Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SumUp Credit Card Processing

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Always coming soon, I emailed a direct question about visa processing a few weeks ago. It was a straightforward enough question to answer but the response was a request for my phone number to discuss.

I didn't.

Like you Cianos, I don't think the Visa solution is anywhere near presentable to customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

jimmii wrote: »
    Surprised its still not sorted seems a very strange move and would imagine its lost them a good few customers I know I took them out of the running as soon as I found out how Visa had to be done. I would suggest looking at syspay you get a chip & pin device and it takes Visa. We have been using them for almost a year now and I would recommend them to anyone the service has been top class.

I'm now considering syspay, thanks for the recommendation.

On the site it says it's 1.99% per transaction for physical goods - we're a services based business, would this make a difference do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Cianos wrote: »
    I'm now considering syspay, thanks for the recommendation.

On the site it says it's 1.99% per transaction for physical goods - we're a services based business, would this make a difference do you know?

I don't know for sure but I don't see why it would make a difference then never asked if we process non-physical goods when we signed up. The whole sign up process was nice and quick although there was a problem initially which meant our terminal had to get swapped but every time we have had any issues they have been super quick to fix things you are always able to get them quickly via online chat and over the phone too which is handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

With Sum Up you just have to enter your bank account number and sort code and that's all that's required to receive the funds - is it that easy with syspay?

I assume now its the BIC and IBAN you would need instead but essentially the same thing. Once you have filled out the application form initially all do is start taking the payments and wait for the money to hit the bank! The whole process is very easy and quicker than I expected too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭floydmoon1

I am also looking into a credit card system.

Started a small hostel last year and the credit card costs were alot.

Between rental and minimum fees as well for the 4 months we were closed I got read of the Elavon system.

Going to try to get more customers paying by cash but also need a system like sumup.

The visa thing is the problem so will look into syspay.

There seems to be a market for an alternative to the monthly fee and minimum contract so it seems weird there is not more competition for all the small businesses in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

floydmoon1 wrote: »
    I am also looking into a credit card system.

Started a small hostel last year and the credit card costs were alot.

Between rental and minimum fees as well for the 4 months we were closed I got read of the Elavon system.

Going to try to get more customers paying by cash but also need a system like sumup.

The visa thing is the problem so will look into syspay.

There seems to be a market for an alternative to the monthly fee and minimum contract so it seems weird there is not more competition for all the small businesses in Ireland.

**Disclaimer - I work for Elavon.

Elavon do a system called MobileMerchant which is a wireless chip & pin card reader connected via Bluetooth to your phone. There are no monthly minimum fees and there is an option for no rental fees (you pay either €10 rental per month for the life of the account, or €120 once off to own the pinpad with no rental thereafter). Its better than SumUp and the like because:

1) Its fully chip and pin compliant (to my knowledge the only mobile system of its type which is chip & pin and not signature based) so its more secure.

2) There's no messing around with Visa cards - all main credit and debit cards are handled as you would expect (it doesn't do AMEX or Diners, yet).

3) Its Bluetooth connected so you are not handing your actual phone to customers, just the card device, so its more professional looking

4) Phone and web support (i believe SumUp are web support only? could be wrong here)

5) As well as the physical pinpad you also get free access to an online Virtual Terminal which you can access through your PC or phone web browser, for processing of telephone transactions.

If you're interested, drop me a PM and I can get you set up.

Branoic wrote: »

Elavon do a system called MobileMerchant which is a wireless chip & pin card reader connected via Bluetooth to your phone. There are no monthly minimum fees and there is an option for no rental fees (you pay either €10 rental per month for the life of the account, or €120 once off to own the pinpad with no rental thereafter). Its better than SumUp and the like because:

1) Its fully chip and pin compliant (to my knowledge the only mobile system of its type which is chip & pin and not signature based) so its more secure.

2) There's no messing around with Visa cards - all main credit and debit cards are handled as you would expect (it doesn't do AMEX or Diners, yet).

3) Its Bluetooth connected so you are not handing your actual phone to customers, just the card device, so its more professional looking

4) Phone and web support (i believe SumUp are web support only? could be wrong here)

5) As well as the physical pinpad you also get free access to an online Virtual Terminal which you can access through your PC or phone web browser, for processing of telephone transactions.

If you're interested, drop me a PM and I can get you set up.

Just so you know syspay do all that and take Amex too (think I have only done one or two Amex over the year though!). Looks like syspay is a bit more expensive though. What are the rates for debit & credit cards per transaction? My subscription is coming up soon so looking at my options!

Just so you know syspay do all that and take Amex too (think I have only done one or two Amex over the year though!). Looks like syspay is a bit more expensive though. What are the rates for debit & credit cards per transaction? My subscription is coming up soon so looking at my options!

2.95% on credit
    49 cent on debit

Also, forgot to mention settlement times -

Generally next day funding with a Bank of Ireland account, or normal bank transfer times of 3 days with any other account.

2.95% on credit
    49 cent on debit

Generally next day funding with a Bank of Ireland account, or normal bank transfer times of 3 days with any other account.

Can you do remote payment?

Most of my customers pay at the premises but somethings I need to take payment over the phone.

SysPay is

Laser Debit : 0.49 €
    Visa Debit (VIDE): 0.49 €
    Visa Electron (VIEL): 1.99%
    MasterCard Debit (MCDE): 0.49 €

International Maestro: 1.99%
    Amex: 1.99%

They have no monthly fees but if you want the bluetooth credit card terminal it is 199 euro and you own it.

They said as well that the above rates are locked in for life once you have the machine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

2.95% on credit
    49 cent on debit

What's the process like to be setup as a merchant? There's not much mention of it on the website?

2.95% on credit
    49 cent on debit

Thanks.

Can you do remote payment?

Most of my customers pay at the premises but somethings I need to take payment over the phone.

That looks like the biggest plus over syspay imo just a matter of how much credit card you do and how much the almost 1% difference will make.

That looks like the biggest plus over syspay imo just a matter of how much credit card you do and how much the almost 1% difference will make.

I have been onto Syspay and they said they can also setup this type of virtual terminal connected to your account with the terminal.

They said the fees depend on your application and I guess the useage you put down.

It might be more expensive per transaction for the virtual terminal but as it will only be a handful in the year I think for me overall Syspay will be cheaper.

I have been onto Syspay and they said they can also setup this type of virtual terminal connected to your account with the terminal.

They said the fees depend on your application and I guess the useage you put down.

It might be more expensive per transaction for the virtual terminal but as it will only be a handful in the year I think for me overall Syspay will be cheaper.

Interesting to know assumed they had something like that but never really looked into it as its not something that I need to use often either at the moment I use paypal and its sure to be cheaper than that!

Graham wrote: »
    What's the process like to be setup as a merchant? There's not much mention of it on the website?

Pretty straight forward. We take your details then email you a precompleted form which just needs to be signed and sent back - you can scan and email it back. We need some stuff with it for Money - laundering legislation requirements - copy of photo identification, utility bill, proof of bank account. PM me if you like and I can arrange.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Lower the % fee and I reckon you'll get a rake of new sign ups :) Sounds great besides that.

cormie wrote: »
    Lower the % fee and I reckon you'll get a rake of new sign ups :) Sounds great besides that.

I would definitely consider going with the mobile merchant if the fees were a bit more favourable.

I am amazed that this option wasn't advised to me when I aired my grievances about Elavon and decided to cancel my account.

To be honest I didn't find Elavon very helpful as any time I had an issue no-one seemed to contact me.

I would definitely consider going with the mobile merchant if the fees were a bit more favourable.

I am amazed that this option wasn't advised to me when I aired my grievances about Elavon and decided to cancel my account.

To be honest I didn't find Elavon very helpful as any time I had an issue no-one seemed to contact me.

Would love to drop the % but alas cannot :) it's a fixed product with pricing set by the powers that be.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭CinSoots

I spoke to SumUp yesterday. I was looking for the card reader but they told me not to bother as a new Bluetooth chip and pin device would be issued in March that would accept Visa. Visa will not accept the current arrangement that Sumup have in place so that's why they have had to do this. The charges would remain the same but there would be an initial cost of approx €50 for the card reader.

This is the first time they have answered the visa question with some kind of solution rather than it will work soon so I hope they are right this time!!

I also asked about a payment solution that would integrate into my website and they said it was being worked on but they couldn't give any specific timeframe at the moment. This I wasn't convinced about so I'll believe this when I see it!!

• Advertisement

Well that sounds like a definite competitor to Elavon, especially with sum up just at 1.95%, quick Elavon, reduce your rates before Sum Up come along and nab all of us :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,841 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

FYI, and I would have thought you knew this especially as you work in the Industry, AIBMS have a system called POGO which is essentially the same as yours, fully compliant and has a better battery life than the Elavon solution.

I don't work for AIB but am in the process of of putting a very large number of terminals on the streets of Dublin, so know a thing or 2 about whats available. No decisions made yet, but so far nothing beats the good aul injenco terminal......

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭tarmon

Is the POGO system chip and pin based? From their website it looks like signature only and is more like SumUp than Elavon. If its signature only is there similar faffing about with Visa like there is with SumUp??

tarmon wrote: »
    Is the POGO system chip and pin based? From their website it looks like signature only and is more like SumUp than Elavon. If its signature only is there similar faffing about with Visa like there is with SumUp??

Guessing you were on the wrong webpage?
    http://www.aibms.com/pogo/

stevieob wrote: »
    FYI, and I would have thought you knew this especially as you work in the Industry, AIBMS have a system called POGO which is essentially the same as yours, fully compliant and has a better battery life than the Elavon solution.

I don't work for AIB but am in the process of of putting a very large number of terminals on the streets of Dublin, so know a thing or 2 about whats available. No decisions made yet, but so far nothing beats the good aul injenco terminal......

Be interested to hear how this goes for you. Its a bit pricey and says you are only eligible if your expected card payment turnover is <€20k which seems really low but the app looks a lot better than Syspays.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭tarmon

Thanks Jimmii. I was indeed on the wrong website. Now thats more like it. I much prefer the chip and pin approach. So this looks like a contender with syspay and Elavon mobile merchant. Would be very interested to hear of anyone using the AIB Pogo system.

Yeh so would I. My term is up with Syspay soon so definitely looking at other options. I bank with AIB so hopefully it would make the payments a little bit quicker. The Chip & Pin machine looks pretty cool too I must say!

We have lots of traditional chip & pin devices in operation already but are looking to move supplier. We own the units we have but will need to add to them so are looking at options.
    I had the POGO device in my hands only yesterday, it's very neat and cool. Reads chip & pin and also has swipe option for foreign cards.
    It's no bigger than the palm of my hand, and syncs with mobile via Bluetooth.... It's a good option, cheap also compared with traditional chip & pin devices but would be wary of customers acceptance towards it but maybe a bit of promoting by AIB could overcome that

All I see with rates is €10 a month, is it possible to buy up front I wonder and after that, what are the transaction rates?

• Advertisement

cormie wrote: »
    All I see with rates is €10 a month, is it possible to buy up front I wonder and after that, what are the transaction rates?

the unit can be purchased outright or hired and there is a monthly fee on the account

we are talking hundreds of units so i wont comment on the rates as i guess that all comes down to volume and transaction size

Advertisement