Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SumUp Credit Card Processing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

stevieob wrote: »
    FYI, and I would have thought you knew this especially as you work in the Industry, AIBMS have a system called POGO which is essentially the same as yours, fully compliant and has a better battery life than the Elavon solution.

I don't work for AIB but am in the process of of putting a very large number of terminals on the streets of Dublin, so know a thing or 2 about whats available. No decisions made yet, but so far nothing beats the good aul injenco terminal......

Yep, aware of Pogo, though they've only seemed to launch their chip & pin website this week. Up until now there was no mention of it anywhere on AIBMS. Even in their entry in the National Transport Authority brochure which recently went out to taxi drivers, the image was of the Square-type device.

Couple of differences -

1) Im biased, but I think Elavon's key pad looks much nicer. Pogo is blocky and ugly with a smaller screen.

2) Its cheaper at €100 versus Elavon's €120. Its credit card rate is 2.75% versus Elavon's 2.95%, and its debit rate is 50c versus Elavon's 49c. But, its got a monthly minimum fee which Elavon doesn't have.

3) With Pogo, the transaction charges are taken directly at source before the funds are transferred to your bank account. Eg if you took a €100 transaction, you would be funded €98.25. Elavon use direct debit, so it means your funded the full value of your transactions and then the applicable fees are deducted once a month via direct debit. Not a major thing, but the charges from source method can cause problems for people's accounting and reconciliation. Elavon tried it out for a while, but people didn't like it, so we switched back to direct debits.

4) By far the biggest difference, in my opinion, is the virtual terminal for non-cardholder present transactions which Elavon include for free with the same transaction charges as the chip & pin transactions. You access this through your PC / laptop, or in-app if you wish. This is included in a reporting tool which lets you run custom reports, manage refunds / voids etc via your PC indepent of the phone app or pin pad. I may be wrong but I haven't seen any such option with Pogo (reporting / management outside of the app).

All said and done (with the possible exception of point 4) they are undeniably similar products.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

stevieob wrote: »
    but would be wary of customers acceptance towards it

There is absolutely no problem with that at all. Most people comment on how much easier it is to use and how much lighter it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Thomas_Sumup

Hi guys,

My name is Tom and I'm the Country Manager for Sumup here in Ireland. Thanks to all of you for your interest and apologies if our solution does not currently meet your needs. Our solution currently facilitates accepting both VISA and MasterCard via our mobile payments solution which you can view below. The solution is suitable for both face to face and customer not present transactions.

http://vimeo.com/81183349

To avail of this service, there is no need for any extra hardware, just the free sumup app for your iOS or Android device. Our current optional card reader (€19.95) is for MasterCard only.

However an earlier poster was correct in that we will be bringing a Chip & Pin device to the Irish market in a couple of weeks. There will be a one off fee for the device itself but will not have any monthly charges or contract and will be based on a 1.95% transaction fee for all cards.

Be sure to keep an eye on our website for more details. You can also contact us directly for any further queries.

Phone: 01 525 3490
    Email: support@sumup.ie

Best,
    Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭CinSoots

And it looks like we have a winner :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

However an earlier poster was correct in that we will be bringing a Chip & Pin device to the Irish market in a couple of weeks.

Hi Tom, thanks for partaking in the thread. A previous poster said that they were told it would be March that the new reader would be released - you're saying mid February - could you clarify on this please. A release date would be ideal.

Thanks very much

• Advertisement

Cianos wrote: »
    Hi Tom, thanks for partaking in the thread. A previous poster said that they were told it would be March that the new reader would be released - you're saying mid February - could you clarify on this please. A release date would be ideal.

Thanks very much
    Hi Ciano,

In the interest of not wanting to over promise and under-deliver I don't want to give you a specific date. As you may know, when launching a new product there are inherent issues which we aim to iron out during a beta launch so March will be the official launch.

I hope this answers your queries. If you are interested, I can add you to our list of merchants looking for the device as soon as it hits the market? You won't be asked for any deposit or anything like that, you will just be among the first to know when it is available.

Cheers,
    Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 20,792 ✭✭✭✭cormie

However an earlier poster was correct in that we will be bringing a Chip & Pin device to the Irish market in a couple of weeks. There will be a one off fee for the device itself but will not have any monthly charges or contract and will be based on a 1.95% transaction fee for all cards.

Does all cards include Visa so? And when you say "to the Irish market", can we assume the reader will still work with any visa/mastercard worldwide?

Hi Cormie,

This does include Visa/Visa Debit etc. We will be keeping the mobile payments element within the app to facilitate card not present transactions too.

Yes this does mean other regions too, sorry for the confusion.

Cheers,
    Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Does Sumup accept amex?

Hi Cormie,

This does include Visa/Visa Debit etc. We will be keeping the mobile payments element within the app to facilitate card not present transactions too.

Yes this does mean other regions too, sorry for the confusion.

Cheers,
    Tom

Thanks Tom, sounds good and a great solution (the best?) for small businesses and even larger ones with the once off payment to own the device and smaller fee % too. Elavon might have to rethink their fees if they want to get any new customers from this thread..

• Advertisement

Hi Stevie,

Unfortunately we don't currently accept AmEx but it will become available later this year. As you can imagine, our resources are currently focused on the Pin+ device. However, as investors in our company, AmEx will be added as soon as possible.

For further detail, feel free to send me a private mail.

Best,

Just thought I'd bump this now that we're in March - hoping a delivery date in this month is still going to happen for the new SumUp card reader?

Hey Cianos,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. We are currently in line for a March launch. As you can imagine, we will be running some trial runs/beta tests with preselected merchants. Following this, we will have a full scale public launch. To manage expectations, I believe April will be a more realistic timeline for launch.

Many thanks,
    Tom

Hey Cianos,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. We are currently in line for a March launch. As you can imagine, we will be running some trial runs/beta tests with preselected merchants. Following this, we will have a full scale public launch. To manage expectations, I believe April will be a more realistic timeline for launch.

Many thanks,
    Tom

Very disappointing. In February you said that you were running a Beta launch at the end of February and in answer to my question on whether the full launch would be early or late March (in response to you saying it'd be in March) you said late March to be safe. Now it seems the Beta launch hasn't even begun? Frustrating to be led along like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭tarmon

Have to agree with Cianos. It is very disappointing and it doesn't inspire confidence.

Hi Cian,

I'm sorry to disappoint you but as I'm sure you can imagine, launching a new product of this nature does incur lots of external factors. We are doing our best to launch asap. Have you tried using our mobile payments flow to take payments? Thousands of Irish businesses use Sumup everyday to take card payments so perhaps this may be suitable in your business too? The video below demonstrates how it all works:

http://vimeo.com/81183349

Best,

• Registered Users Posts: 4 hairways

With relation to SumUp charges.
    1.95% will be charged on all cards you said. Would that include VISA Debit cards. Other providers are charging a set 0.49c or something in that figure.

I would have very few card transactions and at that they would be very small amounts from €8 to €16.00

I would much prefer to ask the client for a VISA Debit card knowing I'm only paying 0.50c per transaction.

It would not be worth my while paying 1.95% on an €8.00 transaction.

Hairways, if most of your transactions are only €8-€16, you'd be much better off paying 1.95% than 49/50c :)

Hi guys,

Cormie is correct in calculating fees on the above mentioned amounts. Another factor to consider when comparing prices are supplementary fees you may be paying outside of a transaction fee such as monthly charges or upfront costs.

Feel free to contact me with any other queries.

Best,
    Tom

cormie wrote: »
    Hairways, if most of your transactions are only €8-€16, you'd be much better off paying 1.95% than 49/50c :)

Think I did my sum's wrong oops :)

• Advertisement

Hi guys,

Cormie is correct in calculating fees on the above mentioned amounts. Another factor to consider when comparing prices are supplementary fees you may be paying outside of a transaction fee such as monthly charges or upfront costs.

Feel free to contact me with any other queries.

Best,
    Tom

I like the idea of the chip and pin machine. It makes everything look more professional. I'll have to wait until that comes out and get one.

As most of my transactions would be about €12.00, I'd like to see how contact-less payment would pan out. This would be perfect for my business.

hairways wrote: »
    I like the idea of the chip and pin machine. It makes everything look more professional. I'll have to wait until that comes out and get one.

As most of my transactions would be about €12.00, I'd like to see how contact-less payment would pan out. This would be perfect for my business.

Yeh contactless will (hopefully!) be great! Now that people are so accustomed to using wireless with Leap then they will hopefully be quicker to make the transition to contactless cards for other payments. Agree on the chip & pin that was the reason I didn't go with Sum Up makes a big difference having the C&P device and the bluetooth ones are so small a lot of people comment on how small they are!

Any update on the launch of the Bluetooth reader? We're well in to April now and still nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭tarmon

I enquired about it a few weeks ago and was told it would be available in Q2 2014 which could be any time up to the end of June!

Hi guys,

We are beginning a closed Beta launch this month as planned. With a new product we will invariably discover minor bugs which we aim to eradicate with the testing. Once the product has met our requirements we will begin a public launch. As mentioned, we have a number of merchants waiting to be part of this private launch who will be contacted shortly with an update.

I appreciate your patience on this matter, as some of you may know, launching a new product requires quite a bit of effort across a range of functions. This process is magnified when dealing with payments and so unfortunately we've be unable thus far to meet the timelines we had previously set.

I will be sure to update this thread on movements over the coming weeks and look forward to enabling you all to accept payments in your business.

Best,
    Tom

Tom, getting a bit confused with all the offerings from the different companies, with SumUp, is it possible to take payment over the phone/webpage if the cardholder (and card) isn't present? Or to send an invoice for payment likes you would do via paypal?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭ChrisMcCauley

Just heard about the layoffs in Dublin. Sad to see a company run into problems. At least they are being proactive and helping staff get jobs elsewhere.

Just heard about the layoffs in Dublin. Sad to see a company run into problems. At least they are being proactive and helping staff get jobs elsewhere.

First I have seen about this disappointing to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

Missed that myself.
    SumUp, an international mobile payments technology company with operations in Germany and Britain, has decided to close its Dublin headquarters just 18 months after it opened, with the loss of about 30 jobs.
    The company last week wrote to other firms in the technology and software sectors to say it would be holding a jobs fair at its Dublin office on May 13th.

“SumUp is an industry leader in mobile card payments, but due to cost-cutting measures, a decision has been made to close the Dublin office,” according to the note, which ended with the contact details of SumUp’s Ireland country manager Thomas O’Reilly. He did not return a call for comment at the weekend.
    “The Dublin office is staffed by extremely capable software development, operations and support personnel, who are now looking for new opportunities,” the note said, before listing the names and qualifications of its staff.
    SumUp developed a smartphone and tablet app for traders that allowed them process credit and debit card transactions. The businesses use a card reader attached to the smartphone or other device, turning them into small till screens.

SumUp announced the opening of its Dublin operation, with backing from IDA Ireland, in late 2012 and said it would employ up to 40 people.
    The company raised about $20 million (€14.4 million) of venture capital funding to roll its product out across about 10 European markets.
    Its German managing director said at the time of the launch that Ireland was a useful “test bed” for its product, and that it had chosen to set up here because it was able to find skilled software developers.
    SumUp has previously been described as a European version of Square, the company set up by Twitter founder Jack Dorsey.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/technology/sumup-closes-dublin-headquarters-after-18-months-1.1783596

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭wytch

Best of luck to all their staff, nice to see a company with some feeling of social responsibility to their staff. A thing seemingly lacking nowadays.

Advertisement