Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EventElephant

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Ok, in fairness to the Event Elephant finance team, they did answer the questions at the second time of asking.
    Dear myname,

May I answer your question as you raise them?

1) Approximately how often do chargebacks go above 5% for events run by your customers, thus leading to held funds?

A) I am sure you will appreciate there are different types of event i.e. level of bookings, time frames of promotion etc etc. In saying that approximately 20% of our event organisers are affected by charge backs on initially sign up. There are 18% affected by the 5% threshold. It should be noted that a charge back is only successful if it is proven that an event did not go ahead or a "stolen" card was used in the booking.

2) Can you provide evidence to your customers that a bank has put a hold on all of their funds?

A) We can provide examples of the charge back documentation that is received from the clearing banks. But we cannot pass on the information specific to the event as the we do not receive the full information ie card holder name, contact details to name a few items. But once again the information communicated is different from the different payment types.

Kind Regards,
    Finance Team.

There you go - they seem to have almost 1 in every 5 events affected by >=5% chargebacks. That's way more than I'd expect, but breaking down numbers that's averaging approximately 1% of all attendees of all events doing a chargeback (please correct me if I got the maths wrong).

For that they're running into held funds scenarios 20% of the time. (You'd think with those kind of numbers they'd be a lot better at explaining this stuff)

The second answer is the deal-breaker for me - they won't provide any evidence to customers that a bank is holding all of the event's funds. Surely you can make that happen, especially if it's occurring with 20% of your customers. It doesn't have to have card holder details, just some kind of evidence demonstrating that a bank is holding all of the event's funds - it could simple be a letter from the bank. Without that, I wouldn't take it simply at their word.

A step in the right direction, thanks for answering those questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Bordeo

i know for a fact that aib act as one of their merchants. i dont know if that is the only one they have or if there are several

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Bordeo wrote: »
    i know for a fact that aib act as one of their merchants. i dont know if that is the only one they have or if there are several

Do you mean that they act as their acquirer?

I know aib provide merchant banking services

Below is the contents of an email I have received from the chargeback section of a merchant bank. I dont understand how these chargebacks are not getting resolved

In general terms if a card is reported stolen the issuing bank stop thecard, on receipt of a chargeback we would need to see how the transaction wastaken ie) chip and pin is the best defence of all and we would absolutelydefend any chargeback where chip and pin is used.

When a transaction is E-commerce unless it is 3d secure the situationchanges, we cannot defend these and the liability is with the merchant whoprocessed the transaction.

We have 42 days to respond to a Chargeback and then The issuing Bank hasa further 30 days to respond to us, if they choose to continue thedispute. We then have a further 30 days to respond further to the 2ndChargeback or pre-arbitration. At this point they then have a further 30days to respond to our defence. After this if we are going all the way tofiling (rare in these cases) we would have to wait for Visa to make adecision.

However I must add in cases of fraud it would be rare for a case to go “allthe way” as fraud is usually identified early on in the case and unless thetransaction is chip and pin or a signed and swiped voucher or 3d secure Ecommerce there would be no defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Admin note: if you run a company offering similar services to EasyElephant please do not use this thread to advertise. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 nipper banks

I note that there is a judgement registered against Event Elephant in this weeks Stubbs Gazette. I don't know anything about it, but thats the fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Roscoe Holscomb

There appears to have been a judgement registered against them in November 2012: http://www.insolvencyjournal.ie/search_result.aspx?indexCatalogue=ijsearch&searchQuery=eventelephant&wordsMode=0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Event Elephant: Alan

Many of our organisers who have had a problem with chargebacks on their events switch over to using their own merchant account to collect the funds for their future events. See what they had to say about using their own merchant account http://www.eventelephant.com/own-merchant-testimonials

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Lisa you sure are a glass half full kinda person!

• Advertisement

How about a "Waiting to be paid thousands of euro" testimonials page as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I'd have to imagine that many of the organisers who have had a problem with chargebacks won't use your service ever again or recommend you to anyone else.

Lisa you just make me laugh. You are unbelieveable. Start up a page for the negative experiences. See this link for what the people in the UK has done http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/event-elephant-ltd-pay-your-creditors-on-time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

This is a wonderful case study for how not to do social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 EastcourtManor

My company, Eastcourt Manor, used Event Elephant last year for our events. Initially there were no problems but the service deteriorated significantly during 2012. Event Elephant currently owe us just over £550 (including interest) for events in November 2012, January 2013 and February 2013.

Trying to talk to Event Elephant's finance department is pointless. Email replies are generic and identical. Phone conversations are with people who really have no clue what's going on.

I have communicated by email with every single person who booked on these events and they've all confirmed that they have paid (one has even sent me his credit card statements!). My customers are horrified that they've paid for an event in good faith but the organiser hasn't received payment.

Event Elephant provide a terrible service, avoid at all cost.

Gwen Nathan
    Eastcourt Manor

P.S. Lisa - the IDs of my events in dispute are 15445, 16480 & 16481 - if you feel unable to respond to my complaints in a public forum, please do get in touch via gwen@eastcourtmanor.co.uk. I have email correspondence with all six of the bookers for these events whose payments could be subject to query under your 'terms' of business, all of whom have confirmed their payment. If you would like copies, please do let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Many of our organisers who have had a problem with chargebacks on their events switch over to using their own merchant account to collect the funds for their future events. See what they had to say about using their own merchant account http://www.eventelephant.com/own-merchant-testimonials

You honestly must take these people for idiots, thankfully I haven't been personally affected by this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 slmrt

I see its more Smoke and Mirrors from eventelephant, trying distract from the real issue i.e. where is the the money they are withholding for many many months from a lot of its customers for questionable reasons. Blaming these same customers for stupidly using a service which Eventelephant offered and charged for.

We and others used and paid for this service, as we were not in a position to open our own merchant account, so all this bluff that we could have set up our own merchant account is a red herring by them to sidetrack the argument away from the core issue - where is the money?

We no longer believe the reason given by them of chargebacks and actually feel that they never existed as
    1. No evidence of them has ever been provided
    2. Other organisations have contact every one of those that paid money and none had initiated charge backs and we have confirmed this with many those that donated money to us.
    3. The alleged number of chargebacks are massively above industry norms, with chargebacks in relation to charities even rarer
    4. There is a very tight timeframe for chargebacks to be resolved which looks to be have way exceeded in these cases
    5. The small sums of money involved in the transactions means that its highly unlikely given the cost involved that anyone would process far done the chargeback process, ie a few months

So Lisa, where is our money? i.e. money donated to our charity, a volunteer 999 service.

This has been a very unpleasurable experience for us and a distraction from our work for nearly 12 months now. Their customer service has been terrible and they seem to spend more time on social media than working to pay back peoples money. So is you are thinking of using this company we advise to do your research and think again.

is there anyone getting any new info on their funds due from event elephant? we are still getting the same waffle and its so frustrating

is there anyone getting any new info on their funds due from event elephant? we are still getting the same waffle and its so frustrating

I do want want to be prejudicial, so I will just state the following facts:
    • There are 2 recent judgements against them for a total of €63k
    • They have not filed their accounts within the deadline required by the CRO
    • Their last accounts had a Balance Sheet deficit of over €1m
    These are facts, draw your own conclusions.

• Advertisement

I just purchased their full credit report from solocheck. it makes shocking reading. red alerts all over it. if anyone wants a copy of it send me a private message and I will forward it on to anyone that wants it

Enterprise Ireland are listed as a shareholder of Event Elephant. They will be getting an email from me and so will the government department that funds it.

Enterprise Ireland are listed as a shareholder of Event Elephant. They will be getting an email from me and so will the government department that funds it.

That's a very good point. Pressure should be put on Enterprise Ireland to protect innocent creditors. I suggest all those owed money should contact EI immediately.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 16 Pass the Sauce love

I already posted in this in another (of the many many) forums on these cowboys, but it looks like times are hard for EventElephant. They appear to be operating now out of house instead of an office. I dont know since when but the following is from the website.

"Until our exciting new offices are completed in Dublin, EventElephant Limited is Temporarily Registered at 6 White Ash, Ashbourne, Meath, Ireland. – Reg. No. 452571"

When they were on Joe Duffy I'm sure their address was in Ballsbridge. I'd be worried that they will disappear across the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

Our club ran a fundraiser thorugh their website (we sold tickets to an event) and six months later we are still waiting for money. They now do not answer our emails and they have barred us from their facebook page.

Mate they are just a joke. Where are the thousands of euro been held. They wont give any proof that they are been held independently.
    does anyone know what regulatory body they can be reported to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

No sign of it on their site.

two of their directors have resigned in the last month according to their cro filings. they have changed address to a house in meath. the warning signs are their that this company is going to the wall

Hypothetically speaking, should a random company director resign, can they still be held fully accountable if the random company is later found to have traded recklessly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

Oryx wrote: »
    Hypothetically speaking, should a random company director resign, can they still be held fully accountable if the random company is later found to have traded recklessly?

Yes - some good info here :

http://www.accountancyireland.ie/en/Archive/2005/June-2005/Insolvent-Companies---Advising-the-Directors/

Just seen this on eventelephants website. has anybody contacted this crowd to see if they will shed any light on what is going on

Adyen are the European market leaders in secure online payment systems. They are also EventElephant’s online payment provider and as such, EventElephant does not collect or retain any credit card details on the system. Attendees paying for an event online are verified through Adyen who screen all incoming card details.

For more information on Adyen please visit www.adyen.com.

• Advertisement

For anyone affected by chargebacks we provide all details to the card companies and liaise with them on a daily basis in order to get them resolved asap. Please note that all funds are transferred to event organisers. We do not hold onto any event organisers funds. If there is a delay due to chargebacks these funds are held by the card companies and not EventElephant. We understand that these can cause difficulties for our event organisers but unfortunately these are beyond our control.

alan would you change the record. give independent proof that event elephant does not hold on to the funds and that will put everyone at ease. can you do that

For anyone affected by chargebacks we provide all details to the card companies and liaise with them on a daily basis in order to get them resolved asap. Please note that all funds are transferred to event organisers. We do not hold onto any event organisers funds. If there is a delay due to chargebacks these funds are held by the card companies and not EventElephant. We understand that these can cause difficulties for our event organisers but unfortunately these are beyond our control.

Lmfaorofl.

I don't believe you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭WAPAIC

Oryx wrote: »
    I don't believe you.

Even if Alan's response made sense, I wouldn't believe it.

I think we have hit a nerve with Alan for him to unmask himself on here. The guy is normally in meetings 24/7 and can never take a call so its great to see him on here. The next step is to see what Adyen (their payment processors terms and conditions are in releation to chargebacks and who actually holds on to the money.

Alan will you just give independent proof if you have nothing to hide. Silence equals guilty to me

As boards are facilitating Event Elephant can they insist that EE cease from replying with generic responses?

Alan must be in meetings again and cant be bothered to respond whether he can provide independent proof that they dont hold on to the funds.

come on alan I dare ya.

I prefer the generic response from EE Lisa to those from EE Alan. Should we have a poll?

Alan and Lisa have been replaced by robots.

• Advertisement

not many staff left in event elephant now. they are all jumping ship

Event Elephant have applied to the High Court to go into Examinership. Not surprising, but may not be the best option for customers, as Examinership usually ends with the same management still in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭WAPAIC

We do not hold onto any event organisers funds. If there is a delay due to chargebacks these funds are held by the card companies and not EventElephant.

Well thankfully EE don't hold the organiser's funds, otherwise it really would be time to start worrying.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3 slmrt

Mr Barrett - I see you still pursue the "chargeback" excuse. We do not believe the reason given by your company of chargebacks and actually feel that they never existed in the first place,
    1. No evidence of them has ever been provided
    2. Other organisations have contacted every one of those that paid money and none had initiated charge backs and we have confirmed this with many those that donated money to us.
    3. The alleged number of chargebacks are MASSIVELY above industry norms, with chargebacks in relation to charities even rarer
    4. There is a very tight timeframe for chargebacks to be resolved which looks to be have way exceeded in these cases
    5. The small sums of money involved in the transactions means that its highly unlikely given the cost involved that anyone would process far done the chargeback process, ie a few months

So Alan, where is our money? i.e. money donated to our charity, a volunteer 999 service. We see that an examiner has been appointed to your company. So maybe we will let the readers of this post decide the answer to the above question themselves

I repeat from a previous post that this has been a very unpleasurable experience for us and a distraction from our work for 12 months as of yesturday. Their customer service has been abysmal and they seem to spend more time on social media than working to pay back peoples money. So is you are thinking of using this company we advise to do your research and think again!

Event Elephant have applied to the High Court to go into Examinership. Not surprising, but may not be the best option for customers, as Examinership usually ends with the same management still in charge.

Dear nipper banks,

[FONT=Tahoma,sans-serif]To facilitate new investment into EventElephant, the directors of EventElephant Limited presented a petition for the protection of the High Court on 18 July 2013 and as part of this application an interim examiner was appointed. The protection of the High Court will enable the company to restructure its debts. It is important to note that the company continues to trade as normal and investment has already been identified which will enable the company to exit the process within a short period of time. [/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma,sans-serif]All event Organisers funds are paid into a Trust account and will therefore not be impacted upon by the appointment and will be transferred as per the terms and conditions of the web portal. [/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma,sans-serif]The board are confident that this short term protection will enable the company to exit the process on a firm footing.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Tahoma,sans-serif]If you have any questions in relation to this please contact finance@eventelephant.com[/FONT]

Now folks, you heard Alan, nothing to see here, move along...

“no comment to make at this stage”.

Now there's a change. Not blaming chargebacks for this one too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

This Sam Thomas lad sure has a lot of job titles:

https://www.google.ie/search?safe=off&hl=en&tbs=sbi:AMhZZivEvVFctMagBHngAtigwyKMu6pwhGcuiyZokE3OEUjRdMv0b1EWju-S0zBxDFqnIpaYYnjd531188bs9vn2biVMJdMENzci4ZvMIKtDSOjOXLs4ufxt5I-vts9GXw5Xs-YFnzRWH0DUFfQeQEIeuQXzcPBESua235DibGBC8juh_1Cpng3apucnyYOhcr1YyY0E2yaPBfoP8stApX-din1deu1Neq1WStIvpTBxFSL0N5OR9JMuSSrguupwf1uSYiqCDA0v8Pj56-ga4pMtqQ_19mtcuS15aHNvg8LS19Z8EUV9YsThoF4S0WZCaCOF9NHM_1QDcMRpifbJdvG2A-WsRk5N0AWSV8lzy0snkI3BJAKpuElBGPLFhTcSfwDzmtBgJc53yo5gqz1i9zX5wabircy8P4Cv2RCj67apOPS3oCy3gWUi9nZdpatLhK9kXRPPwz9nT--ThsVc6pEagBJr_1eh41Gv_1F9KtwTYjTKlL4fUeg2VAT0TEpdhocfJFil0QmcZsvWkqivj4dy68Yxdwhys7AFZjtZcdJ6_1mk5F8T5SPe6DEqOI6udE67YlxsLn27mJ3BZJc5XVeeKSEaQPPYNCMMAlRF1tgMSnHzcg4DIinwuZrP784s-pjdBfo1eINlowQGkovA8SWJlBUzb5w_1QTy8cwhE32k0N2OFa2Lp3HmVoaaS6bTSufxWKKdHvAyl9ujNmkYven0oHq4-pyZHvM8kVM8FlqRSgk5UQg6wFlLThODAkIQbukKcgNTh9X56GW2LBCVSxO3GtCBwykXZKixNzRgcro29dJVCY_1ZfTfYUL_1-Vbx2EgJcvSCWk5TmerKwSrPFUBPMVuQkKFfsJ6Z3Z_1_1LZap7Y0H26vBmD7NedMHRbU6XHKGTL_15_1pEvH4V_13UFnO2Cx7T-cTyjh_19SjEfsQPhgTNUqOsQwk2md6XqFfRx9hxElJgoy7wgyQVpntLBLgNS-_1QYTdkk8zNzITB8VdY4MLUhhkifSxy5AY4aHI_1tpvCOMRaGs4PdKMiQevpB3qTfB7UnrnWiqlFoGZe46x7nB0qBxkWgFt3ZzbPDTJSprS-a1j0uXl3cfVYy2eX96P6vkzeYY8W9p0kn3AVEfZ1kpevvB0IRe_1tgs5uggu_1K6s8mnus1qm6Ikeqb2mlnpObDX9qr4zz_1mgOHWKW8txLDalmRyfbdZ0q0UQynkMyAE3L3B12mBw5uTHzDUxJwgbq6J7ReR3uoeaGaijFXDzMk0XS3tm8aukfNH2octNsgPITp0u77uc2nNWWibBy7HvTG-Z2P2KK3rwBwIqFdAGuR2XiVLtWNmTc9btzpe5pR0&ei=ZW_uUd-nOvTB7AaNwIDAAw&start=10&sa=N&biw=1366&bih=643

And a twitter account that doesn't exist.

Advertisement