Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Dragons Den

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭D.W

mayhem# wrote: »
    You should follow the comments on Twitter. It's even better than the programme....

In fairness that wouldn't be hard! Poor show, poor ideas in most cases and brutal "dragons" that would rather keep whatever so called fortunes they have in their pockets. I agree with a previous comment about Sarah Newman being rude and laughing at people-shes winning no people over with her approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 gmgindigo

at least it shows that there are other possibilities to property in Ireland, and that all that's needed is a bit of ingenuity and balls.

heard Mark Victor Hansen from Chicken Soup for the Soul, the One Minute Millionaire etc is scheduled for a Guest Spot in May - is this true??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

Woodgate wrote: »
    Have thought her to be very negative and actually ignorant in the way she was laughing at people who were just having a go and doing their best, particularly in the show prior to last nights one. I know most of the people on have had crap ideas but she was very rude laughing through peoples presentations and laughing even when they were in discussion with another Dragon. So far it's not a patch on hte UK one but I'll give it time hopefully it will come good.

True enough. I think she had just one very good idea with a website + sold it...that was her only business success or am I missing something...ok, fair dues to her, but would I be correct in suspecting she is not as highly qualified to be a dragon as those on the UK series ? And how much do the other Irish dragons success owe to the property bubble in the economy ? That would make an interesting programme.

Another pretty dismal show last night I thought. I'd say the 11 companies that paid 5k each for advertising on the eco website idea are pulling their hair out right now!

I read somewhere recently that the Irish series had the highest investment ratio in comparison to any other geo locations where the show is held. How I don't know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

I'm still wating to see a decent scaleable investment oppertunity - all we see is washing lines, naff websites and gobsh1tes peddl'ing paddywhackery garbage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

And especially your woman Sarah. :eek:

Why have we an English woman on the Irish dragons den, are we that short of sucessfull Irish Women...:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭jmcc

Scien wrote: »
    While his general demeanor still annoys me, i'm warming to Sean.
    At least he's getting out the wallet anyway...
    Well he and Niall O'Farrell seem to be the only entrepreneurs amongst the Dragons. That is what seems to have made the UK Dragons Den different from the Irish one.
    That woman is terrible for the show, i get the feeling she's only there to boost her social status.
    The more I see her on it, the more I think that the producers made a bad mistake.
    Thought the Fax Cop wasn't a bad idea...
    It seems that it was a good idea that some of the panel really didn't understand. As for that Green portal making that kind of money in a few months is quite good but can they keep it up? There seems to be a distinct lack of understanding amongst the panel of technology or internet/technological opportunities.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Sarah Newman is painful to watch.

She laughs at ideas and appears to be looking down her nose at the contestants, especially any website based ones. Yes, she has had a succesful business and fairplay to her but c'mon! Offering money in exchange for 51% of the business? I wouldn't let her run my bath let alone my company.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

but sean gallagher is funny just to luck at ,how can anyone take him seriously atall, that niall is like a little boy with his comunion money, and bobby is a bit up in him self

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭betonit

how good would just one episode be with

dermot desmond
    micheal o'leary
    jp
    denis o brien
    john magner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 opensource

I have the watch the show as its very comical! the dragons come up with pure cheesy phrases. The UK Apprentice starts up again tonight on BBC1 think its taken more seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭Locamon

Sarah Newman is painful to watch.

She laughs at ideas and appears to be looking down her nose at the contestants, especially any website based ones. Yes, she has had a succesful business and fairplay to her but c'mon! Offering money in exchange for 51% of the business? I wouldn't let her run my bath let alone my company.

The Irish Dragons is just so bad..
    I couldn't believe it when the Newman tried to take over the applicant's business.
    Kinda defeats the purpose and I can't ever recall any of the UK dragons doing anything similar, defeats the point if they aren't gonna help you but actually become your employer rather than investor.:(
    Then another Dragon asks another applicant for 4% equity to keep Niall honest but doesn't say how much he is willing to pay -did he want it for free?
    Bobby's catch phrase has to be 'I'm out!' he says it so often.
    It is enjoyable watching people trying to make a go but the panel is a complete put off.

jimmmy wrote: »
    True enough. I think she had just one very good idea with a website + sold it...
    Course she did! Is anyone aware what she sold and for how much-and what it was actually making-(rather losing?) Poor Sarah.... got lucky and sold a serious loss making business thats now 18 months later going tits up! Needahotel-in the pan! Anyone ever used them actually? They are a third party site using a SERIOUSLY slow outdated affiate/third party if I'm not mistakin...

None of these "dragons" are worth a pinch of piss... They are all boring old baldy farts, that in reality have lost a wad since the shows inception.

Question that needs to be asked-would you give any of those supposed "dragons/business people" your money, business or trust?

Me, well not a feckin chance coz they're gold diggin ould feckin chancers-and none have that much to offer-besides what- a free coffee, a cheap rented suit, a hotel room we can get for feck all, a "smart home" nobody dumb enough wants and I forget what the other "FAMOUS BILLIONAIRE" is offering..... Oooops... At least the non "baldy" Gavin appears at least humanistic so we'll get a free pug in a newspaper people no longer buy..

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jerry lee

am i the only one to have noticed this, but the dragon's are wearing the exact same clothes in every single episode. it's also the same clothes they're wearing as they do their 'power walk' down the docks at the start.

just smacks of cheap production values - even if they were shooting in one day, they could have brought at least a couple of pairs of clothes... but instead all we get is:

bobby - big stupid yellow tie and del monte trousers
    gavin - purple one
    sean - taking a leaf out of eddie hobbs and wearing huge collar on shirt
    niall - from his own shop
    sarah - silly chunky necklace (i think that's what i noticed first)

if they did do it in the one day, how long did they give each contestant?? you always got the impression with the english one that some contestants are in for nearly an hour... no way with this one... either that, or poor personal hygiene!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭fergalfrog

Does anyone know how things work after a deal is made on dragons den?

If a deal is made and I work full time on the idea can I give myself a salary from the company (presuming it is making money)?

Or do I need to wait til the company is profitable and I get a percentage of the profits. When someone sells a percentage of their company I assume they are effectively selling a percentage of the profits and assets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭dublander

jerry lee wrote: »
    am i the only one to have noticed this, but the dragon's are wearing the exact same clothes in every single episode. it's also the same clothes they're wearing as they do their 'power walk' down the docks at the start.

just smacks of cheap production values - even if they were shooting in one day, they could have brought at least a couple of pairs of clothes... but instead all we get is:

gavin - purple one

if they did do it in the one day, how long did they give each contestant?? you always got the impression with the english one that some contestants are in for nearly an hour... no way with this one... either that, or poor personal hygiene!!!

On the english dragon's den, they wear the same clothes for the whole series also, so only one could presume its shot over 1 entire day. or it could be over a few days, and that they're made wear the same clothes as it's probably easier to edit the show, allowing the producers to chop & change the order of the pitches from the different days, without having the dragons in different outfits after every pitch! that would be way more annoyin!

as for the length of time the contestants are in there i feel the irish dragons give them wwwaaaaaaaaay to much time compared to the english ones.

Its on again tonight.....Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭NiallMH

fergalfrog wrote: »
    Does anyone know how things work after a deal is made on dragons den?

If a deal is made and I work full time on the idea can I give myself a salary from the company (presuming it is making money)?

Or do I need to wait til the company is profitable and I get a percentage of the profits. When someone sells a percentage of their company I assume they are effectively selling a percentage of the profits and assets.

Well I'd presume as long as ur doing work worth getting payed for , but also running the entire business aswell!

NiallMH wrote: »
    Well I'd presume as long as ur doing work worth getting payed for , but also running the entire business aswell!

But then theoretically could someone not claim the work the were doing was worth a massive salary and so be drawing from potential profit.

How do the dragons get their return on investment? Do they get a relevant percentage of the profit?

• Advertisement

How do the dragons get their return on investment? Do they get a relevant percentage of the profit?

Yeh these shares are stock shares , which from my understanding means they own X% of stock which means the profit is rightfully theres . .Please somebody with a better knowledge of business correct me on that one .

Yeh these shares are stock shares , which from my understanding means they own X% of stock which means the profit is rightfully theres . .Please somebody with a better knowledge of business correct me on that one .

Thanks NiallMH,

I can't find it any info on it on the dragons den site. I'm just curious as on one extreme they might give the money and not be involed in the business at all while the applicant was working flat out OR could the applicant just take the money and then run the business into the ground with the cushion of the Dragons investment!

Thanks NiallMH,

I can't find it any info on it on the dragons den site. I'm just curious as on one extreme they might give the money and not be involed in the business at all while the applicant was working flat out OR could the applicant just take the money and then run the business into the ground with the cushion of the Dragons investment!

Well you see , in UK DD Deborah Meaden always wants 40% < Because as she always says , I can make this work by giving it my time and effort but want to make it worth while (Big Slice of Profit for her)
    -Chances are they wont invest in one that might go bankrupt , or have an existing one go bankrupt as the Dragons are on the Board of Shareholders so any decision would be voted etc , and they would act as mentors . !
    - And also some of them go looking for 1.The Money and then 2.The dragons , not the other way around . . So they wouldnt "Abuse" the money as being Director of a bankrupt company "goes on the file"

I love the way at the beginning "Here are the Dragons on the way to the den"
    - Now they are clearly at the docks but the show is CLEARLY filmed in Donnybrook so it must be a long walk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭pcardin

Dabko wrote: »
    Watched DD for first time last, christ, it was painful.

I dont know, maybe its just me, but i just couldnt put the likes of the 'Dragons' in any sort of high regard. They just epitomise the fat cats of ireland.
    Not taking away from their selfmade successs or anything (fair play, im a strong beliver in capitalism ;)) but i think the producers of this show would have done better by finding younger, less tweed wearing entrepreneurs. I mean, these guys portrait themselfs almost like English aristocracy with smoking jackets, hunting and rolls royces!

What the show needs is young, no fancy sh1te, business people. Just my 2 cents.
    Agree with u. Sean, Gavin and Niall are more or less ok but show would be much better without fat Bobby and that Hitler's mother Sarah. Respect to th capital she made for herself but the way she talking with a candidates is radicoulous. I have a strong feeling that she is in show for two reasons: 1) to scoof on sombody and 2)to say straight after "I'm out!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

it will be good tonight to see if sarah laughs as much,
    or if sean thinks they are business lead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭pcardin

- Now they are clearly at the docks but the show is CLEARLY filmed in Donnybrook so it must be a long walk!

Beside the style they walk looks so stupid :D Like they have some sh1t in their pants.

pcardin wrote: »
    Like they have some sh1t in their pants.

PMSL :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac: , post of the year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭jmcc

pcardin wrote: »
    Beside the style they walk looks so stupid :D Like they have some sh1t in their pants.
    Perhaps someone told them the current values of their property investments. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jaffa22

Frustrated that Sarah Newman has yet to get even close to investing. Being condensending is very unattractive

• Advertisement

jaffa22 wrote: »
    Frustrated that Sarah Newman has yet to get even close to investing. Being condensending is very unattractive

That laugh is very disrespectful. Like she is some genius. I laugh at that shot of her on the golf course with the fan blowing in her face - wow you are some goddess.

What annoys me is the way she went up messing with the guitar without having a notion of investing in it.

jerry lee wrote: »
    gavin - purple one

Last night they were all wearing the same clothes again. Wonder if they will have the same outfits on to the end of the series.

Last night they were all wearing the same clothes again. Wonder if they will have the same outfits on to the end of the series.

The filming for a few weeks is all done in one day, hence the same clothers. You would have thought tho' that they'd change clothes, refresh the hair etc to make each episode look different.;)
    Still, on decent investments to be had this week, i feel asleep in bed watching it.
    Did anyone see www.seangallagher.com - he thinks hes the new Peter Jones - PMSL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭YellowSheep

I actually switched to another channel last night. What is RTE thinking?!?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Thanks for that. Brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Scien wrote: »
    Just to lighten things up....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tc6-vSYIMk
    :D

LOL - please post to humour boards.

Hi,
    I would just like to say , I really enjoy the program. I am shocked at the level of badmindedness and begrudgery on this board. If you dont like it, dont watch, but dont make personal remarks about people, who for one, are really excited and nervous about their big opportunity. Its a big deal for those people, instead of slagging people off, how about wishing them all well, for most of them, Dragons Den, may very well be the only get they get in life to pitch their ideas, be they good or bad, to potential investors, mentors, etc.
    I watch all the shows, and for me, its given me so many tips, on how to do things wrong or right, and to learn from others mistakes.
    Also taking potshots at the investors is horrible. These people are willing , at the end of the day to find good ideas and help bring them to market. Surely thats the point of the show. Does it really matter what people wear?
    I know as an apsiring business women, I could care less if someone willing to mentor and invest in me wore the same suit for three years running. Its their business knowledge I am seeking, not fashion tips.

Id also like to point out, that its ridiculous to compare the Irish version, with the English version.

There is a recession affecting everyone out there, so lets not slag people off, if you think you can do something better for the person going before the dragons, than the dragons can do, contact them, offer to help, instead of just tearing them to shreds on a forum, that is after all here to encourage and support entrepeneurs.
    remember these people took a chance, went for it, be it good or bad, they at least tried. Good for them all, I wish them all well.

Again, if you dont like the show, you can always turn off.

Jacqui Kelly.
    Starting off in business.

hi Jacqui. Your points are the reason why Irish TV is as unprofessional as it is. It's the Dragons who are making a mock of the entrepreneurs. I personally spoke with the lady who submitted the "Clean Pass" idea in length over lunch. And boy was she pissed of about the way that was handled.
    Oliver

• Advertisement

hi Jacqui. Your points are the reason why Irish TV is as unprofessional as it is.

So Im to blame LOL?

It's the Dragons who are making a mock of the entrepreneurs. I personally spoke with the lady who submitted the "Clean Pass" idea in length over lunch. And boy was she pissed of about the way that was handled.
    Oliver

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Good Karma

Is it me or can anyone see what a cutie Sean Gallagher is? I think he is really hot, I'd say he could be on the short side though! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭dougee19

how do you apply?? me has a stupid idea :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

"hi Jacqui. Your points are the reason why Irish TV is as unprofessional as it is. It's the Dragons who are making a mock of the entrepreneurs. I personally spoke with the lady who submitted the "Clean Pass" idea in length over lunch. And boy was she pissed of about the way that was handled.
    Oliver"

Hi what do you mean by this YellowSheep. I'd love to know more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭gags89

Originally Posted by NiallMH viewpost.gif

Show is filmed in taylors tree rock, rathfarnham.
    I love the show, I think entrepeneurialism (that a word) is a very Irish trait. Like owning our own plot of land!

Its not as glamourous or hollywood as the u.k but the other versions arent as good as the u.k either, they have a good balance and mix of dragons!

Open arms make more friends than folded ones.Instead of saying how terrible the show is, offer improvements they could make or how if would you have presented differently than the entrants in the den.

also play the game on bbc.co.uk/dragons den, its class!

dougee19 wrote: »
    how do you apply?? me has a stupid idea :)

like a handbag light? or a bird infested washing line that costs €1500? :D:D

• Advertisement

I have coming up, what is to me anyway, a very important meeting, next week, and as Ive watched the show, Ive used it for tips on maybe what to do, what not to do, so, for me, just starting off, Its great.
    I havent been to business school, I didnt even finish regular school, so at the very least its given myself the opportunity to see how people in business operate.

Jake1 wrote: »
    I have coming up, what is to me anyway, a very important meeting, next week, and as Ive watched the show, Ive used it for tips on maybe what to do, what not to do, so, for me, just starting off, Its great.
    I havent been to business school, I didnt even finish regular school, so at the very least its given myself the opportunity to see how people in business operate.

and what about the leprauchan hair?:pac:

+1+1+1

Im sure you know the answer, clever clogs that you are.:D
    is it the size of your iq? LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

Sean Gallagher - So .......... if I turn my head side-ways, take on a distant look and squint quite a bit, I'd be a real cutie????:cool:

Or ................. sit beside three older, over-weight, balding neanderthals, and a chick with attitude .......... and then I'd look even more of a real cutie!!!???

On a more serious note ......................... nope, sorry, I can't !!

(pauses for a moment .....)

OK - here goes. I think that the Irish Den is suffering a bit 'cos the Dragons have taken overly hard lines with some of the participants, trying to puff out their own self-importance and egos ......... might be more in their line to pay their suppliers on time instead of making statements to the papers that its an unfortunate misunderstanding or some such drivel.

Since the shows were recorded before Christmas, it's now too late to see their mistakes and correct their overly catty and critical posturing. So, we'll have to suffer on and hope that they can be more constructive in Series 2

Regarding the Clean Pass lady - I thought that was a brilliant idea but did not see all of it as I had to dash out to collect one of the kids. Before I left I did see her stumble when asked if the HSE had approved her product. I said to myself "she's screwed" as I passed the tv 'cos that's soooo obviously the first question that's gonna come up ............ it's her number 1 customer for God's sake!!! Great idea - she saw a huge opening with the state of hospital cleanliness and copied the Safe Pass idea from Construction - just not enough preparation done, from the couple of minutes I saw. Good luck to her - really hope it takes off.

• Advertisement
Advertisement