Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ah_Yeah's Quitlog

• 15-11-2012 12:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭

I listened to Allen Carr's audiobook and finished it about 3 days ago. I was smoking a cigarette yesterday morning on the way to work and thought "I must stop at the shop and get more cigarettes". Then decided that I was so sick of being handcuffed to the filthy things, and that I don't HAVE to buy cigarettes anymore. Threw the cigarette out the window and decided to stop there and then.

The physical cravings are bearable, hardly noticeable but it's the psychological cravings that are the hardest - specific times of the day, specific places I light up when driving, etc.

I know it's mostly in my head as the physical cravings are fine - I just keep telling myself "You don't want a cigarette. If you wanted one, why are you trying to stop? People don't stop doing something they enjoy".

Hopefully it will get easier :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

If you listened to Easyway, then you will know the beef by now. No point in advising.

One thing I don't think Carr covers very well is time.
    That said, he knows his stuff all the same.
    Nicotine addiction screws up your time perspective when you are in withdrawal.
    The good news is that time passes quickly. It just doesn't seem that way to you upon stopping.
    72 hours is important.

But good luck.
    See it through now.
    Come back and tell us that it was the best thing you ever did.
    Chances are it will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

Had a rough enough craving this evening after the cinema. I tried to imagine what it would taste like if I smoked, and realised that I didnt enjoy it at all, it's just an addiction and I need to ride it out.

Fingers crossed I can be this reasonable and logical all the time - I'm going to get an e-cig for nights out.

Well, yesterday was a bad enough day. No real cravings in the sense "I need a cigarette", but more of an ongoing anxious, empty, irritable feeling all day. Was bordering on not going to meet the girls, but then I realised I shouldnt let nicotine rule me. Ended up having a really good night.

Had smokers all around me today and there was a slight twinge of cravings intermittently, but nothing I couldnt handle. I really hope I can stay smoke free this time round! Third time lucky eh?!

A week off the filthy smokes today :D

It's becoming more natural that I don't smoke now, doesn't bother me when I'm at home, I struggle the most at work.

Haven't been drinking yet but I'll be doing that this weekend - have an e-cig on hand for that.

Went out last night - didnt even need the e-cig, no cravings, and even stood in the smoking area with friends and didnt feel the urge for one!! :D

• Advertisement

As you can probably see in my sig, I'm 2 weeks off the smokes today :D

The cravings, physical and psychological are definitely becoming fewer and far between - I tend to notice the psychological ones more, but brush them off quickly as "nonsense" and no need to smoke.

I don't see myself as "giving up" smoking, I see myself now as a non-smoker, so I really feel like I won't be going back on them, and I feel absolutely no sense of deprivation at all - in fact every time I get a craving, I get a fear in the pit of my stomach of what my life would be life if I went back on them :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22 VapeTime

As I read down the thread, I was thinking "Maybe an e-cig would be a good thing for you" then I saw you said you had one. Anyways, it's good that you're quitting, congrats on your 2 week mark. It's an important early milestone :)

Just keep that e-cig in mind if things ever start leaning back towards them, they can help. Even if just for the habitual act of the smoking.

Had an e-cig for a night out on Thursday, used it once for a few pulls and that was about it! Was great to know I didn't really want it :D

Nice, good job man :)

VapeTime wrote: »
    Nice, good job man :)

WOMAN :eek::eek:

:P

• Advertisement

D: Sorry!

Good job miss ^^

Advertisement