had no chance without e-cig because I was smoking for 34 years and 1 package per day was the minimum.

All fingers are crossed for you.

Thanks man im getting 5 tops and 5 liquids so i dont get sick of the same liquid....i also have a spare battery incase the other dies on me!

Another thing e cigs are banned in my school dont ask me why... everyone who is trying to quit goes into the toilets and the smoke is unreal haha....we used to hot box dorms to 10 people teacher comes in full of smoke haha

I use my e-cig in front of my non-smoking wife and she has absolutely no problems with that. I vaper in our house and also in the car, no smell at all.

But still, e-cigs are also bad for the health.

How bad for the health?

That's a question which is not answered completely until now. The long term studies are not finished yet. I'm sure, that vaping is not 100% healthy but less dangerous than smoking. For me the logic behind my opinion is based on the stuff which is inside a cigarette and inside liquid.

Oh, and here on boards.ie you can find an interesting thread about that (sorry, I cannot post the link because of too less posts, but this is the title)

E-Cigarettes - are they damaging to your health?

Thanks will have a look! :)

• Advertisement

Order 7 ecigs tops for 10 euro off ebay that would be 35 in most shops here!

Got 2 liquids for school 0 nicotine!

Its day 35 goin strong :D

Sounds for me like you can make it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

You're over the 21 day mark.

21 days to make a habit
    21 days to break a habit

At 0 nicotine in the e-cig, I wonder why you're even bothering. You only smoked for a short period, so simply wanting to remain free is enough for you to put the e-cig to rest, unless you just enjoy smoking the flavours, but you are instilling smoking behaviour in your brain by keeping the ecig.

Well done by the way.

Thanks.

Just got it coz in school if i didnt have it id just start smoking again its happened before!

I can enough a smoke of an e cig mabye 3 or 4 puffs a day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

Order 7 ecigs tops for 10 euro off ebay that would be 35 in most shops here!

Got 2 liquids for school 0 nicotine!

Its day 35 goin strong :D

Keep going kiddo, well done :cool:

Thanks.

Just got it coz in school if i didnt have it id just start smoking again its happened before!

I can enough a smoke of an e cig mabye 3 or 4 puffs a day!

Sounds good to me. Seems that you are on the right track. :)

Stay strong. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

goz83 wrote: »
    You're over the 21 day mark.

21 days to make a habit
    21 days to break a habit

At 0 nicotine in the e-cig, I wonder why you're even bothering. You only smoked for a short period, so simply wanting to remain free is enough for you to put the e-cig to rest, unless you just enjoy smoking the flavours, but you are instilling smoking behaviour in your brain by keeping the ecig.

Well done by the way.

Yeah I'd give the E Cig a rest. I smoked for years and feel MUCH healthier on mine. Now I'm addicted to that. To be fair, I do enjoy having a puff on it during the day / night, esp with a drink or two. I just pray its actually completely safe and there isn't a nasty side effect waiting in the wings with research. Still, I can't see it being nearly as bad as cig damage.

Havent used the e cig yet lad...my top was burnt so i ordered new ones should be here soon i hope...it will keep me off the fags in skool and with 0% nicotine i should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 25 GeorgeSlate

First make yourself be ready to adopt every decision related to quit smoking. If you want to come out from all these smoking habit then you have to take all the difficult methods.
    - First decide that you are ready to quit.
    - If you think that stop smoking group will help to quit smoking then ask to your school that they are having one or not. If they are not having this then it would be better for you if you try to contact local American Lung Association for stop smoking materials.
    - Choose someone you give you support and help in this tough situation.
    - List the reason for quitting smoking and read them time when you feel that you have to smoke.
    - Drink lots of water, always eat healthy food, do regular exercise, this will really help you in quitting smoking.
    - Stay with positive decision that you will definitely quit from smoking.

• Advertisement

Thanks....off the fags over 2 months...i relize now that its so digusting when i dont have the temptation to go near another fag! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Spearsharp

Wow, well done!

^Lasted 3 months back on them for last 3 months and smoke 15 a day :/
    Will quit after leaving cert id say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭Little Lion Woman

^Lasted 3 months back on them for last 3 months and smoke 15 a day :/
    Will quit after leaving cert id say!

If you leave it until after the Leaving Cert to quit you're just setting yourself up for a lifetime of procrastination when it comes to quitting. You're also setting yourself up for a habit of associating smoking with stressful situations which will make it a million times harder to quit.

Well ive 3 months at home after during the summer which i will and did last year...theres no hope before the leaving cert! :/

Advertisement